SMX presents The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs

+5 Karma to SMX for the whole project, and a +3 for the fun that you have created with the 'guessing game' that comes along with this!  Prior to that, it was a very interesting read, and a great formula.  However, now that you've added the guessing, its makes you think, not only of songs, but if they should even be in the list.

Good job!!

Very cool!!  I'm sure of:

Jump
Tom Sawyer

What I'm not sure of is Run Like Hell or When The Levee breaks.  Run sounds right, and should be in the top 100, Levee.... that one 'fits' but I don't know if it makes any Top 100 list.  I think AC/DC only gets in the Top 100 with Back In Black and You Shook Me All Night Long, so I'm not thinking Thunderstruck (may have to eat that quote).  Thin Lizzy is tough, but I only think one of their songs makes the Top 100.   

Jumpin' Jack Flash could be another 'feet leaving ground' song, but I'm gonna stick with Run Like Hell.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Sung by the hero of bums.
Band - Supertramp. Song - Not sure, so I'll go with one of their more popular and that fits best to the clue, The Logical Song.

I think When the Levee Breaks is right - but I don't think Run Like Hell is. But Jumping Jack Flash.... ;)

I'll guess that one of the "feet off the ground" songs is either "Free Falling" by Tom Petty or "Fly Like an Eagle" by Steve Miller.

Levee and Suoertramp are brilliant guesses, even if wrong.  Tom Sawyer and Jumpin Jack Flash seem right too. 

Wasted CLV said:
I think AC/DC only gets in the Top 100 with Back In Black and You Shook Me All Night Long, so I'm not thinking Thunderstruck (may have to eat that quote).

I'm about 90% certain that Thunderstuck would be the higher than both Back in Black or You Shook Me All Night Long. Even now I still hear it on the radio every second week or so. I hear the other 2 probably once every couple of months. Of course this don't represent the entire world (just Australia).

A possible effect of severe weather... (+5 to Black Thunder)
#75. AC/DC, "Thunderstruck"
When this song came out, it was easily AC/DC's strongest song since Back In Black. I was hoping it would herald a comeback, but it didn't happen. AC/DC seems happy repeating the same formula over and over. This song has a great intro: the way it builds is epic. Their best intro since Hells Bells. When Angus recorded that lick in the studio, he taped down the other 5 strings so they couldn't vibrate at all. Sure, it's easy to get it right when you cheat, Angus... :bigsmile:

Name taken from a book... (+5 to Shadow)
#74. Rush, "Tom Sawyer"
Neil Peart has become dismissive of Rush's early records. He has stated that as far as he's concerned, the first "real" Rush album was Moving Pictures. On this, Neil is naturally dead wrong - but he is correct about the excellence of MP. Side One of MP is the greatest 4-song stretch ever recorded, and it starts here. MTV used to run this particular clip as the song's official video back in their first year - in fact, I think this is the first Rush song I ever heard.

One way for your feet to leave the ground... (+5 to Perun)
#73. Van Halen, "Jump"
1984 was actually released on New Year's Eve 1983. Jump was VH's first #1 single, and was all over MTV... much unlike VH's previous video, the banned Pretty Woman. MTV did air Pretty Woman for a while before they banned it - some Xians got upset about the twist at the end. It never should have been banned; after all, it's only [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQRDI7mTyw]the greatest video ever made[/url]. About Jump: after the DLR break-up, and Sammy joining Van Hagar, DLR said: "That guy is gonna have to sing Jump every night, but at least I'll never have to sing I Can't Drive 55."

Another way for your feet to leave the ground...
#72. Aerosmith, "Walk This Way"
Aerosmith were recording Toys In The Attic when they decided to take a break and catch a movie at the theater across the street from the studio. The movie turned out to be Young Frankenstein. When the "walk this way" bit happened, someone said: "That's the name of the next song we write". They finished the movie, went back across the street and turned this one out.

Sung by the hero of bums... (+5 to Albie)
#71. Supertramp, "The Logical Song"
This was one of the first 45s I ever bought. Hands up, how many of you youngsters have never even held a 45? Anyway, I always loved the wordplay in this song. I think Supertramp's best song is "Give A Little Bit", but this one ain't far behind. Supertramp was also the first rock song I ever learned on piano (correctly, from a songbook), but that song was "It's Raining Again".

So you mopes got 4 outta 5, huh? Either you're getting better or I need to create more devious clues...

Fire is the devil's only friend. He had to do it.
A song with a slash.
Paula Abdul.
A song that starts with the vocal.
A song with parentheses.

For the slash the obvious is We Will Rock You/We are the Champions... but since we are talking in riddles, maybe Sweet Child O' Mine
Fire is the devil's only friend is a line from American Pie, but not sure how that fits as a riddle

My guesses:

Fire is the devil's only friend. He had to do it. -- Jumpin' Jack Flash?  [The quoted lyric from "American Pie" references "Jack Flash"]
A song with a slash. -- Mckindog is probably right, but I'll guess Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid just to be competitive
Paula Abdul. -- Dazed and Confused  :p
A song that starts with the vocal. -- Carry On Wayward Son [tempting to pick Bohemian Rhapsody or Hey Jude, but I'm betting those are farther down the list]
A song with parentheses. -- either Foreplay (Long Time) or Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) [waayyy too early to be (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, which is likely in the top 10-15]

A song with a slash -
November Rain or Paradise City (for Slash) because I'd say Sweet Child O' Mine is higher up. For a slash, my top 2 have already been picked and I can't think of anymore that would be here.

A song that starts with the vocal -
Can I Play With Madness! Seriously, I'll go Hey Jude, because cornfedhick went Carry On Wayward Son (which would have been my first choice as well).

A song with parentheses -
You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)

SinisterMinisterX said:
A possible effect of severe weather... (+5 to Black Thunder)
#75. AC/DC, "Thunderstruck"
When this song came out, it was easily AC/DC's strongest song since Back In Black. I was hoping it would herald a comeback, but it didn't happen. AC/DC seems happy repeating the same formula over and over. This song has a great intro: the way it builds is epic. Their best intro since Hells Bells. When Angus recorded that lick in the studio, he taped down the other 5 strings so they couldn't vibrate at all. Sure, it's easy to get it right when you cheat, Angus... :bigsmile:

It's also easy to get it right using two-handed tapping instead of picking it. That was the way I learned to play it first. (No, wait. I first learned it on a keyboard ...). And I agree, greatest intro since Hells Bells (which is my favourite AC/DC intro, by the way).

Thunderstruck is a song which makes impossible to sit still when it comes on. Those who disagree, must realize rock'n'roll just isn't their thing.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Fire is the devil's only friend. He had to do it.

Deep Purple - Into The Fire?

SinisterMinisterX said:
A song that starts with the vocal.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama?

One, two, three... DAM TADADAM TA DAM TA TADAM...

SinisterMinisterX said:
A song with parentheses.

Journey - Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart) (because Voodoo Chile had already been guessed)
U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)?

I'm thinking on both of those, since both are very good songs and are worthy to be ranked in top 100 so far...

Well I obviously know Jump, but today was the first time I listened to it from beginning to end and knew what song it is.

God that was so irritating, I though Van Halen were supposed to be good!

SinisterMinisterX said:
A song with parentheses.

So many things I could guess for this, but I'll limit it to two:

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown)

Back