"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know i'm in the minority but in my opinion fear ot the dark is one hell of a good album, although i forgot to mention that i also don't like from here to eternity, so that's basically three weak songs on that one vs. nine good to great ones. on the other hand, let's face it (even though it has its moments like on al the great): somewhere in time is pretty boring.

Boring as in fucking awesome?

BTW Mercyful Fate kick ass
Melissa and Don't Break the Oath are definitely among the best heavy metal albums ever made. :rocker:

i know i'm in the minority but in my opinion fear ot the dark is one hell of a good album, although i forgot to mention that i also don't like from here to eternity, so that's basically three weak songs on that one vs. nine good to great ones. on the other hand, let's face it (even though it has its moments like on al the great): somewhere in time is pretty boring.
So you would take The Apparition and Chains of Misery over Deja Vu and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner? Damn.

Compared to the 7 albums that came before them and the 6 that came after, I think both No Prayer and FOTD are VERY weak albums. Maiden's 2 worst for sure IMO. I will admit a guilty pleasure and that I actually enjoy The Apparition quite bit though. Then again, enjoyment of any Maiden song shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. :p

Oh, 19 days to Speed Of Light! Ya, I'm starting a countdown now. This is just too damn exciting!

So you would take The Apparition and Chains of Misery over Deja Vu and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner? Damn.
no, as i've said, the apparition is weak, chains of misery is good. i don't care for loneliness, but deja vu is okay i guess. tbh, i had somewhere in time on cd, did never like it and this friend of mine told me how great it was etc., basically was like you guys, but he'd somehow lost his copy or something, so i gave it to him and never felt any regret. i don't like the songs, the sound, idk, heaven can wait sums it up for me: boring.

Kicking it in the lounge mgm Las Vegas ...the RUSH tailgate party is on.. Heineken goin down smooth and checkin in on the maidenfans boards for BOS info and for a few laughs!!! An evening with the pwer trio begins!! Yeeaahhh!!! Good night all!! Up the irons....:shred:

Fear of the Dark, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide, Childhood's End and Be Quick or Be Dead.
Afraid to Shoot Strangers is probably the most overrated Maiden song ever. I can't stand that joke. A ballady intro + the title repeated several titles. Nothing else. WTF? There are other songs on that album I would consider good.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is probably the most overrated Maiden song ever. I can't stand that joke. A ballady intro + the title repeated several titles. Nothing else. WTF? There are other songs on that album I would consider good.

Have you experienced it live? The whole song builds up to "no trust no reason, no more to say" and BOOM "Hey! Hey! Hey!" "Afraid to Shoot Strangers!" Yes, it's a song carried only by the strength of the melodies in the guitar work - but that doesn't make it any less good.

Have you experienced it live? The whole song builds up to "no trust no reason, no more to say" and BOOM "Hey! Hey! Hey!" "Afraid to Shoot Strangers!" Yes, it's a song carried only by the strength of the melodies in the guitar work - but that doesn't make it any less good.
Yes I have, unfortunately.

Oh, 19 days to Speed Of Light! Ya, I'm doing a countdown now. It's just too exciting!
I have no copy. I only remember from hearing it live (2 times)
Which is it? First you say you would consider other songs on the album to be good and then you say you have no copy and have only heard ATSS live twice. How could have heard the songs on the album that you consider to be good and not hear ATSS from the album and only live?

Last edited:
I know the feeling, I get stomach sickness once people say that BMW and TXF are amazing :facepalm:

In my opinion Iron Maiden has never made any bad albums... most fans hate The X Factor but I thought it was awesome, very dark, melancholic, introspective and at times a little depressing and Blaze's voice compliments the music very good, it has one of my favourite Maiden songs, Sign Of The Cross and when I knew it was based on The Name of The Rose, one of my favorite books, I loved it even more... I love Bruce's voice a lot more, but Blaze did a good job in it... it's a great album to listen to on a rainy afternoon...

Yep. FOTD is, by a mile, the worst Maiden album. 5 good tracks, rest is garbage.
I think that this is true for all albums after FOTD too (even worse than that if I am completely honest)! At least FOTD gave us ATSS,WL,BQOBD,JDMG,FOTD,CE.....what did the albums after that have to offer?
Not really,I just hate BN(M)W. The rest of the albums after that are much better.
First you say you don't like all albums after FOTD and then you say you like the stuff after BNW. Which is it?

Ok,once and for all.:cheers: All albums up to FOTD are much better than anything they did after that. TXF and VXI were so bad I almost jumped ship.

Since then Maiden are getting better with each album.However they are still a long way behind the classics. This doesn't mean that there are not parts/songs I enjoy.With TFF I think they got to a level where you can hear a band play as apposed to a band putting random ideas together in a couple of weeks(at least for a large part of the album)This is my view.

That sucks, your copy must be missing all those awesome guitar melodies, harmonies, and solos.

It really pains me to criticise my favourite band but even though Afraid To Shoot Strangers has some incredible guitarwork (perhaps the finest harmonies of the NPFTD/FOTD period) the opening meanders aimlessly for too long and the chorus is uncreative. Ive always felt the title track would have worked better at number three on the tracklist as the album needed an adrenaline shot of heavy metal in the arm to recover from the poppiness of From Here To Eternity. Childhood's End would have made a smart, subdued album closer.

FOTD was bittersweet for me. I remember my disappointment with the album but the jubilation of seeing them live on tour.

TXF and VXI were so bad I almost jumped ship.

My friend, Maiden returned to form with The X Factor. This is when their modern epic approach to metal began to evolve.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I fail to understand how an album with an awful cover,questionable production quality,completely lacking any real harmony work, that overuses single guitar melodies,a mediocre singer who is out of tune at times,with songs that lack any real riffs,a song that is completely ripping HBTH,paper thin guitars,without any real fire to the songs and groove,can actually be a return to form. It has some good parts but for the most part sounds like a ill produced and arranged demo to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back