"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you just say "This forum would think Speed of Light was the best song ever if it was Sign of the Cross"?

Because no. This forum considers Sign of the Cross the 5th best song ever.

I never got why we need to praise every Maiden song that is longer than 7 minutes, just because it happens to be long. SOL seems like a perfectly fine song that has got the Bruce and H stamp all over it. I t was about time we got a decent Maiden rocker.

EDIT: sometimes I think that if SOL had a 3 minute acoustic intro everyone would love it.
No, it has nothing to do with the lenght of the songs: wicker man, Lord of the Flies, Rainmaker, The Trooper and the list goes on... All good songs and short.

Nicko s stamp also with the cowbell .

I never got why we need to praise every Maiden song that is longer than 7 minutes, just because it happens to be long. SOL seems like a perfectly fine song that has got the Bruce and H stamp all over it. I t was about time we got a decent Maiden rocker.

EDIT: sometimes I think that if SOL had a 3 minute acoustic intro everyone would love it.
It would have been perfect if it didn't have such a long solo, or maybe another verse instead.

I don't love Speed of Light, but I quite like it, so I don't see why people think there's a negative tone to it.

Hopefully we get some tour dates announced tomorrow as rumored. That will give us something new and exciting to talk about.

Also, I know Janick said he likes it when not a lot of new music is made available ahead of time, but with Black Sabbath, Disturbed, Queensryche, and I think Judas Priest all streaming their last albums a week ahead of time, a possibility does exist that Maiden will do it too.

I don't love Speed of Light, but I quite like it, so I don't see why people think there's a negative tone to it.
I don't see a negative tone about it either.

There's no contradiction in saying "Speed of Light is a good song" and "Speed of Light may turn out to be one of the album's weaker songs". I think both are true.

It would have been perfect if it didn't have such a long solo, or maybe another verse instead.
I honestly don't get this attitude. If you want short, poppy rock songs, there's a place for that. I don't know where that place is, but I don't think it's on a modern Iron Maiden album, a band that has been trending towards "longer" and "even longer" for the last 20 years. Maybe what you're saying is that inside many long good songs are good short songs, but to me, it sounds like, "I miss the days of Iron Maiden making shorter songs because reasons and I want those days back."

It's not that I blame anyone for being nostalgic for the past or whatever, I just...the past is still there. It's on CD, vinyl, and for some, cassette tape.

On the last 4 albums, the short rocker released as a single has always been one of the weaker songs on the album, but I still enjoyed all of them a lot.
I honestly don't get this attitude. If you want short, poppy rock songs, there's a place for that. I don't know where that place is, but I don't think it's on a modern Iron Maiden album, a band that has been trending towards "longer" and "even longer" for the last 20 years. Maybe what you're saying is that inside many long good songs are good short songs, but to me, it sounds like, "I miss the days of Iron Maiden making shorter songs because reasons and I want those days back."

It's not that I blame anyone for being nostalgic for the past or whatever, I just...the past is still there. It's on CD, vinyl, and for some, cassette tape.
And if you take the different parts of the longer songs, there are a lot of elements of shorter songs in them. There's just more of it.

And if you take the different parts of the longer songs, there are a lot of elements of shorter songs in them. There's just more of it.

It's like cutting off half the Mona Lisa. You might like the individual piece better, but you're not getting the full message the original artist intended. At that stage, you're becoming the artist. Which is fine - I don't have a problem with that (to a certain extent, of course). But stop calling it Iron Maiden songs if they're being edited, because they're not anymore.

But there is just 5 minutes worth of music ideas in the latest epics anyway. ;)

No. I am not really nostalgic. I like long songs. But I just can't stand long intervals without vocals.

But there is just 5 minutes worth of music ideas in the latest epics anyway. ;)
No, there really isn't. For whatever reason, the writers of the songs made honest decisions to add longer refrains, extra choruses, more instrumentals, or even a few more repeats of the title. It doesn't always work - and it doesn't always work for every listener - but it is intentional. The music as written and performed are as the entity Iron Maiden wants it to be. Not always how Steve Harris or Bruce Dickinson or Adrian Smith want it to be, but the entity as a whole.

Those extra lines in For the Greater Good of God that people slag? Why is it there? Could it be that Steve wanted people to think about what that fucking means, the incredible hypocrisy in the demands of people to kill for their peace-loving zombie jew?

The long drawn out instrumental in Where the Wild Wind Blows? Could it be that we are literally listening to the musical death of people, and that subject deserves an appropriate epitaph?

Every single chorus in The Angel and the Gambler was placed there for a reason. It might not be a great reason, but it's there for a reason. Hate the songs if you want, but don't cut their fucking legs off and declare you've made a masterpiece. If you cut the legs off Michaelangelo's David because you don't like how tall he is, you're not making art. You're fucking destroying it to feel better about yourself.

It's like cutting off half the Mona Lisa. You might like the individual piece better, but you're not getting the full message the original artist intended. At that stage, you're becoming the artist. Which is fine - I don't have a problem with that (to a certain extent, of course). But stop calling it Iron Maiden songs if they're being edited, because they're not anymore.
I'm actually agreeing with you. I like that there's more of it. But those that want more short rockers should listen more to the longer songs and they would hear a lot of the elements of the short rockers. Just more of those elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back