"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, where does this fit into all of this?

Fans Editing out a few minutes from a song is "heresy" but the Artist including a few minutes into a song that aren't actually aren't their original Music without crediting the original artist isn't?

Please notice how PlayClassics!, rather than answer the points previously made, switches his avenue of attack.

I don't think anyone here would consider the various parts of Beckett's work that have ended up in a few Iron Maiden tracks to be appropriate without crediting. Except...

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-beckett-connection.19282/

Let me show you the key phrase:

The Drummer of fucking Beckett said:
To to put the record straight: we were not informed of their use of our material, nor were we paid any fees. I love what they have done with all our material; I love Nicko's drumming on Rainbow's Gold, and I consider it a compliment that they should use our material and bring it to the attention of the world and out from obscurity where it had resided for a long time. However... the matter is now under discussion amongst the principle members of Beckett; in particular Bob Barton who wrote Life's Shadow. Further developments at our end will be posted here for your edification.

There you have it. The band was flattered, but they're talking about legal repercussions, as they should, and no Maidenfan blames them for that. I don't remember how that went, but I think that's a fair enough answer for you right there.

How do I see it? A homage. Steve made the music part of something different, and while he should have credited the artist it came from, it's also right that he didn't represent it as the complete work of the original artist. Which is what I was saying. He didn't say "I made better Beckett". He said "I made Iron Maiden."

Please notice how PlayClassics!, rather than answer the points previously made, switches his avenue of attack.

You make it sound like a swordfight, lol. I take it as a compliment of being skilled on the attack, but you're obviously quite good at parrying!

I don't think anyone here would consider the various parts of Beckett's work that have ended up in a few Iron Maiden tracks to be appropriate without crediting. Except...

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-beckett-connection.19282/

Let me show you the key phrase:

There you have it. The band was flattered, but they're talking about legal repercussions, as they should, and no Maidenfan blames them for that. I don't remember how that went, but I think that's a fair enough answer for you right there.

How do I see it? A homage. Steve made the music part of something different, and while he should have credited the artist it came from, it's also right that he didn't represent it as the complete work of the original artist. Which is what I was saying. He didn't say "I made better Beckett". He said "I made Iron Maiden."

This actually makes good sense.

In the producer discussion, I think it's important to remember that Martin Birch acted as a coach for a young band who didn't really know what they were doing in the studio. Kevin Shirley came in after this band (more specifically Steve Harris) had spent ten years watching the master and learning how to do it themselves. Whether we agree with their decisions or not, they know the sound they want to get by now and know how to get it. Kevin Shirley is there to give help where it's needed, but he's not driving the ship the way Martin Birch was.

I think the "Kevin Shirley isn't doing his job" comments that get tossed around are very inaccurate. I wasn't there so I could be totally wrong about this, but it's my interpretation of the interviews, documentaries, and just listening to the music presented. It sounds like Steve Harris is the producer with Kevin Shirley guiding him on the more technical/engineering side of things that Steve might not know how to use. Steve has the vision and Kevin Shirley is there to bring that to life. Whether we the audience like the result is a different matter. Simply put, Maiden doesn't need coaching anymore. They've been doing this long enough that they know what they want their albums to sound like. I think even Martin Birch would be smart enough to not be as hands on with the band 30 years into their career as he was when they were just starting.

Well, I would be much happier if such an awesome song as SSOASS was cut off on the 5th minute.
The second half of SSOASS makes me very happy, so there. Why would your happiness matter more than mine?
yahoo_56.gif

Does anyone know when iTunes will have the samples of The Book Of Souls to preview, I also got tickets to ''An audience with Nicko McBrain'' Sunday 6th September - Sway bar London - 12pm - 3pm. :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back