Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Yep, this is the real gem of this album to me as well, and certainly one of the greatest songs they've ever done. 

Deano said:
Does this song remind anyone else of Book of Thel or is it just me?

There are definitely a few similar social themes, but musically/lyrically it doesnt really remind me of it.

Totally.
I mentioned the similarity in my very first post about the new album.
It is a much better song, however.

(1:59 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(2:34 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(3:04 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:15 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:43 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:53 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(5:47 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

Deano said:
What do you mean Foro?

Deano said:
Does this song remind anyone else of Book of Thel or is it just me?

Hi Deano, I replied to both of these posts, and in both cases you didn't reply back.
Anything wrong?

Dean's access is pretty limited, Foro. If you need an answer that badly, maybe you should leave him a PM - given that he gets on once a week, it's possible he's been missing your posts.

Well, he asked the questions, so I imagined he might be interested to read the answers, especially when he revisits this topic.

Just curious if you read the reactions Deano, no offense.

Its either still part of Davey's solo or its Janick.

Definitely not Adrian. It doesn't really sound like H nor can I imagine him choosing to reduce Dave's solo any further, having already soloed, beautifully mind you, throughout the song.

It's definitely Adrian, and i'm willing to put money on it.

Forostar said:
Which one do you guys mean (time)?

dave definately solos for about 10 seconds during a kind of break down and then im confident that H takes over for about 10 seconds and then it goes into that other worldy melody.

The list what you just posted is correct.

Listen to the last note of the ascending run and listen to the very last note of the solo. if thats not H's tone or vibrato then i don't know what is. Although the vibrato is somewhat the same as janicks so i could understand why jeffmetal thinks its janick.

Dave 'kills' his solo with a tremolo dive bomb; following that, comes a descending phrase with a pinch harmonic when it reaches the higher notes (which is Janick's trademark). In short phrases like that, 'Jan' is not so 'off the usual' as in The Alchemist, for instance. Also, bear in mind that they give space for each other as much as possible and I feel and think this passage is one of these cases.

Jeffmetal said:
Dave 'kills' his solo with a tremolo dive bomb; following that, comes a descending phrase with a pinch harmonic when it reaches the higher notes (which is Janick's trademark). In short phrases like that, 'Jan' is not so 'off the usual' as in The Alchemist, for instance. Also, bear in mind that they give space for each other as much as possible and I feel and think this passage is one of these cases.

you are starting to make me think that its jan but h doesnt really ever give jan solo time on his songs. paschendale being an except. Hes clearly not a fan of janicks soloing style but he will pretty much always give dave a solo.

Babo 91 said:
you are starting to make me think that its jan but h doesnt really ever give jan solo time on his songs. paschendale being an except. Hes clearly not a fan of janicks soloing style but he will pretty much always give dave a solo.

Every album, Jan can play a solo on one co-written Smith track:

The Fallen Angel
Paschendale
Brighter than A Thousand Suns
Eldorado

Back