"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I think there's a whole bunch of us who have been avoiding all reviews. I'm only getting the first information about the songs from Foro.

I havent read the last many reviews, mainly because they all started to say the same things....but I read the first big reviews.

Getting more and more excited now the closer we get to album release.....

Foro's reviews of the songs seem so much more down to earth than the overblown reviews.

I've been toying with the idea of coming up with a rubric to more objectively grade IM songs.
Anyone done that on the forum here?
I do it all the time
when I'm grading art student works at art school....and it covers all creative mediums..from sculpture/drawing/painting/video/music etc.

Could easily adapt one of my standard grading rubrics to music etc.
OR....I should just shut up and wait for BOS :nuts:. That's super nerdy. I'm killing time at this point :)

I don't think that you can "rate" music - it's to emotional. For example I adore NPFTD beacuse it brings so many happy memories and so on - how to grade that?

5 years ago Blabbermouth gave The Final Frontier 9/10 (To high imo)
http://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/the-final-frontier/

Way too high. Thankfully, this isn't the same guy who reviewed TBOS. Because I don't share a lot of opinions in common about this album. He was pretty ho hum throughout this entire review & then decided to give it a 9. Very strange. To me, FF is the weakest album post reunion, along with DOD. Let alone on the same level as BNW...for me anyway. And I don't feel BNW is anything truly special to begin with.

I read this review and well - I agree. My opinion was the same for first two - three days. Now I think that's great album but too light and clean in some places. Strong 7.5/10 from me.

I don't think that you can "rate" music - it's to emotional. For example I adore NPFTD beacuse it brings so many happy memories and so on - how to grade that?
Certainly rating or grading music or any art form will never be truly objective. It's the elusive nature of creative endeavours. You're right too, it is emotional, especially if memories are attached. But you can phychologically or emotionally step back and see it in a broader context, examine its components and at least do a reasonably objective rating of it.
I've learned over the years to stand back and rate artwork that I may not personally like or respond to, but when I grade it, it comes out quite strong.

Guess I've just been semi wondering if I could apply that criteria to Maiden's tunes. But like you said...They are heavily attached to memories for me too :)

It's something I might do in the future. A bit busy at work for the mo...and of course salivating over BOS

Blabbermouth's current reviewer, who they have had for quite some time now, gives almost every album he reviews at least an 8/10. It's VERY rare that he goes below 8 so I'm not sure how serious you want to take his score.

Well, 8 day left! I'll have to check out Foro's reviews when I get the chance.

iron maiden - 9.5
killers - 9.5
#OTB - 9.0
POM - 9.5
POWERSLAVE - 10
SIT - 6.5
7th Son - 9
NPFTD - 6.5
FOTD - 6
X - 2
VX11 - 3
BNW - 7
DOD - 5
AMOLAD - 6
TFF - 6

Iron Maiden - 8,00
Killers - 8.5
The Number Of The Beast - 9.0
Piece Of Mind - 9.5
Powerslave - 10
Somewhere In Time - 9,5
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 9,5
No Prayer For The Dying - 6,0
Fear Of The Dark - 7,00
X-Factor - 6,00
Virtual XI - 5,00
Brave New World - 8,00
Dance Of Death - 7,00
A Matter Of Life And Death - 7,00
The Final Frontier - 6,0

I've been toying with the idea of coming up with a rubric to more objectively grade IM songs.
Anyone done that on the forum here?
I do it all the time
when I'm grading art student works at art school....and it covers all creative mediums..from sculpture/drawing/painting/video/music etc.

Could easily adapt one of my standard grading rubrics to music etc.
OR....I should just shut up and wait for BOS :nuts:. That's super nerdy. I'm killing time at this point :)
I would be interested in hearing your ideas on this rubric and trying it along with you. I've never rated every Maiden tune but have been meaning to. This sounds like a really interesting way to go about it. And because you have experiencing doing the same with visual art, I'd be quite interested in what you would come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back