"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maiden hasn't had a gold album here since No Prayer so I highly doubt they'll even do that again.
As far as I've seen, Book of Souls is by far the biggest September 4 release. Not a lot of big releases in the weeks prior either. It'll probably be their first USA #1.
That will help for sure.

Well they might get gold anyway since it's a double album but yea getting gold is a bigger achievement now than it was in the 80s/90s. Last year only two albums went platinum: 1989 by Taylor Swift and the Frozen soundtrack. It's insanely rare now.

Ah, good to have that cleared. It's no big deal. Like I said, the band already had a very amazing following here and probably doesn't care a whole lot about that. It still would be kind of cool to see.

I am quite honestly sad for Maiden fans who don't use message boards and rely solely on Facebook, Twitter, reddit, etc. They will never have a community where they can discuss the music or band in depth.

In my experience, you might have 1 (maybe 2 if you're lucky) friends that like Iron Maiden, and they probably don't like them as much as you. This places gives you a group to chatter endlessly with about the incredible experience of being a Maiden fan.

I think part of that is that a lot of people want to have their say publicly and maybe be part of a small conversation, but aren't that interested in being part of a community. Twitter, reddit and FB pages are set up for just that. Closed FB groups are a different matter, you get a lot of regulars having conversations in those.

But anyway, I digress. The Glide Magazine Janick interview is back online.
http://www.glidemagazine.com/146517/iron-maidens-janick-gers-talks-book-souls-tour-plans-interview/

They really are rather good at this not leaking music thing. I expected it to be all over the internet by now.

I can't wait. It will be awesome no matter whay. Speed of light will only tell how awesome it will be in scale o 1 to iron maiden. And with so many songs written by Bruce for me it's iron maiden & Bruce solo album at once. Yay!

The flood begins...

Doesn't go into too much depth about any specific tracks, so those who don't want it spoiled needn't be worried.
http://thequietus.com/articles/18529-iron-maiden-interview

Great insight from Adrian:

AS: [SIGHS] Some of the albums we’ve done in the past were a little bit under polished for me, to be honest. I like power and heaviness but I also like a little bit of delay on the vocals, stuff like that. But I don’t get involved in mixing them. Kevin and Steve like to do that on their own but I have to say I was really happy with the way that this one sounds.

I actually have trouble getting Kevin to put any effects on my guitar! He doesn’t like that. He likes everything very straight up. I have to twist his arm and sometimes we bump heads a little bit, but I’m really happy with the way that this album sounds. It’s the right blend of the rawness of the performance but with a bit of polish…and that was probably because I was bending his ear about it every five minutes [LAUGHS].

Nice. Now we know that album is good. Mr. Smith said that!! :D

Our lord and savior, H, has spoken. We're in for a good ride. :D

Great insight from Adrian:

AS: [SIGHS] Some of the albums we’ve done in the past were a little bit under polished for me, to be honest. I like power and heaviness but I also like a little bit of delay on the vocals, stuff like that. But I don’t get involved in mixing them. Kevin and Steve like to do that on their own but I have to say I was really happy with the way that this one sounds.

I actually have trouble getting Kevin to put any effects on my guitar! He doesn’t like that. He likes everything very straight up. I have to twist his arm and sometimes we bump heads a little bit, but I’m really happy with the way that this album sounds. It’s the right blend of the rawness of the performance but with a bit of polish…and that was probably because I was bending his ear about it every five minutes [LAUGHS].

So Adrian didn't exactly get more involved with the actual process himself, he just nagged the hell out of Kevin while they were recording it! Sounds like it worked though!

As far as I've seen, Book of Souls is by far the biggest September 4 release. Not a lot of big releases in the weeks prior either. It'll probably be their first USA #1.

I think TFF was the band's first #1 in the USA. I remember hearing about that the week after the album dropped, but I could very well be wrong about that.

The quietus interview and the French review are both really interesting and in-depth, the radiometal review perhaps is a little more negative than some of the other reviews that have been posted so far but it is still making me very excited to hear the album.

Also very glad to hear that Adrian seems to be more pleased with the production this time around, whilst I like the very raw, direct mastering for AMOLAD it didn't feel quite so appropriate for TFF (as other posters have said in much more detail.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back