"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that type of mindset. It is called I-am-too-lazy-to-do-my-job-properly.

So Steve is lazy because he chose an unfinished cover that the creator wouldn't want his name associated with, for choosing a rough master that Shirley wasn't finished with, and not letting Adrian re-record his rough demo? Yeah, that sounds like it exactly. He's so lazy he don't want other people to do their job properly.

I think that Satellite 15... is okay, I particularly like the last thirty seconds or so as the intensity builds and then leaves a couple of seconds of silence before the opening riff of TFF kicks in although like many other people I often skip it these days and just get straight to The Final Frontier.

My main issues with it are that it is overlong for a quite repetitive piece and that it represents something of a waste of potential. An atmospheric, spacey introduction could have been really excellent were it not so unpolished.

That's impatience, not laziness.

One point where he is lazy, though, is the "keep the same setlist throughout the tour" policy. But discussing that is like beating a dead horse ...

6a22ec1372350bb64757502d070d8492.jpg

So Steve is lazy because he chose an unfinished cover that the creator wouldn't want his name associated with, for choosing a rough master that Shirley wasn't finished with, and not letting Adrian re-record his rough demo? Yeah, that sounds like it exactly. He's so lazy he don't want other people to do their job properly.

No offence but this is exactly what this seems to me. After TXF which took ages to record,Steve seems to want recoedings to be over asap. This makes the albums have quite few parts done in a sloppy way and structures that are not that fitting.

*sigh* I hate to admit it, but I kind of have to side with Gk1, at least to the extent that I can think of a few examples in the songwriting throughout the albums that have a bit of an unpolished feel to me. They are few and far between, but they are there.

I agree that there was unpolishedness. I just didn't see how it had anything to do with laziness. It was more impatience, like Wingman put it.

*sigh* I hate to admit it, but I kind of have to side with Gk1, at least to the extent that I can think of a few examples in the songwriting throughout the albums that have a bit of an unpolished feel to me. They are few and far between, but they are there.

This is why I miss Martin.He had his way with the sound and he was a perfectionist.

Well, Steve sounds like he's said, in interview, that BoS is even more live/rough (written & recorded really quickly, is that what he said?) sounding than anything they've done previously. I'm guessing the result might not be to everyone's liking...
A lot of the songs were actually written while we were there in the studio and we rehearsed and recorded them straight away while they were still fresh, and I think that immediacy really shows in the songs, they have almost a live feel to them, I think.
Does this comment fill you guys with hope?

Last edited:
Well,this might be true.But I would have been much more concerned if we did not have so many songs by H and Bruce.Ok,I know the info on the last song kind of shout it was recorded fast but then again Bruce is the composer. How bad could a sloppy take of Powerslave be?!It would still run rings around mkst of the things Maiden did over the last 20 years

Well, Steve sounds like he's said, in interview, that BoS is even more live/rough (written & recorded really quickly, is that what he said?) sounding than anything they've done previously. I'm guessing the result might not be to everyone's liking...

Does this comment fill you guys with hope?

It depends on the material. AMOLAD was almost theatrical/film like in nature and the raw live feel was appropriate. TFF needed more polishing, a lot of it depended on atmosphere and layers and production plays a massive part in something like that. The exact same thing is the case with the The X Factor, another album that largely depended on atmosphere.

How bad could a sloppy take of Powerslave be?!
When you take out all the gorgeous guitar work in the middle (the stuff Bruce clearly didn't write, despite the credits), all the music which really makes it the tune it is (in my opinion), then not sloppy; just nothing special.
It depends on the material. AMOLAD was almost theatrical/film like in nature and the raw live feel was appropriate. TFF needed more polishing, a lot of it depended on atmosphere and layers and production plays a massive part in something like that. The exact same thing is the case with the The X Factor, another album that largely depended on atmosphere.
I agree with what you say, Flash. I'm just saying, this sounds like a lot more of what a whole bunch of folks (you included) have just been talking (some complaining) about above:
It is called I-am-too-lazy-to-do-my-job-properly.
...could have been really excellent were it not so unpolished.
This makes the albums have quite few parts done in a sloppy way and structures that are not that fitting.
...I can think of a few examples in the songwriting throughout the albums that have a bit of an unpolished feel to me.
I agree that there was unpolishedness.
Aye/naw?

When you take out all the gorgeous guitar work in the middle (the stuff Bruce clearly didn't write, despite the credits), all the music which really makes it the tune it is (in my opinion), then not sloppy; just nothing special.

I agree with what you say, Flash. I'm just saying, this sounds like a lot more of what a whole bunch of folks (you included) have just been talking (some complaining) about above:

I didn't complain about unpolishedness in general. Sometimes unpolishedness makes the work even better. It's a crucial element of punk rock and punk influenced music, for example. Kill 'Em All, for instance, wouldn't be as good as it is if it were produced cleanly or was polished further. Unpolishedness made AMOLAD better, it made TFF worse. Here's hoping BoS is in the same vein as the former.

I didn't complain about unpolishedness in general. Sometimes unpolishedness makes the work even better. It's a crucial element of punk rock and punk influenced music, for example. Kill 'Em All, for instance, wouldn't be as good as it is if it were produced cleanly or was polished further. Unpolishedness made AMOLAD better, it made TFF worse. Here's hoping BoS is in the same vein as the former.
Agreed. But, is it a sound that people want to hear on an Iron Maiden studio album? I'm just curious, as there seems to be quite a difference of opinion about the production value of various albums.

Well personally, I don't have clear cut edges about what Maiden, or any artist I like for that matter, does. If Maiden goes ahead an does a hiphop album, I'll listen to it and critique it the same way I'd do for a classic heavy metal album. It's either good, or not good. That's all I'm concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back