"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that as he was working on a solo album, was. And as much as I dig Bruce's solo stuff, I'd take a new Maiden album any day. Really excited to hear his solo contributions on this one - they sound amazing!

Maybe. I figured it meant he had set it aside for a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm freaking out with excitement for Speed of Light and the new album. The fourth can't get her soon enough.

Read the interview closer. Bruce specifically says he is not working on a solo album. He said he let Steve use the song because he wrote it for his last solo album and doesn't plan on releasing another one any time soon.

Death or glory reminds of new frontier??!! Man the "DOG" is moving up the list of songs I'm looking forward to!! NF is totally overlooked and unique. If it's anywhere close to similar, with better production??!? This wait is getting harder and harder.
The other thing jumping off the page is the "best since ssoass" remark. DAAYYAAMM!!!

Read the interview closer. Bruce specifically says he is not working on a solo album. He said he let Steve use the song because he wrote it for his last solo album and doesn't plan on releasing another one any time soon.

That's also an interview with a currently rough translation. The reviewer from PopMatters tweeted that IESF was supposed to be the title track off of Bruce's next solo album (whenever Bruce planned to actually go forward and record/release it), but Steve heard it and asked to have it on TBoS instead. It sounds like PopMatters probably has had an interview with the band too.

Weeks ago I through out a prediction that there will be a song regarded so highly, that will be considered by many to be the best Maiden song ever.
I'm starting to think Bruce's album ender, Empire of the clouds, may be it. Just what the Fu** do we have waiting for us there? It sounds life altering.

Weeks ago I through out a prediction that there will be a song regarded so highly, that will be considered by many to be the best Maiden song ever.
I'm starting to think Bruce's album ender, Empire of the clouds, may be it. Just what the Fu** do we have waiting for us there? It sounds life altering.

I expect it'll be a good knock 'round the ol' ears, ya know? Don' wanna get my hopes too high now.

I don't want to be optimistic too much so my attitude at this moment can be described as "new Maiden album - yaaay". But i'm dying inside...

I got the impression Empire will blow a lot of people away, but won't be everyone's cup of tea — sort of in the sense that some didn't like Wild Wind because of its "Maiden does folk" vibe. Empire is going to be different — I'm almost sensing Maiden does November Rain, but longer with a Broadway story.

From what we know by far my expectations are:
Best song - The Red And The Black
Worst one /less useful/ - the ballad Bruce wrote for his solo and didn't use so far.

Last edited:
From what we know by far my expectations are:
Best song - The Red And The Black
Worst one /less useful/ - the ballad Bruce wrote for his solo.

If Eternity Should Fail hasn't been described as a ballad though... in fact, it's apparently the heaviest song in Maiden history. Are you referring to The Man of Sorrows, which is apparently a ballad written by Steve and Dave, but has the same name of a song off of one of Bruce's old solo albums?

Death or Glory
Death or Glory
It's Death or Glory
Death or Glory

I wish it was the single

Death or Glory
Death or Glory
Death or Glory
Death or Glory

My main issue with Final Frontier was that Bruce's voice sounded weak. Even on Talisman, he seemed to be straining to hit notes and had a "breathy" sound. I chalked it up to age. Now we're getting reviews saying he sounds amazing on the new album, so I'm not sure what to believe. From the teaser, it's clear the production blows the last three albums out of the water. Anyone who's knowledgeable about music production: could a bad recording make a singer sound so much different?

To my ears, Bruce's voice is fairly similar on Tyranny of Souls and Final Frontier. I thought he sounded great on a Matter of Life and Death, especially The Longest Day. Chilling, really. If there's more of that on this album, we're in for a treat.

Or "Empire" could be a rhyme of the ancient mariner/bohemian rhapsody/suite sister Mary/subdivisions/stairway to heaven blend...:edmetal:!!! Just a thought :yes:

My main issue with Final Frontier was that Bruce's voice sounded weak. Even on Talisman, he seemed to be straining to hit notes and had a "breathy" sound. I chalked it up to age. Now we're getting reviews saying he sounds amazing on the new album, so I'm not sure what to believe. From the teaser, it's clear the production blows the last three albums out of the water. Anyone who's knowledgeable about music production: could a bad recording make a singer sound so much different?

To my ears, Bruce's voice is fairly similar on Tyranny of Souls and Final Frontier. I thought he sounded great on a Matter of Life and Death, especially The Longest Day. Chilling, really. If there's more of that on this album, we're in for a treat.

I'd say Bruce's vocals sounding off has much more to do with the production on TFF than his abilities. Just listen to how much better he sounds on those songs on En Vivo - it's almost night and day.

If Adrian is correct that he had a greater hand in the production this time or that it's more to his liking I can almost guarantee that we can expect the best sounding Maiden album since BNW especially with the vocals and guitars.

It's true. From what I've read, the main issue with Bruce on TFF is the production mindset. They were too concerned with getting everything in as few takes as possible for that "live" feel. Even if it meant leaving mistakes. I'm definitely not a fan of that style. I'd prefer the studio versions to be perfect. Hopefully, based on what Adrian said, and what we've heard of Bruce's performance, that won't be as much of an issue this time.

I could play the melody with the vocal - like on ‘The Red And The Black’ on this album - and then Davey could be crashing the chords; there could be clean chords; all sorts.

This is something I could do without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back