SMX presents The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs

I learned it when I was 14 from a guitarist who was probably wrong about the key. I think I have played in E also.

I prefer D minor because B-flat-to-A is tastier than C-to-B. B-flat is a great sounding note.

SinisterMinisterX said:
#90. The Police, "Every Breath You Take"
Sting has claimed that as soon as he finished writing this song, he knew he'd written a #1 hit. While 1983 was the year ruled by Thriller, this was the song that actually spent the most time at US #1 that year (8 weeks). Sting wrote the chords and lyrics, but Andy Summers came up with those guitar arpeggios which gave the song its "thick and creamy" sound (quote and info from a Sting interview).

While I prefer The Police's earlier albums, there's no denying this is a great song. It goes right into your brain and sticks around.

SinisterMinisterX said:
#85. Paul McCartney, "Maybe I'm Amazed"
... Also because I'm a bassist named Paul, and I've endured far too many walrus-related jokes...

So in other words, you should be mad at Lennon for throwing that line in.

I've never favoured either of them. Both Lennon and McCartney have their strengths and shortcomings, and when I add up my favourite Beatles songs I get about the same amount by each. Neither of their solo careers do much for me.

#81. The Moody Blues, "Knights In White Satin"
A subpar song made memorable by haunting production. 5:54 is the creepiest thing I've ever heard on a radio station. I've always avoided the Moody Blues ever since hearing that. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. But I know some oddballs swear this is a great band. You be the judge.

The Moody Blues are OK. Most of their stuff is pretty "nice" - not particularly creepy at all.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Also because I'm a bassist named Paul, and I've endured far too many walrus-related jokes.

OUCH!
Other than that, I just can't make friends with any Beatles solo stuff. Except a few Lennon songs, which are indeed brilliant in their own right. Other than that, it's too much of that "people will buy anything by the Beatles" syndrome for me.

Brilliant one. What I like about it so much is that it tends to sound like cocktail lounge music to you until you actually start listening to it.

Perun said:
OUCH!
Other than that, I just can't make friends with any Beatles solo stuff. Except a few Lennon songs, which are indeed brilliant in their own right. Other than that, it's too much of that "people will buy anything by the Beatles" syndrome for me.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of Lennon's stuff sounds like pointless hippie ranting in retrospect and I made the mistake of buying McCartney's Greatest Hits for nostalgic reasons... Only two songs out of the whole thing do I REALLY enjoy, what a waste.

I would consider it solo. I'm not overly familiar with them, but I didn't like what I heard very much.

I guess back in the sixties, I would have been a Stones guy.

Quite surprising how my parents got together, actually. My mom was definitely Beatles, my dad was definitely Stones.

That's kinda funny. I have to say I'm more of a Beatles than Stones..I'm not fanatic either way.

Everything has one...
#80. The Band, "The Weight"
The clip I linked is from The Last Waltz, a film of The Band's final concert directed by Martin Scorsese. I don't really know much about The Band, so I'll instead mention that I recently saw Scorsese's movie of the Stones and it was superb.

Vampiric warning...
#79. The Beatles, "Here Comes The Sun"
The Beatles never played this song live, so this video may be as close as you'll ever see. George (duh) and Ringo are there, plus Phil Collins - who was an extra in A Hard Day's Night.

Azure optic nerves...
#78. The Who, "Behind Blue Eyes"
After the success of Tommy, Pete Townshend started to write another rock opera called Lifehouse. It never got finished by The Who, but it was the source for much of the Who's Next album. This song was to be sung by the villain in the story - how he's not such a bad guy, from his point of view.

In unsettled land...
#77. U2, "Where The Streets Have No Name"
I didn't like U2 one bit when The Joshua Tree hit. Took me about 5 years to start appreciating it. This song is just about the quintessential U2 song: a simple song with picturesque lyrics layered in echo. (I say "just about" because "Bad" is actually the quintessential U2 song.)

May I have your attention please?...
#76. Pink Floyd, "Hey You"
On the Wall tour, a giant wall was constructed between the band and audience over the first half of The Wall. Over the second half, it was taken down. So for "Hey You" (first song of the second half), there's nothing to watch but a wall and a doll.

"Behind Blue Eyes" was an easy clue ... Wasted gets 3 karma for the song and Perun 2 for the artist. cfh gets 5 for the Beatles song.
The rest of you lumps get nothing. :p

Next time:
A possible effect of severe weather.
Name taken from a book.
One way for your feet to leave the ground.
Another way for your feet to leave the ground.
Sung by the hero of bums.

SinisterMinisterX said:
One way for your feet to leave the ground.
Another way for your feet to leave the ground.

Van Halen - Jump

Hey, wouldn't an awesome answer to the 'weather' question be: Zep's 'When The Levee Breaks'?

I'm going with that.

Back