Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Does anyone else think that this song is the brother of 'Lord Of Light'? Central to the song is the normal man that has been deceived all his life thinking he was following the 'correct God' and upon his death realises he has been coned, when all around the true God has been staring you in the face all your/his life ie. the Sun and the Stars.

Both songs are telling the same story about how what you perceive is correct and righteous is the opposite and the truth is staring you in the face.

This person is trying to tell everyone not to make the same mistake.

When I listen to Starblind it really makes me kind of scared, humbled, apprehensive but at the same time confident because I dont believe in anything remotely like Christianity, Islam or any of the modern religions. It really is funny that most people on the planet believe in modern religions when they have been around for less time that the likes of Paganism which the modern, new religions have done their best to wipe out, and wiped out by brutality. Isn't it strange that Paganism worshipped the things that mattered; the land, environment, life of all kinds, the sun, and all the modern religions are all ultimately interested in their own self preservation and leading us all to destruction.

Overlord said:
Does anyone else think that this song is the brother of 'Lord Of Light'? Central to the song is the normal man that has been deceived all his life thinking he was following the 'correct God' and upon his death realises he has been coned, when all around the true God has been staring you in the face all your/his life ie. the Sun and the Stars.

Both songs are telling the same story about how what you perceive is correct and righteous is the opposite and the truth is staring you in the face.

This person is trying to tell everyone not to make the same mistake.

When I listen to Starblind it really makes me kind of scared, humbled, apprehensive but at the same time confident because I dont believe in anything remotely like Christianity, Islam or any of the modern religions. It really is funny that most people on the planet believe in modern religions when they have been around for less time that the likes of Paganism which the modern, new religions have done their best to wipe out, and wiped out by brutality. Isn't it strange that Paganism worshipped the things that mattered; the land, environment, life of all kinds, the sun, and all the modern religions are all ultimately interested in their own self preservation and leading us all to destruction.
I see LOL as the world and death in the eyes of Satan and Starblind is the same thing but in the eyes of God.

portermoresby said:
10/10. My favorite Maiden song and the one that introduced me to the band in earnest.
I take it you havn't been listening to maiden too long?

portermoresby said:
Yeah, that's the case. I've known Maiden for years but I started getting into them seriously when TFF came out.
You picked a good time to start listening.

Don't think so. Mosh was probably trying to say that their latest material is outstanding.

Zare said:
Don't think so. Mosh was probably trying to say that their latest material is outstanding.

If that's the case, well, yes, I'm really loving their latest stuff. I think that being a fan of prog-influenced music surely made it a lot easier to like Maiden as well. I'm still a long way from knowing all their albums but so far I'm very impressed.

This song.  Man, this song.  It's easily a Top 10 Maiden song for me overall, the newest one to crack that list.  Just incredible.

portermoresby said:
If that's the case, well, yes, I'm really loving their latest stuff. I think that being a fan of prog-influenced music surely made it a lot easier to like Maiden as well. I'm still a long way from knowing all their albums but so far I'm very impressed.
Yes that was the case sorry it was a bit vague.  And yes their latest stuff is absolutely amazing.

[Post 1]

Starblind. I cannot get over this song. Physiological dependence will ensue, though I should be sure the prevent myself from forming a religion out of it.

---

I can't help but thinking, aside from points mentioned by LooseCannon et alia, that there is a deliberate reference to (and perhaps this has been mentioned discretely) the idea that humans and our Earth has have been formed from the stars. To put it simply, the whole deal with the Big Bang and novae and supernovae and gravity and self-replicating proteins, etc. Also, taking the line, 'We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond', I feel that there is a reference to the decay of the body after death, one of the only notable things which we can observe which occurs after death. I get this feeling that Bruce is trying to develop and hint at a link between cradle and grave for humanity/humans, 'the crucible of pain'. Accepted sources of the strongest physical pains which can be experienced can be found in birth and cluster headaches, with the latter for kicks. In general, psychological pain for humanity has come in the form of death ideation, or attempting to rationalize or explain things about death or after death. The uncertainty associated, as well as the innate physical response to near-death experiences, places a premium of worry and thought on death. Thus, Bruce attempts to link our cradle and grave. However, we are told to note that past and future are intrinsically linked, and 'cannot be bought'. Thus, we see that this continuum, this matter of life and death, is placed in primacy in the lyrics.

---

I took another leap in looking at the relative knowledge of the band and specifically Bruce, guessing that the matter-energy duality expressed in E=mc^2, which is referenced in BTATS, holds particular meaning here, though in a markedly different light in comparison to BTATS. If our material legacy lies in the stars, then should not our energetic legacy, and potentially our entire legacy in this sense, lie in them as well? Again I am struck by the line, 'We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond'. I'm likely reading too much into this, but therein could lie a reference to how light is emitted from objects and absorbed by them. Read Bohr, if necessary. Regardless, it's just a reference or two that I am picking up in my skewed vision of the lyrics. If one wants to take it further, and likely too far, then all that we see derives from the stars: the matter, the light, the energy, the flux, all of it. This is what we see, and then we also see religious belief and extroverted (afterlife) belief systems. In the case of the latter view, the stars are telling us that we are wrong, wrong as we could be. We are taking what we see as theirs, the light and matter which derives from them, all which derives from them, and attributing our role in that vision to something beyond ourselves and beyond our knowledge of ourselves, our existence as we can know it. We are starblinded by all that we see because we cannot see the whys of our own part in it. The stars yearn to tell us that we are fundamental in our roles as we act them, whether by determinism or free will or some combination, that escaping from the notion of heuristic and false attribution is the only way for us to develop true sight, sight of the why, and to cure ourselves of our blindness, regardless of the form which that blindness takes.

---

Well, I'd at least like to say that I didn't take seriously into account the changes in point-of-view which take place throughout the song, nor did I actually think. I wrote impulsively. Sorry about that. It isn't the most intelligent behavior. Anyway, I love this song like mad.

-Prisoner of no entity

Wow, that's probably the best "first post" this forum has seen.  Welcome. :)

As for the stars, I see them as representing the insignificance of man/Earth compared to the universe (similar: a speck of dust and cosmic sand in Coming Home).  This in itself is quite a nihilistic view, but once you accept it, you can live your life to the full without worrying about an imaginary god or life after death ("you are free to choose whatever life to live or life to lose").

Personally, I've come around to the thought that the opening lines refer to the material act of leaving Earth's atmosphere to explore the galaxy, and the simple lack of limits applied to human potential without those who would hold back progress and intelligent thought in favour of dogma and intelligent design.

Meta____ time! Perhaps the final frontier isn't a physical or even strictly ideological boundary. Perhaps it is a limit which humanity has not successfully recognized within itself, a limit characterized by, though some might say delta-x going to zero, humanity's willingness to create and reify [see reification, a logical fallacy] boundaries for our selves. Though short term goals and recognition of physical limitations of, say, the body are valid in the short term, the idea that the seas or the mountains or the West or the flight or space are our final frontiers, as all were at different points in time in human history, is being challenged here. I can't help but think as I listen to the album in general that Bruce desperately wants us to throw off the shroud of limits in general. On Earth we see all stars in the same shell of a sphere. This is distinctly geocentric, because we haven't ever truly seen things from the surface of the Sun, or through the Sun's eyes as it were. Regardless, the stars all appear equal to us down on Earth, yet we have learned over time that this is merely a projection of a vast field in three dimensions, a field of stars and galaxies and the universe. There is so much more beyond the limits as we see them from our point of view. It's strikes me that Bruce's diction in terms of verbs on Starblind is very active, and provoking of the thought of motion. That isn't to say that there isn't plenty of usage of the verbs 'to be', but the other verbs seem very active. In light of the above notes on reification of boundaries, maybe all we need to do to breach this final frontier is to move, as much as is possible for us physically and mentally, from our initial and relatively stagnant point of view to any points of view we can reach. We don't necessarily have to enjoy those viewpoints, but we must still explore them. A mark of intelligence is being able to entertain an idea, a viewpoint, without accepting it.

---

Other random thoughts: The wild wind in WTWWB = 'Solar winds are whispering, you may hear me call.'? Also, interesting little idea from Nietzsche in Thus Spoke Zarathrustra: "Where one cannot love, one should/must pass by." Take it with the line, "You may pass through me and I will feel the life that you live less ", and see what you think. There are nuances to both lines independent of each other, but the juxtaposition is just there to provoke thought.

-Prisoner of no entity

Daily Song: Starblind

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Starblind

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I don't know how many times I can say "Yes!" to this song. There is something special about it. I know not everyone agrees, but Bruce penned his greatest lyric in Maiden here. I also think that H was on fire, rocking the entire time. Killer solos.

I love it. More like this. 10.

Re: Daily Song: Starblind

There are some really good parts in here, but overall one of my least favourites from the album. I agree that these are some of Maiden's best lyrics (if not their best). However, I don't think Bruce's delivery does the lyrics justice, except on the post-chorus (The preacher loses face with Christ...). They just don't send chills down my spine like in other songs (Hallowed and Rime are examples I think everyone can relate to here). The intro is not as spell-binding as every other from the album, with the other 4 epics having much better intros in my opinion. The instrumental section is my favourite part, very nice solos (not among the best, but still good).

7/10, although it is still growing on me.

Re: Daily Song: Starblind

Musically, it's really complicated and you got to listen a lot to fix the complex parts of the song. You have to concentrate to the guitar melody attacks here, for instance in the chorus. You have to be capable of listening to a lot of instruments and melodies at the same time to really get pleasure from this song.

The intro is just perfect, paints the scene for you and tells you what you should expect from this song. After the intro the fast, powerful riffs starts as the heaviness of the song rises. Bruce Dickinson's operatic style of vocals in the Reunion era is here with its greatness. The power of the vocals meets with great vocal melodies. And then the chorus. I'm just in love with the changing guitar parts here, reminds me of the melody attacks of Infinite Dreams. The soloing guitar just never stops, has some bluesy feeling to it and is incredibly powerful. The instrumental part has great mini solos and shinings. I like the high notes in the solos very much, for instance the note hits around 4:58-5:02 is fantastic. Then the best part of the whole album starts. What a riff ! So emotional, so heavy, so powerful. And the keyboard melodies gives it another edge. Smooth guitar melodies starts again, and then a great bridge.

Fantastic lyrics, especially I love that sentence "Whatever god, you know, he knows you, better than you believe." Maybe the best Maiden lyrics ever.

The song gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it, and has an amazing feeling to it. Psychedelic, bluesy, progressive or whatever you want to call. It's just perfect music, everytime the song finishes, I say "That's why I'm listening to music !"

Fucking masterpiece and is in the same class with Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Hallowed Be Thy Name for me. 10/10.

Back