THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

He has been replaced by Steve's footie mate.

I know Shirley is not liked by some, but as far as I am concerned, I'd rather have him producing the albums than go back to how things were in the 90s.

They can't. Smith was questioning both Shirley and Harris before. If Shirley is out then Harris will have to take more of Smith's input, and he is not exactly bad at co-producing albums, especially being a vocalist himself.

I'd be very surprised if there's any long term parting of ways with Shirley. I suspect he just wasn't available to mix it.

Bruce, I suspect, wouldn't stand for Newton and Steve producing a studio album.

If Adrian got more involved in production and Shirley was out, that'd actually be pretty awesome. It's obviously very different musically compared to Maiden, but he did a great job with PRR. Out of the 5 Maiden albums Shirley produced, I only like the sound of BNW (but it's a bit too loud) and AMOL&D. DOD was muddy as fuck, TFF and TBOS sound outdated and lack punch.

I'd be very surprised if there's any long term parting of ways with Shirley. I suspect he just wasn't available to mix it.

Bruce, I suspect, wouldn't stand for Newton and Steve producing a studio album.
These are exactly my thoughts.

Shirley not being on this seems odd. Who is this Tony Newton guy? Never heard of him. Is he associated with British Lion? A break with Shirley seems unlikely, although it did feel like he was less involved with TBOS. Or he wasn't as vocal about his role in the album.

If Smith was producing Maiden's albums would probably sound more modern and polished. With the direction the last few have taken, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Never going to happen though with Steve always having final say.

Tony Newton plays bass for Voodoo Six and is apparently also a recording engineer for Maiden:

He also played bass in this legendary song:

:p

Who is this Tony Newton guy? Never heard of him.
He was once a substitute for Janick for a couple of TV performances. :D

His old band, Dirty Deeds was the support band during the Virtual XI tour and his current band Voodoo Six supported Maiden during the european leg of the Maiden England tour in 2013.

Steve probably doesn't think he has the experience with big selling bands though.
I think it's more that Steve doesn't think his style of production is the right for Maiden. In 1999, he was worried that Adrian and Bruce would take Maiden too close to the style of the Chemical Wedding album, which he didn't think would suit Maiden, so I think it's certain that Roy Z was never an option.

I still think Z would do a great job with Maiden though.

Last edited:
I'm guessing not using Roy Z has more to do with band politics.

o_O I had no idea that Voodoo Six and Christopher Lee is where Tony Newton ended up!

Metallica has a whole team doing the Live Metallica stuff (basically official bootlegs), and the same guy who engineers and helps with mixing on studio releases (Mike Gillies) also mixes basically all other releases (now with a team, of course) outside of original studio recordings and studio covers, which are produced by Greg Fidelman. Historically, all their live releases were mixed by people other than their current producer, with the only exceptions being high profile stuff like S&M and Through the Never.

So yeah, it's a pretty similar situation. Frankly, the fact that Shirley did all of the reunion era live albums and even incidental mixes like the Ullevi '05 gig or the few released proshots from Maiden England '13 was a relatively unusual thing, since normally a producer probably wouldn't be interested in wasting time working solely on mixing a live release. It's definitely a gig more suited to engineers and the like. In that sense, it's not surprising the newest one isn't being mixed by him.

Oh yes, I wondered how Revelations sounds fantastic. Performance is brilliant too.

Back