The Concert Thread

Has anyone here ever been to the Top Hat in Dublin before it closed in 1991? I keep thinking about 1978 where U2 Supported The Stranglers and ended up stealing alcohol from their dressing room after Bono had a dispute with JJ Burnel.

View attachment 23954

No, was too young, a lot of thrash gigs were there at the tail end of the 80s, including Metallica.

Saw Joe Satriani last night...WOW!
I remember when Surfing With the Alien 1st released. When the studio lp was new, the title track was 1st one I heard on the radio and blew me away! Somehow, last night was 1st time I finally got to see him live and my son loved it too!
He played songs from about 1/2 his lps and the video screen behind the band just added to each song.
His band was very good too.
I thought it was cool that during the first few songs the name of each song appeared on the video screen but thought it was odd none of the other songs did that.
Really enjoyed the variety of the moods each song had. Wasn't all fast soloing all night. About half the tunes were mellow or funky!
Anyway was a long set. My feet were screaming at me during the walk back to the vehicle!

I’ve seen his actual Guitar at Hard Rock Cafe.

Saw Amon Amarth & friends last night.

Cattle Decapitation was pretty mediocre. Very standard band in their genre, very not my thing. Spent most of it waiting for merchandise and that's fine by me.

Really enjoyed Obituary. They played eight songs, pretty fun. I might check them out a little more in depth.

Can't say I enjoyed Carcass much, but they had the bass and drums set so strong that I couldn't hear anything else. The blast beats were so heavy I could feel my chest vibrating with every one. They played 10 songs but it was fast.

Amon Amarth was really good, though. It was all later-career music, which is fine, because that's the good stuff. Only 15 songs was a little light, but it was a solid set, in and out, and the crowd was fantastic. The new songs played better live than on the (fairly mediocre) album, and they hit all the notes you'd want them to hit. I was smart and got close to the door before the encore, so I was out as soon as the music finished and on the road pretty quickly.

Can't say I enjoyed Carcass much, but they had the bass and drums set so strong that I couldn't hear anything else. The blast beats were so heavy I could feel my chest vibrating with every one. They played 10 songs but it was fast.
Haven't seen them live, but I have watched some of the live vids and they're better in the studio. Necroticism and Heartwork are monster records filled to the brim with some of the best riffs of all time.

Saw Amon Amarth & friends last night.

Cattle Decapitation was pretty mediocre. Very standard band in their genre, very not my thing. Spent most of it waiting for merchandise and that's fine by me.

Really enjoyed Obituary. They played eight songs, pretty fun. I might check them out a little more in depth.

Amon Amarth was really good, though. It was all later-career music, which is fine, because that's the good stuff. Only 15 songs was a little light, but it was a solid set, in and out, and the crowd was fantastic. The new songs played better live than on the (fairly mediocre) album, and they hit all the notes you'd want them to hit. I was smart and got close to the door before the encore, so I was out as soon as the music finished and on the road pretty quickly.
LOVE Obituary! Seen them 4 times and as I learned the material, enjoyed more every time

Yeah, I really thought they were good. I'll get a little into the albums at some point. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to see them but I'd happily attend something that comes near.

Nice to hear that you’ve gotten into some death metal over the past few years at any rate! For me it’s always come down to finding which band clicks with you since the genre can be pretty samey at times. But when you find a band that connects with you, you’ve uncovered a treasure trove, harsh vocals be damned.

My final gig of 2022 was last night, courtesy of Volbeat. I have no other words but it was absolutely incredible. Michael Polson had an awful cold, and was coughing the whole night, but he still put on one of the best vocal performances I've heard this year. The rest of the band were on fire too. I wasn't expecting my final gig of the year to be up there with one of the best.

1671552764668.png

I managed to do 19 gigs, and two festivals this year, I wonder if I can top that next year? Roll on 2023!

Jan 13th - Trivium, Birmingham
Jan 17th - Sleep Token, Birmingham
Jan 30th - Holding Absence, Stoke
Feb 1st - Frank Turner, Stoke
Feb 17th - Gojira, Cardiff
Feb 21st - Beast in Black, Birmingham
Feb 22nd - Avatar, Wolverhampton
Mar 7th - Dream Evil, Wolverhampton
Mar 12th - Ice Nine Kills, London
April 4th - Devin Townsend, Wolverhampton
April 15th - Sabaton, London
Jun 29th - Porcupine Tree, Manchester
Jul 4th - Iron Maiden, Birmingham
Oct 28th - Electric Callboy, Birmingham

My final gig of 2022 was last night, courtesy of Volbeat. I have no other words but it was absolutely incredible. Michael Polson had an awful cold, and was coughing the whole night, but he still put on one of the best vocal performances I've heard this year. The rest of the band were on fire too. I wasn't expecting my final gig of the year to be up there with one of the best.

View attachment 24189

I managed to do 19 gigs, and two festivals this year, I wonder if I can top that next year? Roll on 2023!

Jan 13th - Trivium, Birmingham
Jan 17th - Sleep Token, Birmingham
Jan 30th - Holding Absence, Stoke
Feb 1st - Frank Turner, Stoke
Feb 17th - Gojira, Cardiff
Feb 21st - Beast in Black, Birmingham
Feb 22nd - Avatar, Wolverhampton
Mar 7th - Dream Evil, Wolverhampton
Mar 12th - Ice Nine Kills, London
April 4th - Devin Townsend, Wolverhampton
April 15th - Sabaton, London
Jun 29th - Porcupine Tree, Manchester
Jul 4th - Iron Maiden, Birmingham
Oct 28th - Electric Callboy, Birmingham
You're honored, I only did 3 this year

February 19, O2 Academy Birmingham, The Stranglers.
March 24, Resorts World Arena Birmingham Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds, featuring Inglorious's Nathan James as The Voice of Humanity.
September 24, Frank Turner, O2 Academy Oxford.

I
Therapy? were FUCKING brilliant last night in Guildford.

I got fist bumps from Andy and Michael at the end of the gig and a very sore neck after headbanging a lot. The atmosphere was electrifying and all the jumping and pogoing made me feel like I was 18 again. The sore neck this morning reminded me I am 46 though!
Ive seen Therapy? at the 2019 O2 Academy Stranglers gig. My mum didnt like them though.

Back