"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
YYDUOJr.jpg

Does the unpolished sound have to be a matter of laziness or impatience? I've been getting the impression over the years that Steve just likes that unpolished sound. He seems to like to just present the material warts and all, as it captures the band's live essence. That always seemed very intentional to me.

Does the unpolished sound have to be a matter of laziness or impatience? I've been getting the impression over the years that Steve just likes that unpolished sound. He seems to like to just present the material warts and all, as it captures the band's live essence. That always seemed very intentional to me.

That's what I said, but someone suggested it was due to incompetence/impatience.

Ya, I agree that it's more Steve's style than just laziness.
NO DAMN NEWS REGARDING THE BOOK OF SOULS.
We probably won't hear much more until people who get promo copies start writing full album reviews as well as when we get Speed Of Light and the audio samples.

I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but this is the 3rd time Maiden will open an album with a song over 6 minutes long. And no, I don't count Satellite 15...TFF as one song. S15 in an intro to TFF and I see them as 2 separate pieces.
Where Eagles Dare, Caught Somewhere in Time, Sign of the Cross..so 3 already.

So all in all we concluded that the unpolished sound that Maiden get by just doing a few live takes,has nothing to do with them being lazy while recording.On the other hand the highly sophisticated sound of their old albums is something that just happened and has nothing to do with them being perfectionists back in the day and actually paying some attention to the whole process....hm ok.

So all in all we concluded that the unpolished sound that Maiden get by just doing a few live takes,has nothing to do with them being lazy while recording.On the other hand the highly sophisticated sound of their old albums is something that just happened and has nothing to do with them being perfectionists back in the day and actually paying some attention to the whole process....hm ok.

I can't really see what you're arguing. BNW is more polished and more produced than anything Birch even attempted to do. AMOLAD is both better played and recorded than any of their classic efforts. Listen to how the snare sits in the mix! Brilliant work by one of the most highly regarded producers working today.

I can't really see what you're arguing. BNW is more polished and more produced than anything Birch even attempted to do. AMOLAD is both better played and recorded than any of their classic efforts. Listen to how the snare sits in the mix! Brilliant work by one of the most highly regarded producers working today.

When I think of AMOLAD the weird cut of the vocals in BTATS come to mind.Bruce is not even sjnging the full words at some parts.I also remember the really annoying and varying drum sound and the level of the mix throughout The Legacy.The really fake choir - or is it just key oards? - on FTGGOG chorus also sounds weird to me.Sure the snare drum used is the same as the one Nicko used in albums of the past. Is this recording on par with any of the Golden Era records?!Sorry mate but I don't see it this way. IMO if u want to hear great Snirley proction u need go through the Bonamassa records he did lately.

As for BNW it was Nicko who said that indeed the drum sound was way too high in the mix.Sure the rest of the band sounds quite OK but IMO the guitar work on most of the album is really simplistic and the songs seen rushed and half baked.

The songwriting on A Matter Of Life And Death is exceptional. It contains several riffs that are among Maiden's heaviest, vintage Maidenesque guitar harmonies, and Maiden's best reunion era rocker (The Pilgrim), Dave's guitar solo in TROBB is my fave ever and Adrian's on TCDR is my number two of all time. AMOLAD is my default "go to" album...it has aged even better than Benjamin Button.

My number one. Here's hoping it is pushed back to number two by The Book Of Souls.

IMO the choruses on AMOLAD are about the worse found on a Maiden album.The weird time changes most of the songs go through just to incorporate the choruses....wnich are then bland and repeated to death,are just not fitting most of the times.DW is a joke if you ask me. TLD and LOL (hehe) choruses are just weird and neverending. The album has some great instrumental parts but every song manages to bore me. I feel that the sound has a lot to do with it.However it is still an improvement to the two first 00s albums.

Sure the snare drum used is the same as the one Nicko used in albums of the past.
Which (is it though?) automatically makes it sit perfectly, with zero or almost no effort.

Wait a minute... o_O

So to summarize your thoughts on BNW's sound:

Too loud drums
The rest of the mix sounds "quite okay"

If you're going to argue that it doesn't sound very good you should make a stronger case...

and "they play too simplistic".
Half baked songs

and the rhetorical query "is this recording on par with any of the golden era records"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back