SMX presents The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs

Onhell said:
Yup :D from way back when he was the NINTENDO nerd... funny stuff. His SP cartoons are retarded, but his AVGN stuff, specially the early reviews, are priceless.

Oh man. Classic stuff.

Totally-not-as-but While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the fourth.
Oh, the Talkbox one is definitely Livin On A Prayer, unless it's some Peter Frampton song, in which case I would'nt know because I don't know anything by him.

Yeah Onhell me too, I've watched everything he made!

SinisterMinisterX said:
A song with a slash...
#69. Boston, "Foreplay / Long Time"

Crap, I guessed that on the parenthesis clue, not the slash clue.

My guesses for the next five:

Attractive ladies roam the verdant fields.  -- Perun's guess has got to be correct, but I'll guess La Grange by ZZ Top just for kicks
Thumbs up. -- All Right Now by Free
Talk box. -- Do You Feel Like We Do by Peter Frampton
Free fretboard lubrication.  -- While My Guitar Gently Weeps [EDIT: damn, Mega beat me to it while I was typing -- I need to type faster, or post my more confident guesses first -- this one seems the most obvious]
If you really had one, you wouldn't survive. -- Again, Perun's guess is a good one, but I'll guess Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf (Bridge of Sighs would also be appropriate, but that's probably not on the list, and Stairway to Heaven might work, but I'm guessing that's in the top five)

cornfedhick said:
Crap, I guessed that on the parenthesis clue, not the slash clue.

My guesses for the next five:

Attractive ladies roam the verdant fields.  -- Perun's guess is a good one, but I'll guess La Grange by ZZ Top
Thumbs up. -- All Right Now by Free
Talk box. -- Do You Feel Like We Do by Peter Frampton
Free fretboard lubrication.  -- While My Guitar Gently Weeps [*damn, Mega beat me to it -- I need to type faster]
If you really had one, you wouldn't survive. -- Again, Perun's guess is a good one, but I'll go with a different song by the same band: Locomotive Breath 

I was right in the act of guessing All Right Now by Free myself.

The fourth one must be right too.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Paula Abdul...
..The Doors, "L.A. Woman"..
When I thought of the clue, I said to myself "who's a famous LA woman?" And for some reason I recalled that Paula Abdul started her career as a LA Lakers cheerleader. Damn shame there's no live video of Morrison doing this (this clip I linked is a montage of Morrison clips). They used to stretch it out to 15 minutes or more.

Damn, I really thought my guess would have been right. If you have the song in mind, the name Abdul connects to Sultan and it is known that this woman was a dancer (before she "upgraded" to singer). "Sultans of Swing" fits perfectly to this person and, and naturally it's a very well known and successful song in the States.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Mega got the title wrong. You got it right.

I'm not saying it's a correct answer, though. :innocent:

Oops. See, this is why I get to post first, I have no idea what I'm posting!

Forostar said:
Damn, I really thought my guess would have been right. If you have the song in mind, the name Abdul connects to Sultan and it is known that this woman was a dancer (before she "upgraded" to singer). "Sultans of Swing" fits perfectly to this person and, and naturally it's a very well known and successful song in the States.

Believe it or not, I actually thought of L.A. Woman but ruled it out, thinking: "Of all the women in L.A., why Paula Abdul??!  That CAN'T be right."  I guessed Dazed and Confused -- because she frequently (and famously) is. 

By the way, this thread might just be the best game on this forum ever.  Great fun. 
national acrobat said:
I was right in the act of guessing All Right Now by Free myself.

Stanford's unofficial fight song, by the way.  Why?  I have no idea. 

I can't improve Cornfed's list (the Perun version)

Thumbs Up made me think of hitch hiking but Sweet Hitchhiker and Hitch A ride were all I could come up with and they won't be on this list

cornfedhick said:
By the way, this thread might just be the best game on this forum ever.  Great fun. 

I'm biased towards the Dream Killing Game myself :p, but this one is good fun too. I'm learning a lot, I like SMX's riddles.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Next installment:
Attractive ladies roam the verdant fields.
Thumbs up.
Talk box.
Free fretboard lubrication.
If you really had one, you wouldn't survive.

1.  Paradise City - GnR (this seems too easy an answer)
2.  All Right Now-  Free
3. Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (again, this seems too easy)
5.  Piece Of My Heart- Janis Joplin

Attractive ladies roam the verdant fields... (+5 to Perun)
#65. Guns N Roses, "Paradise City"
This video really takes me back. When this came out, the only GnR on TV had been the Jungle video. Sweet Child was yet to hit #1, Appetite was yet to hit #1. This is GnR on the cusp of serious fame, at the height of their powers. Appropriate for such a song, which I recall instantly stuck me as epic the very first time I heard it.

Thumbs up...
#64. Don McLean, "American Pie"
american-pie-by-don-mclean.jpg

My dad had album, I grew up knowing that picture. ::) This song makes no sense at all if you don't know all the symbolism. It only gets a little better if you do. That's a sign of a great lyric: when it spawns a thousand interpretations.

Talk box... (+5 to Mega)
#63. Bon Jovi, "Livin' On A Prayer"
I saw Bon Jovi on the Slippery When Wet tour, and they put on a great show. I think Jon Bon Jovi's aspiration to be the next Bruce took the band in the wrong direction, but they were solid on this song. Listen to the guitar solo: almost entirely 8th notes or slower, emphasizing a memorable melody over chops. That's how ya rake in the bucks.

Free fretboard lubrication... (+5 to cornfedhick)
#62. The Beatles, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Structurally, this is a very typical Beatles song, more like their early material. (One example: it's the exact same structure as I Saw Her Standing There.) Clapton did a great (and famous) solo, but I think this song is special because of the lyrics, which were Harrison's best up to that point.

If you really had one, you wouldn't survive...
#61. Neil Young, "Heart Of Gold"
I don't like Neil Young ... but I liked this video. I'm getting soft in my old age, someone shoot me. :blink:

The next 5...
Nothing to see here, move along.
The 2nd-most recent song on the list; last of the 80s.
An advertising slogan.
A card.
Have I got a helmet?!

Back