"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow parts to albums seem very important to me. They give the album space to breathe and grow. Maybe some people don't like the intros and outros but honestly, I don't want a 60 minute album of constant gallops. That seems exhausting.

Different parts, maybe, but knowing Maiden, more continuity, not full-on 'hey let's stop dead, tinkle around with a keyboard, then have a bit of monologue, before going off at a totally different tangent'.

I really hope that all the songs don't start like AMOLAD's intros. All but like 2 songs start the same way. Don't get me wrong, AMOLAD is my favorite Maiden album and I really like the clean guitars and slow paced intros, but it gets repetitive when it's on almost every song now a days.

That slow intro trend followed into final frontier as well. I'm with you Kyle,. Occasional slow intro song is cool but please not the majority.

I don't see the big deal in getting a lot of slow intros. You do get the rest of the song which rocks out pretty good.

And wow! I see some people are able to hear the album already! We should be getting some full album reviews in not too long from now.

I'm all for slow bits. A bit of variety in their placement would be nice however. Maybe just an extra long one at the end.. or how about one in the middle? Mix it up a bit. Breeg is the worst offender of this, the slow intro is great, the outro is unnecessary.

Can't find it. But anyway, he didn't say any more than you quoted it, did he?
kStYIyy.jpg

They have done some "never done before" stuff already. Journeyman, Wasting Love, etc. I am trying to think what could be so different but not a ballad. In other words, which other song(s) made you go, "I can't believe it's Maiden!"?
I also felt that The Thin Line, Dance Of Death, Paschendale, The Legacy, and Wild Wind all had their own unique, original sound and feel to them.

Tmwwbk. Definitely new stuff there. Cool groovy midsection is a 'unique maiden flavor' :yes:!

Bruce's vocals at the end of Wild Wind ("Can't believe all the lying...") are very atypical for Maiden. They have a bluesy, free-flowing vibe that I don't remember hearing before in any Maiden tunes.

I feel like, of all their albums thus far, The Final Frontier showcased the largest range of musical departures for the band. Rhythmically, Starblind is very different from any prior material. Isle of Avalon had its fusion inspired middle section, and the song as a whole just had a very different vibe from what Maiden has done previously. The Man Who Would Be Kings lush intro/middle/outro and the style of melodies/progession on When the Wild Wind Blows were also notable instances of musical departure. And obviously Satellite 15, though I feel like that was a one off experiment as opposed to a possible sonic avenue to pursue further.
With regard to the slow intro, I thought they did a really good job of making said intros far more unique, diverse and engaging on the previous album, whereas on AMOLAD there were a few times that the intros did feel redundant and all seemed to bleed together. If they keep up the sonic diversity of the intros like the did on The Final Frontier, I will have no issue.
And besides, the intro is still part of the song you can enjoy. I get the feeling a lot of people see the intros as separate pieces.

I am really excited to see where they go with Book of Souls. Will it be as energetic as DoD? as dark as AMOLAD? as diverse as FF?
I just wanna sleep till September 4th.

The sleeping isn't going to work.
Last night I had a dream (The first of many, I fear) I went to buy Book of Souls, and I was stupidly exited. I opened the CD case an nothing was inside. The cashier then non-chalantly said "You didn't ACTUALLY think they would release another?"
Fresh despair coursed through my veins as I awoke, only to be usurped by the reality of unfulfilled yearning...Its not going to be a smooth ride to September 4th.

If you could choose any one song off Book of Souls to be released as a single, what would you choose?
My vote goes for 'When the River Runs Deep.' Why? Well, primarily due to its placement. Whenever we get a single, it obviously becomes the first part of the album that we a familiar with, and since its nestled between two of the longer epics on the album, I think it'd allow us to absorb the two tracks a bit better and offer a somewhat of a break for the listener during initial play throughs.
My gut tells me it's going to be a ballad-esque song so by that logic, it'd have the necessary hooks to work as a single, and the length suggests it might have a few twists and turns composition wise that might suggest the stylistic leanings of the rest of the album.

Of course, I could be super wrong, but there's nothing like wild speculation and conjecture to pass the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back