"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about the production quality or anything. Just the merits of the song itself are really strong in my opinion. I know this is a tough crowd around here though.

Yeah, but if we talk about single vs single we must think about production quality. But you're right - song is strong and I realy want SOL to be better beacuse that would be just mind-blowing.

They should blow minds (and nothing else) with new record.

Yeah, but if we talk about single vs single we must think about production quality. But you're right - song is strong and I realy want SOL to be better beacuse that would be just mind-blowing.

They should blow minds (and nothing else) with new record.

That's some pretty high standards right there. I myself am just hoping for 11 good to great songs. I would never expect my mind to be blown by a single anyway.

I doubt very much that the new album will have better production quality than Brave New World. Even though Adrian says he's more happy with it than TFF I'm pretty certain Brave New World will remain the most polished sounding of the new era albums. Just don't want to get our hopes up too high. I'm expecting a pretty raw sound but with more embellished guitar sounds (and hopefully vocals). Since everyone is praising Bruce's vocal performance I'm assuming they did more takes and took their time a little more with that aspect. Sounds like a good compromise between live takes/spontaneity and also taking the time to get things right this time around!

My theory is that in the current climate in the music industry production quality just isn't something that delivers any kind of return on investment for all parties involved. With so few people buying albums it just isn't sensible to spend a lot of time and money creating a polished studio product. I think that's part of the reason behind Redeemer of Souls sounding like a bunch of demos. The new Nightwish album still sounds beautiful however so Nuclear Blast might still care about putting out a nice sounding product.

Where Maiden is concerned I think the live recording approach is simply the way they like to record now. And changing things up within that framework, like what was done with the writing in the studio this time, is what allows them to keep their sanity and keep making new music. So if that's the way they want to work and the only way they'll write new songs for us I'll gladly take it! It just isn't feasible for them to make a Martin Birch sounding album in this era of their career. At least we have those albums to love and appreciate forever and at least Maiden are still creating fantastic new songs for us even if they are a little rough and live sounding in places.

Don't know if this prediction has been made yet, but I'm almost certain the Speed of Light video is going to be one of those lyric videos.

I'm thinking both. Lyric video with an animated Eddie and a bunch of Mayan imagery.

My theory is that in the current climate in the music industry production quality just isn't something that delivers any kind of return on investment for all parties involved. With so few people buying albums it just isn't sensible to spend a lot of time and money creating a polished studio product. I think that's part of the reason behind Redeemer of Souls sounding like a bunch of demos. The new Nightwish album still sounds beautiful however so Nuclear Blast might still care about putting out a nice sounding product.

The new Nightwish album sounds great, much better than the rather compressed Imaginaerum. An album like Endless Forms must be very difficult to mix and master when taking into account all the instruments and so much else going on, but I think this time Nightwish used a similar approach to Maiden for a very live-ish sound. I prefer this way of mastering compared to the loudness war nonsense of other popular metal music. So what if I have to crank up the volume a little bit, it's not a big deal. That's why I get so confused about all the talk here about issues with the AMOLAD and TFF production and mastering. Dance of Death was one of the worst casualties of the loudness war so I much prefer the more hands-off mastering job of AMOLAD and TFF. Maybe they can reach some sort of middle ground with TBOS.

I'M SO FREAKING FREAKING FREAKING PUMPED AND EXCITED AFTER READING ALL OF WHAT'S BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I love New Frontier and The Final Frontier so a combo of those would be fine by me! But I'm more excited than ever in the history of everything!!! OMG!!!

Oh, here's a new pic of Bruce that goes with the album's theme:
4,w=993,c=0.bild.jpg

I'M SO FREAKING FREAKING FREAKING PUMPED AND EXCITED AFTER READING ALL OF WHAT'S BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I love New Frontier and The Final Frontier so a combo of those would be fine by me! But I'm more excited than ever in the history of everything!!! OMG!!!

Oh, here's a new pic of Bruce that goes with the album's theme:
4,w=993,c=0.bild.jpg

Where's that pic from, Travis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back