Sixth Powerslave Song Played Live?

the beginning of Back in the village is probably the band The Iron Maidens from youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_F5FeupBsQ

Now this I can rule out. I have compared both, the supposed Warsaw and the Iron Maidens clips very closely. The phrasing of the guitar players is very different which is mostly notable on the very last note of bar 2, before it gets repeated (and just before the supposed Warsaw ends) . The vibrato the and amount of artificial harmony are very different. The lady also seems to play a wrong note in the middle of the first bit. When it is supposed to be a pull off from c to a on the d-string, she rather sounds like c to b pull off.

Carl Peplow is a very serious bootleg SELLER (been corrected by John Miles who IS a serious bootleg collector) and therefore has an amazing amount of bootlegs. Just to give you an idea of his collection, I can tell you he has all four nights of the shows Maiden played in Long Beach Arena in 1985, the soundboard edition of Donington 88, and even some special shows of 1986.

Anyway, here's his copy of the show Maiden played in Wroclaw in 1984 which, as you can see, doesn't have 'Back In The Village' in the setlist, once again, confirming what everyone I inteviewed for part 2 of Eddie Made Me Do It... So, once again I say, the tape doing the rounds is fake!

View attachment 28298
Carl is one of the decent guys who gave an inch, but a lot of people crossed the line and wanted the mile and totally p*****d him off which is why he isn't so helpful these days.
Myself and him traded fairly 1 for 1, whether it was us giving a rare 1980s show for something more recent, we just considered them as recordings and nothing else, that was until we both joined facebook and saw that some others were treating bootlegs like rare collectors cards, "NFT" Not for trade or rare trade only. those doing it got what they wanted from us but prevented us getting some stuff from them. so the 2 of us plus several others decided to play those doing it at their own game and no longer trade items that have surfaced recently and those who started it are now in tears because we now have a stack load of stuff that they won't be getting.

One of those shows is the 1st night of the world slavery tour which does not have Back in the village, those who think it does are the most gullible, the same bloke who put it on you tube also put this on you tube and as someone has mentioned on this thread, anything can be done these days with digital equipment just like this version of Wrathchild. isnt it strange how the back in the village clip on you tube finishes before the vocals start?

As for us selling bootlegs, we only covered the cost of the material used and a drink for our time for doing it, you cannot expect people who have mouths to feed, to buy CD discs, CD Cases, Photopaper and printing ink and give it free to the Iron Maiden community and watch our kids starve.

if it wasn't for certain people in the bootleg community being idiots making stupid rules, all these shows that we have held back would be in your collection by now.

Back in the Village tape is real and it's already proved on the offical forum by STEVEHUNTER.
Well let's see here...

I was actually the guy who after talking with the guy who has the tape with the supposed version of BITV live, recommended Steve Hunter to check it out. Steve Hunter confirmed that all the songs that were shared by the taper are real. He also analysed the audio (as did I) of the songs and we both came to the same conclusion that there's basically no digital tampering with the audio on the songs we heard.

We also, and here's a shout out to @mark100 verified and the show that is supposed to be the first night of the World Slavery Tour, it is in fact the show from Wroclaw and not Warsaw. So, unless Carl has another tape of the show, then we have that there's a confusion and the correct tape (or at least the songs both Steve Hunter and I heard) that the taper has are in fact the first show of the tour.

Both the guy who shared it and I have been having conversations and are still trying to confirm all the facts before coming to a definitive conclusion

Well, I'm still trying to prove that my tape is real - it's not the case of belief, I KNOW that this is real, but of course I understand the guys who not believe in that.

Anyway it caused me to do some deeper research and get in touch with the people who were involved into organising the Polish leg of "World Slavery Tour". Here's few key points of this research. Enjoy!

Roman Rogowiecki after hearing the tape is 100% sure that this is real, also he confirmed that the first 2 shows in Warsaw and Lodz was kind of experimental and the band was trying with some songs and the order of the songs - he said that 2 songs were originally in the setlist and were dropped after 2nd gig in Lodz. Unfortunately he doesn't remember what was the 2nd song - the first one, as he stated after hearing the tape, was definitely "Back In The Village". Mr Rogowiecki said that the second one could be "Flash Of The Blade", but he wasn't sure, so maybe let's not follow this thread - treat is as an urban legend please :) Rogowiecki was a translator during the tour, he was travelling with the band and was the closest one to the band from the Polish crew. He is now a famous music journalist in Poland working for radio and TV.
Andrzej Marzec, the boss of Pagart Agency who organised the Maiden gigs claims that the Polish gigs at first was considered as a warm-up shows and pretented to not be an offiicial part of the tour. Due to very huge demand, they decided to join it as an official tour shows. Anyway he told that the band done some experiments during the first shows and wanted to try some elements of the show before going further to Europe. Also he said that during the bus travels from one town to another, they'd listened recorded shows from previous nights in the bus, analyzed the show flow and then decided which songs works well and which one are designed to be dropped out from the setlist.
The guy who was the camera director in the Polish part of the tour, mr Pawel Karpinski, said that first nights in Poland were a little bit messy and some elements of the shows were experimental. Both shows were filmed for the video which was supposed to be released later by Polish TV, but it was never happened. They allow to film only 2 songs: Aces High and Run To The Hills, but the audio were recorded in full. Video materials probably gone (erased or deleted), but the audio tapes recordings are exists - probably (again) it's a soundboard recordings from Lodz which are closed by the key in some archives. Where? Research is on...

So as you see, 3 key people who were involved into this shows, claims that's my tape is real.

And now a short note about mentioned above mr. Pelpow.... I wanted to make a comparison between my r2r and his material - it's the easiest way to check the key parts of the shows to see which one is legit (Bruce's screams when he saying the city name etc.). I decided to get in touch with him, as he is the only one who claims that he have the Warsaw bootleg. Unfortunately, mr Pelpow run like chicken, blocked me on the messenge without any response and called me an idiot on his personal fb profile. Why? Did he afraid of something? I'm leaving it to you.

In the opposite, John Miles who has fu**ing 7k boots of Maiden, was kind enough to give it a listen. And he had no doubts about the genuine of this material.

Also thanks to Luisma for detailed chats about the tape and other happenings.

The history goes on... Cheers to all Maiden maniacs out here!

Well, I'm still trying to prove that my tape is real - it's not the case of belief, I KNOW that this is real, but of course I understand the guys who not believe in that.

Anyway it caused me to do some deeper research and get in touch with the people who were involved into organising the Polish leg of "World Slavery Tour". Here's few key points of this research. Enjoy!

Roman Rogowiecki after hearing the tape is 100% sure that this is real, also he confirmed that the first 2 shows in Warsaw and Lodz was kind of experimental and the band was trying with some songs and the order of the songs - he said that 2 songs were originally in the setlist and were dropped after 2nd gig in Lodz. Unfortunately he doesn't remember what was the 2nd song - the first one, as he stated after hearing the tape, was definitely "Back In The Village". Mr Rogowiecki said that the second one could be "Flash Of The Blade", but he wasn't sure, so maybe let's not follow this thread - treat is as an urban legend please :) Rogowiecki was a translator during the tour, he was travelling with the band and was the closest one to the band from the Polish crew. He is now a famous music journalist in Poland working for radio and TV.
Andrzej Marzec, the boss of Pagart Agency who organised the Maiden gigs claims that the Polish gigs at first was considered as a warm-up shows and pretented to not be an offiicial part of the tour. Due to very huge demand, they decided to join it as an official tour shows. Anyway he told that the band done some experiments during the first shows and wanted to try some elements of the show before going further to Europe. Also he said that during the bus travels from one town to another, they'd listened recorded shows from previous nights in the bus, analyzed the show flow and then decided which songs works well and which one are designed to be dropped out from the setlist.
The guy who was the camera director in the Polish part of the tour, mr Pawel Karpinski, said that first nights in Poland were a little bit messy and some elements of the shows were experimental. Both shows were filmed for the video which was supposed to be released later by Polish TV, but it was never happened. They allow to film only 2 songs: Aces High and Run To The Hills, but the audio were recorded in full. Video materials probably gone (erased or deleted), but the audio tapes recordings are exists - probably (again) it's a soundboard recordings from Lodz which are closed by the key in some archives. Where? Research is on...

So as you see, 3 key people who were involved into this shows, claims that's my tape is real.

And now a short note about mentioned above mr. Pelpow.... I wanted to make a comparison between my r2r and his material - it's the easiest way to check the key parts of the shows to see which one is legit (Bruce's screams when he saying the city name etc.). I decided to get in touch with him, as he is the only one who claims that he have the Warsaw bootleg. Unfortunately, mr Pelpow run like chicken, blocked me on the messenge without any response and called me an idiot on his personal fb profile. Why? Did he afraid of something? I'm leaving it to you.

In the opposite, John Miles who has fu**ing 7k boots of Maiden, was kind enough to give it a listen. And he had no doubts about the genuine of this material.

Also thanks to Luisma for detailed chats about the tape and other happenings.

The history goes on... Cheers to all Maiden maniacs out here!
Hey friend, I was going to write you during the weekend although I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Good to know you chatted with Andrzej, I have heard he's a great guy. Also good to know that he was able to confirm stories I have also found out about by other means which also confirm thing I wanted to confirm.

BTW a Polish crew was also at the show in Wroclaw and filmed a 20-30 sort of behind the scenes documentary of the band that did end up being show in Polish TV. Will check if the name you mentioned is amongst the ones that filmed it.

Let's see when we finally video chat buddy!

Cheers

Hey friend, I was going to write you during the weekend although I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Good to know you chatted with Andrzej, I have heard he's a great guy. Also good to know that he was able to confirm stories I have also found out about by other means which also confirm thing I wanted to confirm.

BTW a Polish crew was also at the show in Wroclaw and filmed a 20-30 sort of behind the scenes documentary of the band that did end up being show in Polish TV. Will check if the name you mentioned is amongst the ones that filmed it.

Let's see when we finally video chat buddy!

Cheers
I'm currently banned on Facebook for few days so the chat needs to wait a while haha :)
Anyway you're right, we need to chat as there is way more to discuss!

Regarding the film which you've mentioned, I know it and saw it few times. It was made by different crew for Polish TV division Katowice - I think that Mr Karpinski wasnt involved into that as he was working for different film studio.

Last edited:
Absolutely loving this, thank you both for your efforts. I'm keen for a resolution to the Back In The Village debate but also mad keen to hear Flash of the Blade live :edmetal:

I'm currently banned on Facebook for few days so the chat needs to wait a while haha :)
Anyway you're right, we need to chat as there is way more to discuss!

Regarding the film which you've mentioned, I know it and saw it few times. It was made by different crew for Polish TV division Katowice - I think that Mr Karpinski wasnt involved into that as he was working for different film studio.
Ahhh so you being naughty eh? Well, we can wait my friend.

It's been a very interesting investigation so far... funny that you mention Flash Of The Blade as I recently read that the song was tried (don't remember where now) but for now let's center in BTTV!

I'll be honest. The rumour for BITV being played live has been going for a while and I used to be one of those "nah, that's silly and how convenient that one of the few shows without bootlegs would have featured it".

After hearing the snippet I've converted and I believe that, unless we'll find a way to debunk it, that it is far more likely to be real and that BITV was indeed played live.

I'll be honest. The rumour for BITV being played live has been going for a while and I used to be one of those "nah, that's silly and how convenient that one of the few shows without bootlegs would have featured it".

After hearing the snippet I've converted and I believe that, unless we'll find a way to debunk it, that it is far more likely to be real and that BITV was indeed played live.
I was of those who disregarded the whole thing until recently. Its now not beyond the relms of possibilty that it was played but for those who havent heard the whole thing we can never say either way

Last edited:
I've never heard of the "Space Heads" gig... where/when was that?

Also, they did at least one gig as "The Holy Smokers" in 1990
It happened at the end of 1987 in Plymouth. From this unusual gig, manager Rod Smallwood chose a couple of songs for Maiden to record the new versions of "Prowler" and "Charlotte the Harlot" for the next single.

The doc I have containing info from those secret gigs, say this about Plymouth: "Secret gig. No promo. Soundboard Audio exist"

I'm not spoiling Luis' book. All that stuff comes from my private collection, and then published in my book Maiden Avenue [1964-1999] (Feb 2022).

It happened at the end of 1987 in Plymouth. From this unusual gig, manager Rod Smallwood chose a couple of songs for Maiden to record the new versions of "Prowler" and "Charlotte the Harlot" for the next single.

The doc I have containing info from those secret gigs, say this about Plymouth: "Secret gig. No promo. Soundboard Audio exist"

I'm not spoiling Luis' book. All that stuff comes from my private collection, and then published in my book Maiden Avenue [1964-1999] (Feb 2022).
I also have to add that it was thanks to you that I confirmed the occurence of the gig and as always I fully recommend your AWESOME book mate

Back