"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else annoyed at Steve Harris' obsession of trying to make albums 'sound live' as possible? Just make damn well produced albums. I don't care if it's post-processed.
I like when Maiden makes songs with lots of effects and synths etc.
Lately Harris seems to want to make "Rock" albums instead of albums with a 'huge epic' sound which I love from Maiden.

jmspaceship_e0.gif
Speed of Light

Anyone else annoyed at Steve Harris' obsession of trying to make albums 'sound live' as possible? Just make damn well produced albums. I don't care if it's post-processed.
I like when Maiden makes songs with lots of effects and synths etc.
Lately Harris seems to want to make "Rock" albums instead of albums with a 'huge epic' sound which I love from Maiden.
I hear you. Given the amount of live albums they release there's no point making the studio albums sound live too, as we'll all get the live version eventually anyway!

I hear you. Given the amount of live albums they release there's no point making the studio albums sound live too, as we'll all get the live version eventually anyway!

Yeah I think Harris means more of a 'recorded in one go' sound, where effects are minimum and the guitar sound levels are more in your face.
I have no problems with a few songs doing just that, though to be honest I don't like Maiden's short "Rock" songs. I prefer complex, epic, melodic, longer and more progressive Maiden songs like To Tame A Land, Alexander, Powerslave, The Nomad, These Colours..

Short or long - that's something that I can stand. I just can't stand standard-chorus-reapeat-x20. But after that single I'm curious about those epics. We can assume that this kind of sound will be in all songs so - how will this affect longer, epic songs. My guess is - it can be amazing.

I'll copy my comment of the song here from the video thread:

For me, the song is a decent rocker, but the Wicker Man is still better, as are El Dorado and TFF.

The cowbell is really out of place in the song, and the first drum fill (in between the cowbells) raised a question mark above my head as soon as I had heard it. Really really weird timing, in the middle of nowhere.

As for the lyrics, they're pretty superficial. Event horizons are mentioned, plasma, planets, moons... But in its entirety, the song is just listing "space things" without much meaning. A step down from the extremely clever El Dorado lyrics.

Short or long - that's something that I can stand. I just can't stand standard-chorus-reapeat-x20. But after that single I'm curious about those epics. We can assume that this kind of sound will be in all songs so - how will this affect longer, epic songs. My guess is - it can be amazing.

Oh definitely. For a while I thought that Brave New World was my favorite Maiden album until I realized how long certain songs dragged on. The WORST offender for me personally is Ghost of the Navigator. A good sounding song that is totally ruined by the endless chorus repeats to the point that it really stresses me out while listening to it. This is why I never listen to that song anymore. I get mentally burned out by that song every time.

I never knew so many Maiden fans dislike repeating choruses so much! I think when Maiden does it, it just fits the song. Repetition isn't necessarily bad.

Speed of Light is growing on me with each listen. It's a good high-energy straight-ahead blazing rocker. But it just makes me want the prog epics even more!

I like it better than the singles from TFF for sure. Absolutely love the video!

It's great to hear Bruce doing something different here. His vocals remind me a lot of Ian Gillan, with some really awesome vocal runs.

The music itself is good, but nothing spectacular. The melody line from the sample is definitely the best part, although I do enjoy the solos. Once I learn the song on guitar I'll probably appreciate the main riff more. As of now, it's a solid new Maiden single, but once again not indicative of the album itself.

I never knew so many Maiden fans dislike repeating choruses so much! I think when Maiden does it, it just fits the song. Repetition isn't necessarily bad.

Speed of Light is growing on me with each listen. It's a good high-energy straight-ahead blazing rocker. But it just makes me want the prog epics even more!
It depend on chorus. If it's something like

The final frontier
The final frontier
The final frontier
The final frontier

or

A brave new world, in a brave new world
A brave new world, in a brave new world
In a brave new world, a brave new world
In a brave new world, a brave new world

OR

Your time will come, your time will come

It can be tiresome to listen.

Well,nice song not more,strange start,really very Deep Purple,i like the chorus,Bruce voice when he tries to reach high notes its a bit forced,but he is starting to face his age......

The video is Ghost n Goblins,Robocop,Sonic,Skyrim...

I ordered the single at Best Buy ... picking it up on the way home today. This will be my first CD purchase (I usually just buy records) since TFF came out

Really liked the song, very catchy and keeps growing on me. Better than El Dorado, TFF, DW and WD in my opinion, and honestly I didn't expect more - after all it's just post 2000 Maiden single. Also liked Bruce's vocals, really powerful and energetic. Chorus's repetition didn't bother me at all, as it's not one line being repeated 16 times like at the end of TFF.
And the video is amazing, put a big smile on my face. Definitely one of their best.
Hail to that. Studio version should be as polished as it can be and live versions should "try" to live up to that. Quite opposite to the situation where live version of WTWWB from En Vivo simply demolishes the studio one.

It depend on chorus. If it's something like
Personally I find

Seventh son of a seventh son

Worst because they didn't even give us two verses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back