Sixth Powerslave Song Played Live?

One question i would ask is why when adding songs to setlists on the UK leg of the tour to record at Hammersmith did they not try BITV? You might say they thought it didnt feel right the 2 times they(allegadly) played it, but they only played each of those songs once or twice before they were recorded for LAD. I would have thought they would have played BITV again if theyde already rehersed and played it live earlier in the tour.

Prob the same reason Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner didn't make it to the UK tour. If the band felt it hadn't worked that well they probably didn't want to immortalize a song that didn't sound good live. I'm curious what the full recording is like, how much of a trainwreck was it? IIRC Loneliness wasn't that bad, I assume it was dropped more for stamina reasons.

One question i would ask is why when adding songs to setlists on the UK leg of the tour to record at Hammersmith did they not try BITV? You might say they thought it didnt feel right the 2 times they(allegadly) played it, but they only played each of those songs once or twice before they were recorded for LAD. I would have thought they would have played BITV again if theyde already rehersed and played it live earlier in the tour.

I guess they wanted to document older songs, staples on previous tours, rather than a new one that was dropped after two gigs.

Ever since 81 Maiden has played secret gigs under different monikers: Genghis Khan (81), Dental Floss Salesman (82), 999 and the inverted morons (83), Live Tonight! Maiden Men (85), Space Heads (86), Charlotte And The Harlots (88), Ron Maiden and the Dixie Chickens (90), Nodding Donkeys (92), The Angels and the Gamblers (98)... For what I know for now, last time they did a secret gig was 1998
I've never heard of the "Space Heads" gig... where/when was that?

Also, they did at least one gig as "The Holy Smokers" in 1990

I was dubious until I heard that little snippet from the Polish bootleg.
It wasn't played live...
I've never heard of the "Space Heads" gig... where/when was that?

Also, they did at least one gig as "The Holy Smokers" in 1990
December 21, 1988... Sorry, you´ll have to wait for my book to come out to learn more about the gig

The Holy Smokers of course! September 19, 1990 at the Woughton Centre

I was dubious until I heard that little snippet from the Polish bootleg.
Same. I always assumed it was the band misremembering/confusing rehearsals and the first show. But I really don't see how you'd even begin to get that little snippet to sounding even remotely accurate to a real '84 bootleg even with modern technology.

Such a meaningless thing, but a cool piece of history regardless, similar to TLOTLDR being played live exactly once.

It wasn't played live...

December 21, 1988... Sorry, you´ll have to wait for my book to come out to learn more about the gig

The Holy Smokers of course! September 19, 1990 at the Woughton Centre
I don't comment quite often here but read this forum every day and to be honest, your comments come quite as arrogant. Why do you act like you're the only one that knows the whole truth??? You may know a lot about Iron Maiden, maybe a lot more than a lot of us here but should it mean you know everything and you're right each and every time you write something??? To be honest, I had my doubts about BITV for a long time but with the little snipet and the whole story it seems pretty reliable so why you have to be so categorical about it??? Just because you talked to 5 five persons that said it wasn't played? So you're basically saying the guy (world made of iron) is just full of sh*t and lying about the whole thing? Why should he be doing that? To get some attention??? I don't think so...His story seems pretty trustworthy...at least more than yours!

Oh and btw, the whole "you have to wait for my book...when you'll buy it", it really becomes annoying as hell. Talk a bit about your books, do a bit of promotion may seems fine but doing it almost each and every time you post something...god, give us a break!

Oh and btw again, I was among those that bought your first eBook, thinking I would learn some stuff I didn't know and I remember there were one or two mistakes...did I make a whole fuss about it in here? No, because it happens to everyone not to do everything right...mistakes happen! So once again: why be so categorical about BITV??? Why thinking you're the king of truths???

Will I have to wait for your book to come out to learn more about it?
Well, I have basically told everything I know for now. The song was reheased literally a couple of times during the production rehearsals that took place in Hannover in August 1984 but ended up being drop because, once again, the band didn't like how it turned out. This had been confirmed not only by people who were at those rehearsals (and one of them has given me a quite extensive interview) but also double and triple checked. Of course, I know that people still can be wrong and that it may be confusing with the "small sample" doing the rounds but I am 99.9% sure that it wasn't played live.

Having said this, if I were to believe that the sample IS real, I would say that polish radio recorded a production rehearsal (which would be very strange) and that somehow Bruce was practicing his performance (also strange) but if this was the case, the crowd noise would still been added.

I thought TLOTLDR was played more than once but we only have one day bootlegged?
No, it was dropped Samantha. This was confirmed by Harris himself on Kerrang! magazine No. 130, issued on October 2, 1986 and I quote: "We already dropped one that we didn't feel all that good playing, 'The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner', which is my song but it was me who actually decided it wasn't all that good."

I don't comment quite often here but read this forum every day and to be honest, your comments come quite as arrogant. Why do you act like you're the only one that knows the whole truth??? You may know a lot about Iron Maiden, maybe a lot more than a lot of us here but should it mean you know everything and you're right each and every time you write something??? To be honest, I had my doubts about BITV for a long time but with the little snipet and the whole story it seems pretty reliable so why you have to be so categorical about it??? Just because you talked to 5 five persons that said it wasn't played? So you're basically saying the guy (world made of iron) is just full of sh*t and lying about the whole thing? Why should he be doing that? To get some attention??? I don't think so...His story seems pretty trustworthy...at least more than yours!

Oh and btw, the whole "you have to wait for my book...when you'll buy it", it really becomes annoying as hell. Talk a bit about your books, do a bit of promotion may seems fine but doing it almost each and every time you post something...god, give us a break!

Oh and btw again, I was among those that bought your first eBook, thinking I would learn some stuff I didn't know and I remember there were one or two mistakes...did I make a whole fuss about it in here? No, because it happens to everyone not to do everything right...mistakes happen! So once again: why be so categorical about BITV??? Why thinking you're the king of truths???
I am sorry if I come as arrogant as I can assure you that it is not my intention. However, I must also say that I have been researching Iron Maiden for more than 30 years, have spoken with loads of people related to the band and I know a whole lot more than a lot of fans, simply because I have turned my research into work, not just a hobby. Besides all of what I have said, I'm old enough to have seen many people get scammed by "snippets" or people wanting to get attention for whatever reason. I also have seen many fellow researchers being called names and laugh at (greatest example I can think of is Ricardo Lira, who was originally the guy who said that Paul Cairns participated in TSHT, who was mocked for years (even by me at one time) because no one believed what he said and turned out he WAS telling the truth). Anyway, my claims are based on facts which can be checked in any of my ebooks or books... You want to believe something else, that's fine with me...

If my posts bother you so much you're free to not read them, so you don't get annoyed or get your break ;)

Everyone makes mistakes and to have one or two in a 1121 page ebook, think is pretty reasonable, don't you? In any case, I don't think I have ever said I know it all, quite the contrary. In my first physical book I wrote this: "Responsibility for any and all errors and omissions remain my own. In that respect, while every care has been taken to quote accurately, to avoid distortion when summarising or extracting from publications or correspondence, to make dates as precise as possible, and so on, it would be naive not to expect Byrne's Law to apply - ie that further information always turns up immediately after any factual statement is published. In that respect, response from readers of this publication correcting errors and in-filling omissions will be most welcome, and would, of course, be duly acknowledged in the event of any future editions."

On a last note, I don't think I'm the king of truths, but I base my claims on FACTS and I can definitely back up my claims with data (which I have reveal WITHOUT releasing my book ;) ) not on the story of one guy (who by the way doesn't even say what the radio station is or the person who recorded the thing in the first place)

I am sorry if I come as arrogant as I can assure you that it is not my intention. However, I must also say that I have been researching Iron Maiden for more than 30 years, have spoken with loads of people related to the band and I know a whole lot more than a lot of fans, simply because I have turned my research into work, not just a hobby. Besides all of what I have said, I'm old enough to have seen many people get scammed by "snippets" or people wanting to get attention for whatever reason. I also have seen many fellow researchers being called names and laugh at (greatest example I can think of is Ricardo Lira, who was originally the guy who said that Paul Cairns participated in TSHT, who was mocked for years (even by me at one time) because no one believed what he said and turned out he WAS telling the truth). Anyway, my claims are based on facts which can be checked in any of my ebooks or books... You want to believe something else, that's fine with me...

If my posts bother you so much you're free to not read them, so you don't get annoyed or get your break ;)

Everyone makes mistakes and to have one or two in a 1121 page ebook, think is pretty reasonable, don't you? In any case, I don't think I have ever said I know it all, quite the contrary. In my first physical book I wrote this: "Responsibility for any and all errors and omissions remain my own. In that respect, while every care has been taken to quote accurately, to avoid distortion when summarising or extracting from publications or correspondence, to make dates as precise as possible, and so on, it would be naive not to expect Byrne's Law to apply - ie that further information always turns up immediately after any factual statement is published. In that respect, response from readers of this publication correcting errors and in-filling omissions will be most welcome, and would, of course, be duly acknowledged in the event of any future editions."

On a last note, I don't think I'm the king of truths, but I base my claims on FACTS and I can definitely back up my claims with data (which I have reveal WITHOUT releasing my book ;) ) not on the story of one guy (who by the way doesn't even say what the radio station is or the person who recorded the thing in the first place)
I kinda understand part of your point of view since myself, fan for almost 30 years (bought my first album, A Real Dead One in december 1993), have been searching for every bit of information about my favorite band and I think I have each and every book available (at least the ones published in english, french or portuguese)! Been collecting bootlegs for around 15-20 years (even if I almost stopped this nowadays because I lost interest in it and also don't have as much time as I used to, to listen to them) so I can say, as well, that I know a lot about Maiden as well. But where we may be different is that for some facts, specially old ones, I won't be as categorical as you are (or at least, that's how it looks like reading your posts) and I accept different points of view simply because sometimes there are (three) sides to every story or some other times, it's impossible to know who's right or wrong (even when these people act in good faith). Our memory may play tricks on us, sometimes we can write down things and just make a mistake when doing so and never correct them so when we'll read it again years later,we just forgot there was a mistake...and so on!

My final point here is just: for some stuff, no matter how serious we may be in our work, in our research, still it doesn't mean we hold the truth and that others are lying...in here, I'm 100% sure you've done your part of the job very seriously but the conclusion, is it the final truth? Hard to say, specially when there are other proofs that appear...And talkin'about facts, there are some fields where facts are facts and cannot be denied (in the field of hard sciences as an example), in some others, facts are more assumptions...and assumptions may be true or may not.
Anyway, too many words in here, just to say: why not keep an open mind about things that are not "hard" sciences? Maybe one day, we'll have a definitive proof...but until then, I'll keep my mind opened

All the best

I kinda understand part of your point of view since myself, fan for almost 30 years (bought my first album, A Real Dead One in december 1993), have been searching for every bit of information about my favorite band and I think I have each and every book available (at least the ones published in english, french or portuguese)! Been collecting bootlegs for around 15-20 years (even if I almost stopped this nowadays because I lost interest in it and also don't have as much time as I used to, to listen to them) so I can say, as well, that I know a lot about Maiden as well. But where we may be different is that for some facts, specially old ones, I won't be as categorical as you are (or at least, that's how it looks like reading your posts) and I accept different points of view simply because sometimes there are (three) sides to every story or some other times, it's impossible to know who's right or wrong (even when these people act in good faith). Our memory may play tricks on us, sometimes we can write down things and just make a mistake when doing so and never correct them so when we'll read it again years later,we just forgot there was a mistake...and so on!

My final point here is just: for some stuff, no matter how serious we may be in our work, in our research, still it doesn't mean we hold the truth and that others are lying...in here, I'm 100% sure you've done your part of the job very seriously but the conclusion, is it the final truth? Hard to say, specially when there are other proofs that appear...And talkin'about facts, there are some fields where facts are facts and cannot be denied (in the field of hard sciences as an example), in some others, facts are more assumptions...and assumptions may be true or may not.
Anyway, too many words in here, just to say: why not keep an open mind about things that are not "hard" sciences? Maybe one day, we'll have a definitive proof...but until then, I'll keep my mind opened

All the best
Man, I really appreciate your comments and appeciations. And let me just say that I agree 100% with what you say. I do try to keep an open mind but because of what I have seen in my research I tend to be very careful with what I believe in when someone comes out as having the holy grail if you get what I mean?

Thank you for your sincere criticsm and I will definitely try to not come out as being arrogant.

In the video posted here by world made of iron, can anybody make out what Bruce is saying?

"Scream for me ???"

Sounds distorted to me. Maybe intentionally so......hmmmmm.......

Before 22 Acacia Avenue? Warsaw
He's shouting "Scream For Me Warszawa" - Warszawa stands for Polish name of Warsaw and Bruce usually use this in every Warsaw show through the years. If something's here is distorted, is just a Polish language :D

I have to say that I'm reading this thread with really big curiosity and I'm even little big surprise how persistent in defending his THEORY is @Luisma . Even if I'm full respecting your work on Maiden related subjects and your knowledge, I'm really considering your arguments as a little bit ridiculous. You have to know that through almost a year since I've got this r2r, I spoke about it with various people who were attending this show or even producing it locally (I guess you've never spoke with them). Everyone confirmed that this is defnitely real tape, especially that all of them remembers this times, how specific and weird it was... You saying 'maybe it's a rehearsal recording' - sure, so why there is a crowd noise out here? Come on, just listen to any boot from 84 and the band sound and crowd noise is quite similiar. You asking about the names.... What will it change? Let's say that I'm not up to reveal all the names, especially that's still bootleg unofficial recording, so that means that somebody has done it without authorisation, right? Have you ever seen bootleg with all the personal credits on it? Don't think so.

Of course, again, it's up to every single one to believe it or not. I just decided to share this snippet as a priceless part of Maiden history. For me that fragment was also a big surprise, but I had no reason to not believe in that or treat it as some kind of 'fake'. Especially, as a native Pole, I know how the reality in mid 80's looked like and there were really no room to prepare some kind of 'fakes'.

Back