"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else annoyed at Steve Harris' obsession of trying to make albums 'sound live' as possible? Just make damn well produced albums. I don't care if it's post-processed.
I like when Maiden makes songs with lots of effects and synths etc.
Lately Harris seems to want to make "Rock" albums instead of albums with a 'huge epic' sound which I love from Maiden.

Agreed. I'm very over this type of production.

First impression?

Well, first time through I wasn't all that thrilled. The verses just seem to be lacking something. The chorus was great and the solos were good, there was just something missing. Then I replayed the video (which was totally awesome by the way) and...it was so amazing the second time around!

Exactly the same happened with me. When I played the first time, it didn't get me at all. From second time on, I love it more and more (and now I am listening it maybe for the 37th time). The video is their best ever and Speed of Light is actually their best single since The Wicker Man.

Personally I find

Seventh son of a seventh son

Worst because they didn't even give us two verses.

In fact it's

It's THE worst, because the rest of the track is SO best

Oh definitely. For a while I thought that Brave New World was my favorite Maiden album until I realized how long certain songs dragged on. The WORST offender for me personally is Ghost of the Navigator. A good sounding song that is totally ruined by the endless chorus repeats to the point that it really stresses me out while listening to it. This is why I never listen to that song anymore. I get mentally burned out by that song every time.

Hm, of all the incredibly repetitive songs on BNW, one of the least repetitive ones is the one you dislike the most? Whatever floats your boat, but that's just weird. Ghost of the Navigator, to me, is pretty much the only classic song on that album after Wicker Man.

Dropped my expectations for the new album a bit. I have no idea how anyone can professionally mix drums that way and think it sounds good.

Reactions: Gk1
Hm, of all the incredibly repetitive songs on BNW, one of the least repetitive ones is the one you dislike the most? Whatever floats your boat, but that's just weird. Ghost of the Navigator, to me, is pretty much the only classic song on that album after Wicker Man.

I really don't like the chorus of GotN. It's so whiny and besides that, I don't like the chord progression or the melody in how it's sang? It's almost ALMOST like a nursery rhyme the way it goes up and down. It's just something personal I guess. And then the follow-up chorus...ehh idk something about the whole thing is just way too loud, too annoying, too repetitive, and then they then repeat it again and again and again and again. And again, and again...and again and again. And again and again and again and again and again. Grating as fuck.

Now choruses from SSOASS or BNW are amazing. It's the same line over and over but the musical aspect is satisfying. This proves that I don't simply dislike 'repetetive choruses' but just ones that don't sound musically great....and which are repeated 12 times at the same time.

OK, Chorus is great. One of the better ones since 7th son.
Intro is odd hearing maiden going this route, especially the cow bell.
It's more of a heavy rock n roll tune as opposed to metal which is OK
Bruce sounds very good. God bless him!
I hear Sanctuary all over the heavy riff under the verse. Am I nuts?

Hello!

I've been meaning to post about the new album for some time. I'm eager to hear the upcoming release after the longest absence to date, but don't care to speculate too much. The single 'Speed of Light' follows a typical Maiden first release. It is better than 'El Dorado' but I'm unsure yet how it compares to other 2000s first releases. 'Wildest Dreams' is my favourite first release since reunion. The chorus is great, but as always, too repetitive. I like the solo, but the drums at times feel like they're not quite mixed right. Usually I have no interests in the videos, but I have to say this may be the best video I have seen. Love the idea of video game Eddie. The initial shooter reminds me of RoboCop.

* I used to post here frequently what seems like ages ago under "Genghis Khan". *

Agreed. I'm very over this type of production.

Yeah, I was under the impression we'd maybe get something cleaner sounding than TFF which was a step above DOD/AMOLAD since they were back in the studios where they recorded BNW and from what Adrian said in that interview...but the sound from the single sounds like the production is back to the DOD/AMOLAD quality of sound again. Not necessarily a bad thing - But I had hoped for something more clear.

Yeah, I was under the impression we'd maybe get something cleaner sounding than TFF which was a step above DOD/AMOLAD and since they were back in the studios where they recorded BNW and from what Adrian said in that interview...but the sound from the single sounds like the production is back to the DOD/AMOLAD quality of sound again. Not necessarily a bad thing - But I had hoped for something more clear.

I'm a bit conflicted on that myself. However I will say that I think the production is still the best we've had since BNW, at least in terms of mixing. Dave mentioned in a magazine sometime ago that he wanted to recapture his old tone from the NotB/PoM days and while I don't think he got that sound exactly, the mixing does remind me of an early 80's Martin Birch album. It's more Heaven and Hell or The Mob Rules than anything else, though that's hardly a bad thing at all.

I have no idea how anyone can professionally mix drums that way and think it sounds good.

The drums really suffer the most yeah...Some of the fills just sounds like a rumbling mess, you can't tell the tom sounds from each other. Snare and kick sounds pretty good though.

To me the sound is more bass heavy than on TFF which might be why I'm thinking DOD/AMOLAD. Or am I wrong?

The drums really suffer the most yeah...Some of the fills just sounds like a rumbling mess, you can't tell the tom sounds from each other. Snare and kick sounds pretty good though.

To me the sound is more bass heavy than on TFF which might be why I'm thinking DOD/AMOLAD. Or am I wrong?

The sound is definitely 'fuller' than it was on TFF, I think. However this also sounds heavier than DOD or AMOLAD too, I think.

i cant believe what im reading on here maiden have released an amazing track and your moaning about it are you real maiden fans or what i think some people just like picking at the band and just fart about on here Up THE IRONS

i cant believe what im reading on here maiden have released an amazing track and your moaning about it are you real maiden fans or what i think some people just like picking at the band and just fart about on here Up THE IRONS

I personally am really enjoying the song. However I don't think it's wrong if other people dislike the track or feel underwhelmed by it. We all love Iron Maiden for different reasons and expect different things from them, whether we realize it or not.

Personally I find

Worst because they didn't even give us two verses.
The chorus is actually good even though it's repetitious. It's the lack of lyrics in the second half that makes it so bad.

I just got back from Best Buy with the single. And before anyone asks, I grabbed the only one the store by me had. Going to go crank the CD to see if it sounds remarkably different than the youtube clip. Stay tuned.

looking forward to reading your thoughts on sound quality differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back