THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

Well, as the Live Stream went, I thought it was an excellent showcase of what a great live band Maiden (still) are, but to truly represent this tour I was (ever so slightly) disappointed by the absence of a few things:

1. Any of Bruce's banter between the songs (at all),
2. @chadthedrummer7 's inflatable monkeys (!!)
3. Bruce's "striptease" in the last show of the tour.

No way. It sounds like a semi-pro mixed stream capture, like Wacken did. The drums have more definition than a stream version usually would, but that's it. En Vivo is miles above this, it actually sounds like a live album.

I'm watching it on youtube now. This brings back some great memories and reminds me why Maiden became my favorite band this summer.

I can't wait until what happens on the 13th!!

I'm so happy we have this, and that it's free. However, this might be my least favourite of any official live footage.

Hardly any wide shots. Most of this video, is a shot of one band member before switching to a shot of the next band member and so on. Which gives very little indication of where one band member is in relation to another, and makes the whole thing feel kind of small.

It's as if they are aiming to be less epic and more intimate, however, it's hard to be intimate when these shots of single band members change so quickly.

Yes it's slower than Rock and Rio, and Death on the Road, but those had wider angle lenses, and were pulled back a bit more. So despite shots being edited together quickly, you could still get a sense of where everyone was, and what they were doing.

I don't mean to sound so negative, there is a lot to love about this, it's nice to have the new songs live, and I'm sure I will watch this many times.

I watched it 'live' last night and thoroughly enjoyed.
Sounded great to me, although seemed to tail off nearer the end. Maybe my ears.
But I'm still not liking the new stuff. Enternity is fine and Speed of Light is very good but the others, not for me.
Personally, I'm glad Hallowed's gone. Encore songs work very well.

Hardly any wide shots. Most of this video, is a shot of one band member before switching to a shot of the next band member and so on. Which gives very little indication of where one band member is in relation to another, and makes the whole thing feel kind of small.
I thought this when I was watching last night also. The bigger picture seemed to be missing.

I'm so happy we have this, and that it's free. However, this might be my least favourite of any official live footage.

It's as if they are aiming to be less epic and more intimate, however, it's hard to be intimate when these shots of single band members change so quickly.

Yes it's slower than Rock and Rio, and Death on the Road, but those had wider angle lenses, and were pulled back a bit more. So despite shots being edited together quickly, you could still get a sense of where everyone was, and what they were doing.

I don't mean to sound so negative, there is a lot to love about this, it's nice to have the new songs live, and I'm sure I will watch this many times.

I'm not sure where Maiden are going with this one. Your points above are valid and the visuals seemed poorly edited. In Death or Glory Dave Murray played 3 different guitars. Three songs in Bruce loses the Black Hoodie and then has it back on on the next track. Sometimes the guitarists are clearing not playing in time with the sound. Bearing in mind that the setlist was meant to be indicative of that of the entire tour then perspiration levels on the band did not seem to increase as the performance progress but flit about! I was at the Newcastle UK show and I don't recall multiple cameras as though a major video shoot was being carried out. My guess is the sound is a collection of the said performances which works OK as a Flight 666 type of live compilation. The Visuals are maybe shot over less shows and pieced together. I think I may just get the double CD / LP depending on feedback on sound quality. I agree with other thoughts that the sound of the new tracks is better than the undynamic studio effort. I'm not sure what Shirley and Harris are hearing when they play the studio Book of Souls back.

Dave's wristbands are also changing constantly. It's ridiculous. I don't mind footage from different gigs, but don't make it too obvious. The most amazing thing is that they actually bothered to re-edit Speed of Light, so you'd think they care about details like that.

Powerslave video is from Trieste gig, at least crowd shots, I don't know about close ups. Wasted years visuals are compiled from bunch of different concerts, audio is just from one concert.
I know a little about editing, I can say that all audio is from that concerts, they were trying to compile best of videos from tour. That's probably biggest reason why there's no DVD/BR, only download.

There are some tracks with footage from several different gigs. One of the songs (don't remember which) has footage from both indoor arena and outdoor gigs - which was quite sloppy editing.

Back