"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys actually watched a recent vid of GNR or seen them live? They put on a good show IMO. And they do extremely long sets. It's lame that they can't make an album more than once a decade, but I can't imagine leaving one of their shows disappointed.

Have you guys actually watched a recent vid of GNR or seen them live? They put on a good show IMO. And they do extremely long sets. It's lame that they can't make an album more than once a decade, but I can't imagine leaving one of their shows disappointed.
But you'll leave it tired since that POS over-egotistical fuck Axl likes to force his audiences to wait so he can have control over them by coming on super late.

GNR was the first rock band that I liked, I was pretty obsessed with them. I still listen to their songs and I like the chinese democracy album. But the last show I saw (through TV broadcast), was that awful Rock In Rio 2011 performance. That show made me stop caring about them a little bit and since them I only see old videos. Maybe it's time to check more recent videos...

GNR are such a joke right now, their "new" album which will be released "this year" was recorded in 2006-2007, so basically songs not good enough for Chinese Democracy ::) and a 8-9 year delay is ridiculous for an album that probably wont be that good anyway, at least when Iron Maiden delayed an album it was only by 7-8 Months and they had a pretty damn good reason to and in the end we got a masterpiece out of it.
The only hope for GNR now is this http://www.movienewsguide.com/guns-n-roses-reunite-classic-appetite-lineup-slash-thinks/88751

GNR are such a joke right now, their "new" album which will be released "this year" was recorded in 2006-2007, so basically songs not good enough for Chinese Democracy ::) and a 8-9 year delay is ridiculous for an album that probably wont be that good anyway, at least when Iron Maiden delayed an album it was only by 7-8 Months and they had a pretty damn good reason to and in the end we got a masterpiece out of it.
The only hope for GNR now is this http://www.movienewsguide.com/guns-n-roses-reunite-classic-appetite-lineup-slash-thinks/88751
And this is what it will take to make that hope come true: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it...s-lineup-into-a-rehearsal-room-says-promoter/ Why the fuck would it take all that? Oh, that's right. Axl.

Anyway, back on topic. I can't wait to get the deluxe edition and that hardcover book in the mail!

And this is what it will take to make that hope come true: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it...s-lineup-into-a-rehearsal-room-says-promoter/ Why the fuck would it take all that? Oh, that's right. Axl.

Anyway, back on topic. I can't wait to get the deluxe edition and that hardcover book in the mail!

I imagine Axl is what Di'Anno would have been like if he had been more successful post-maiden :D

Just ordered the Deluxe edition yesterday, it was cheaper than the standard edition oddly enough

I don't understand it too. I mean - he can sing in lower registers and he does it amazing but yet he still record songs with high notes where I can't understand him 80% of time. What's worse - many songs prove that he still can sound like beast without using higher register, he just refuse to do so.
I agree with you and @Kkbou - he sounds powerful in the lower registers. Just compare his sheer power in If Eternity Should Fail against the too-fast high notes he has to sing in The Red and the Black (or other stuff the Mother of Mercy chorus etc).

I sugest all of you see THIS

If Eternity Should Fall... I can't listen to him repeat the wrong title over and over. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, that's for one. I like to compare two songs about similar topic - Aces High and Death or Glory. I love aces high, anyone does but now this song sounds little bit no-cool-as-years-ago. And then we have DoG where he almost doesn't use higher register and yet - it sound really ok. First lines and way he deliver them are so awesome that I still sing them, they have power and melody and he can easily sing them.

I just don't want to see him going down like Halford.

I agree with you and @Kkbou - he sounds powerful in the lower registers. Just compare his sheer power in If Eternity Should Fail against the too-fast high notes he has to sing in The Red and the Black (or other stuff the Mother of Mercy chorus etc).

If Eternity Should Fall... I can't listen to him repeat the wrong title over and over. :rolleyes:
Yeah, and he also confused Wasted Years with The Evil That Men Do. If you're gonna review something, get the freaking facts straight. Glad he liked it, but if I hadn't heard the album, I'd take that guy's opinion with a grain of salt.

I am making a little pause with the album until the official release. Here is what I wrote in "the TBOS Tour predictions" thread, which pretty much corresponds to my appreciation of the album so far. "EOTC" is one of my favourite, but the realist in me tends to doubt it will be played regularly. ;)

In the setlist:
"If Eternity Should Fail"
"Speed of light"
"The Red and the Black"
"The Book of Souls"
"Tears of a Clown"

Not kept:
"The Great Unknown"
"Shadows of the Valley"

Big question mark:
"When the River Runs Deep"
"Death or Glory'" (I guess they will pick one of the two)
"The Man of Sorrows"
"Empire of the Clouds"

Oh, you mean I spoiled it for myself... well, I didn't. Let me explain this.

I have my CD pre-ordered. That means it will be delivered per DHL, the advertised delivery date being Friday, 4. September. So the earliest possible date for me to listen to the album if I waited for my CD to arrive would be when I come home on Friday evening. Except that it isn't. I would hold it in my hands at that time if DHL delivered on time and delivered the package to my 20-something next-door neighbours who would have to be home on a Friday evening for me to pick it up, all of which are variables I know better than to rely on. I wouldn't be able to pick it up from the post on Saturday because I won't be home. And even if I actually got it on Friday evening, I will be home late and have to get up very early the next morning, so a relaxed listening session which allowed me to immerse myself to the album is out of the question. I won't be home on Saturday or Sunday, so unless I want my first listening experience to be on the train with shitty earphones, I would have to wait until Monday to listen to my CD in any case. Unlike other members on this board, I can't just take a day off work to listen to an album, and both my friends and my uncle would not be particularly understanding if I told them I'd miss their wedding and birthday respectively because I want to listen to a CD. So my options were:
  • Wait until Monday, 7. September to hear an album I have been dying to hear for months now and that everybody else here has been talking about in extremely detailed posts that I had to read due to my moderator duties
  • Hope to receive the album on Friday, then try to sit down and listen to it while having a thousand things on my mind concerning the next days and no time to digest what I heard afterwards
  • Hope to receive the album on Friday, rip it to 320kbps MP3s, load them on my smartphone and listen to a 1.5 hour album on Saturday on two separate 45-minute train rides, one in the morning, one in the evening, with my shitty earphones
  • Hope to receive the album on Friday, rip it to 320kbps MP3s, load them on my smartphone and listen to a 1.5 hour album on Sunday on a 1.5 hour combined train/bus ride where I have to change several times and focus on catching the right station
  • Download a 192kbps advance leak and listen to it on a relaxed Sunday evening together with my girlfriend, with whom I can talk about what we heard together after we immersed ourselves into listening to every note on a not top-notch but still decently listenable MP3 version on full volume on my HiFi speakers (or earphones, in her case)
Which of these options seems the least spoiling to you? I've listened to AMOLAD and TFF on advance leaks as well, and I didn't feel they ruined my experience. And I would describe my listening session last night as magical and overwhelming.
Wel

GNR right now are a joke.Axl from 2006-2010 was in top form but since RIR 2011 disaster he has sang horrible to these days (2014)

BTW there will not be an album next year basically two of their 3 guitars have left the band,and reunion rumours all over the internet since Slash and Axl are friends again.

But Axl is horrible right now.

Just got the album! After 2 months of waiting I can't believe I have it. Deluxe was only $16 too, a bit cheaper than what I've seen online.

I'm in love with this song, although I don't like the intro because it is way too similar to wasted years. I know it's probably on purpose, but I don't get it. Why so similar?

Just got the album! After 2 months of waiting I can't believe I have it. Deluxe was only $16 too, a bit cheaper than what I've seen online.
Didn't you say you're from Denver? What store?

Ah ok. Well cool, I might go by the store after work anyway. Fingers crossed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back