"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for replying. meliegree, cyanopsis

I think i found the leak, but im at work!! Me and a coworker want to hear it right now, and we could, but we are making plans to go for some trooper beer and pizza, with good speakers, but that wont be until another 6-7 hrs damn it!
i can't wait after all the comments here !!! (but oh well i have waited this long, what is some more hours)

One of the nice little surprises about The Red And The Black is how the "woah ohs" stop when you expect the usual sets of 4 and how it's part of the song rather than tacked on. One of the main criticisms of The Final Frontier was it was long just to be long. This is not the case here. Nothing feels dragged out so far.

One of the nice little surprises about The Red And The Black is how the "woah ohs" stop when you expect the usual sets of 4 and how it's part of the song rather than tacked on. One of the main criticisms of The Final Frontier was it was long just to be long. This is not the case here. Nothing feels dragged out so far.

Good, maybe it can shut up negative nancy's like @blindg3

:p

Tji
This is my initial reaction as well. From my very limited listening of this so far, this doesn't sound like a band well into their 50's when they should be declining.

They sound very tight & on top of their game almost as if they have something to prove. They seem inspired & you can clearly hear it.
This is very important to bear in mind. If some of you are wondering why other bands, that might have 20+ years in the business, are putting out less inspired albums, it's because they need to have a continuous touring and album schedule because that's their income. They don't have much to say regarding their music, as long as it gives them the opportunity to go back to the road. So it's mind blowing how a band like Maiden really have this urge to still be relevant musically. I love them immensely for that!

Okay, was disappointed at first listen so I went out and ran a 5k in pure frustration. Going to listen again now while I'm dead and can't do anything else.

More and more i firmly believe we are experiencing the unleashing of a landmark album.

What i'm REALLY curious about right now is how the rest of the world is gonna react to it. I mean, we don't exactly live in a album-driven world in terms of audience, you know?

Agree 100% with you. It doesn't feel "forced" at all.

first disk is nothing short of instant classic. speed of light fits pretty well. the solos! red and black perhaps longer than it could have been.

So... am I the only one that is dissapointed here? I've been reading nothing but praise so far, but I think this is a major step down from AMOLAD and even TFF. It all sounds very unfocused. Where are the catchy harmonies? All I hear are single guitar licks, barely any twin or triple guitar licks. Those are a staple of Iron Maiden. Janick's solos are terrible. Back on the previous records they'd write them before going into the studio but with this "studio writing style" they even sound "live" on the album. And we all know how Janick's live solos sound. I've never been a too big a fan of Maiden's departure towards more "chuggy riff" style on the reunion albums and it sounds like they doubled down on it here. Where's the awesome soaring guitar licks like on SiT and SSoaSS? And the mastering...what the hell? Why do the solos sound so distant? They don't sound in the mix at all. I hoped that Speed of LIght was the only one that had this, but nope, the whole album has it.

On my first listen I give this a 3/10. Very dissapointing. I hope it's a grower.

For some reason the production seems inappropriate to me. The guitar work is really good. On most cases the vocals sound random. Some song could have been shorter. Sure there is lot to take in. But the lack of hooks is a bit alarming if you ask me. The album has some exploding parts to be honest with you. Don't know what to say...I only liked IESF on first listen. TRATB sounds like some random and dragging parts put together! I don't know but the whole album sounds a bit random on first listen. I admit this is an album you can't judge after one listen.

I am FLOORED by this song at how good it is. Intro before the verse is what's up. Take the buttery sounding intro to Coming Home, jack it up with more twists and there you go. Great solos, great chorus...Maiden still surprises me after all these years.

Album sounds to me like it's combination of post millenium song structures with riffs from 80's. It's Maiden doing really really solid work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back