THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

What image do you see on the right? I see Diesel's new Sabaton avatar. Do you see this?

View attachment 6357

I see this:
10535.jpg
1066.jpg
8805.jpg
12290.jpg
44943.jpg

Best described in the attached picture.

Attachments

• cried.png
    cried.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 20
Only watched up til Powerdave live last night but there where some audio positives for me. The background guitar Adrian plays in the chorus of Eternity is much louder. Is this bit even on the studio album?
Some guitar parts in DOG are much clearer but the backing vocals on the chorus sounded bad to me, out of tune or our of time.
Some of Steves bass fills were clearer and more promenient, which I like.
Certainly not fully polished. Hope the cd is properly mixed or whatever.
Yep, I thought the sound was good. Of the various live clips I've seen online, most have featured cockups, Bruce's voice getting into trouble, and some indistinct guitar sound, but this recording seemed very polished by comparison. Adrian's IESF background guitar does indeed sound excellent (it also stood out at the Tokyo performances I'd seen on Youtube), and I think it only differs slightly from the album, although its very muted in the studio version. At the shows I was at, I thought there was a lot of indistinct guitar sound with Dave's guitar in particular coming over as weak and washy. He sounded lot better on this video. I even noticed a few mad little things Janick threw in that I never noticed live.

The best guitar sound of the six shows I saw was in Chicago in 2017, and the better performances on the live stream were almost as good as that. But man, that Chicago show. Orgasmic guitar.

Just got round to watching it now. Enjoyed it.

Pretty jealous of the worf looking guy who got two close ups in Wrathchild, I'd put up with looking like worf for two close ups on a maiden video.

Was it just me or was the synth bit in IESF a bit cropped at the start before the vocals and again very slightly after the vocals have finished but before nicko kicks in. Also are they doing something slightly different in the two melodies before Janick's solo in FOTD? I thought maybe it was edited shorter and rewound it a few times to check, I don't think it's shorter but there's something that's throwing me a bit.

I've been rewatching a bit of this for fun, and I've got a couple of observations:
-Janick's little solo bits in Wrathchild actually have delay. There's actually so much of it, it's almost distracting, which is interesting. It also comes in a bit late, suggesting it might actually be an effect controlled by the tech instead of being added in mix.
-Speaking of Janick, I love his little improv thing at the end of SoL.
-The solos in particular are honestly all great. Adrian's reworked solos in particular are all glorious.
-Hell, scratch that, all of the guitarwork is marvelous, if a little strangely shaky in a few (minor) parts.
-Adrian's guitar is strangely buried in parts, there are a few times I can barely even make out what he's playing. This varies a lot, as do all the volume levels. The "highlights" are particularly rough, they just suddenly cut whichever guy is doing a solo way louder than the others, which feels a bit amateurish if you ask me.
-I hope Shirley doesn't fuck up the drum sound on the next album too much, because even on a quick mix like this it's incredibly obvious how much better the Sonors sound than the Premiers ever did.
-On drums, Nicko is insane. He's slowed down, but definitely not by a lot. And he's still pulling off those cool tom fills in FotD's middle section. Definitely hear more reliance on simple cymbal crashes in lieu of proper fills, though.
-I like how they seemed to go out of their way to only use shots where Adrian is playing the red LP (instead of the X-Stroyer) on FotD and IM, apart from a few of the wide shots. Why was this consistency not applied to the other tracks? There's still more than a few shots where it's obvious they're not from the same shows (Adrian particularly mysteriously teleports back and forth) but I think those two are probably some of the better ones as far as consistency goes.
-The backing vocals are super loud for some reason, like way louder than before. Mostly it's pretty eh, but Adrian sounds really good backing up Bruce on Blood Brothers. Steve... ehhhhh... tries his best, I guess?
-Also: wow the runtime is really short! I can't believe one of their longest shows in a while ends up getting compressed down to around 1h40min total, excluding the intro and the credits + post-credits scenes. That's what you get when you swap out a long song for a shorter one and also cut down all of Bruce's in-between banter.
-One final note: IESF is, like, a ridiculously good song. I keep forgetting, but goddamn did this ever remind me.

e: I'm still salty about not having ToaC when in all likelihood there's a fully mixed version of that too. They should've put it over the credits or something, at least. Or maybe put it in as a digital bonus track.

Alright, here are my $0.02
- As awesome as IESF undoubtedly is, the lack of any rhythm guitar during the intro riff strips away some of the song's heaviness IMO. Glad that they chose a recording from early in the tour, before it was sped up to oblivion
- Sound mix is quite good, not quite as slick as, say, Flight 666, but perfectly listenable. The keys are sometimes a bit high in the mix, especially at the end of TRATB
- Video editing itself was great, and pleasingly light on any LAD-style gratuitous wide shots. It does get a bit haphazard in places, though - the occasionally spliced-in festival footage can be a bit obvious, and DoG and The Trooper could double as a game of Dave's guitar bingo
- Speaking of DoG, Bruce's "climb like a monkey" antics are just as naff as I remember them
- Lots of very impressive guitar work by the three amigos, and the differences in their respective tones are well captured
- Stuff like Wrathchild and The Trooper are pretty much as we remember them
- The absence of Hallowed is still a glaring omission

I'm not sure where Maiden are going with this one. Your points above are valid and the visuals seemed poorly edited. In Death or Glory Dave Murray played 3 different guitars. Three songs in Bruce loses the Black Hoodie and then has it back on on the next track.

I would not be the one to defend Steve's (lack of) attention to detail (Davey and Adrian might be guitar wizards, but not to the point of changing guitars mid-solo), but during the gig Bruce was wearing the hoodie at some songs, then not wearing it, and the wearing it back again.

That being said, good live sound and mix, excellent performance. Proud to be a fan.

I would not be the one to defend Steve's (lack of) attention to detail (Davey and Adrian might be guitar wizards, but not to the point of changing guitars mid-solo), but during the gig Bruce was wearing the hoodie at some songs, then not wearing it, and the wearing it back again.

That being said, good live sound and mix, excellent performance. Proud to be a fan.
Hoodie during the first three songs, not on Death or Glory and then wearing it on The Red and the Black? That's what you get when you mix performances from 2016 with the setlist from 2017.

I really enjoyed the performance. I like how they transitioned from one song to the next instead of having them separate like Flight 666. I also like how they added keyboards to that ending riff on Red And Black right before the final "woah-oh-oh" part kicks in.

Finally watched the whole thing. Mix is good. Video editing could have been better (using the footage from concerts where the guitarists used same guitars). Adrian's soloing is beautiful on this release, the best solo is his 2nd on TRATB. Some songs feature more footage from different concert that the audio is from (Powerslave: Davey played a California series strat on that gig, but most of the footage shows him with a Les Paul). Steve's BV's are as East London Hooliganish as they have ever been.

MVP of those performances? Nicko. He is fucking stellar on this release.

Bruce's hair got longer and then shorter as well. An absolute disgrace that this wasn't spotted. [/sarcasm]

Hoodie during the first three songs, not on Death or Glory and then wearing it on The Red and the Black? That's what you get when you mix performances from 2016 with the setlist from 2017.

I noticed sometimes it was outside, and then some times it was inside too. Also somehow an Ancient Building appeared off camera left at one point. Shody production to not spot these pathetic mistakes.

Back