SIT: individual album judgement by yours truly

Perhaps you need to have an idea of how difficult and well done the drums on SIT are to appreciate them.

The sufficient and only supporting comment is not very valid. Yes, he plays often in sync with Steve but does his breaks, interesting rhythms and subtleties, not of VXI level.

Piece of Mind album has the least tempo changes from all Maiden albums (although I haven't counted these on last 2 albums yet). He does some interesting stuff on e.g. To Tame a Land and Where Eagles Dare, but a lot of it is more simple and loose sand than most he did afterwards.

Last edited:
Dude, I rate drums on what I hear. I don’t care if it’s actually superior to everything ever released, it just doesn’t sound inspired to me.

01. Caught Somewhere in Time - 10/10
02. Wasted Years - 9.5/10
03. Sea Of Madness - 7.5/10
04. Heaven Can Wait- 9.5/10
05. Loneliness of the L.D. Runner - 7/10
06. Stranger In A Strange Land - 8/10
07. Deja Vu - 7.5/10
08. Alexander the Great - 8/10

8.375/10

#3 for me, and probably the most consistent work in the Discography. Love the overall sound, particularly Nicko's drum sound. CSIT features my favorite roll of his, at 6:00.

The musicianship is better on this album than any other they have ever done. To some, it may not be the most energetic, metal sounding or whatever you feel but you cannot deny the musicianship of this album. The riffs, the beautiful harmonies, the phenomenal bass lines, the matched drumming, the layered synths. It all works so perfectly here. It's the best guitar tone too IMO. There is so much to brag about on this album with each and every song unlike others where most songs on an album carry the same elements.

Highlights:
Caught Somewhere in Time : THAT opening, THAT bridge riff to kick off the solo, THAT SOLO
Wasted Years - Brilliant opening riff, excellent rockin riff throughout
Sea of Madness - absolutely magical mid section harmonies, bass lines and emotion from Bruce's vocals
Heaven Can Wait - The feel good song. It just feels good to listen to it. It's fun, energetic and of course the mid section leading to the solo is a live staple
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - amazingly spiritual sounding intro, beautiful chorus and mid section
Stranger in a Strange Land - great bass and drum intro, absolutely stunning solo from Adrian
Deja Vu - mid section guitar, bass and drums working in sync is amazing.
Alexander the Great - THAT SOLO

SIT - there is magic in this album - as a whole, very strong special album: futuristic classic.

Caught Somewhere In Time - 10/10
Wasted Years - 10/10
Sea Of Madness - 7/10
Heaven Can Wait - 9/10
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 8/10
Stranger In A Strange Land - 8/10
Deja Vu - 9/10
Alexander The Great - 10/10
------------------------------------------------------------------
Average album score: 8,87

Caught Somewhere In Time - 8
Wasted Years - 7
Sea Of Madness - 9
Heaven Can Wait - 5
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 8
Stranger In A Strange Land - 10
Deja Vu - 10
Alexander The Great - 8

The only Maiden album that has no songs below 9/10. Phenomenal.
Average rating 9.25/my #2 album after BNW.

Caught Somewhere In Time - 7 >
Wasted Years - 10 >
Sea of Madness - 7 >
Heaven Can Wait - 9 >
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - 9 >
Stranger in a Strange Land - 7 >
Deja Vu - 10 >
Alexander the Great - 10 >

Average Score: 8.63/10
Actual Score: 9.0/10

Not quite as good as the album that preceded it, but SiT is a classic Maiden release nonetheless, with a signature style never matched again. Really strong stuff as a whole.

64/365
Iron_Maiden_-_Somewhere_in_Time.jpg

Somewhere In Time - Iron Maiden
Format: Vinyl

Caught Somewhere In Time - The guitar tone of the intro is unreal, the opening verse is one of my favourite lyrical passages ever. The speed and the mastery of this track is fantastic. Sometimes the chorus gets a little old but the song is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. - 10/10

Wasted Year - My favourite Maiden song, and tied for my favourite song of all time so there is little I can say negatively about this track. Killer vocals, empowering and who can knock that riff. This song hooked me on Maiden and it has never let go; It isn't often a non-ballad can give me chills but the chorus of wasted years does this... - 10/10

Sea of Madness - An incredibly fast paced opening riff kicks off the 3rd track of the album. Bruce's soaring sky high vocals soon enter. Not quite on par with the first two tracks but Sea of Madness is still a song which would kick ass on nearly any album it is placed in, that solo... - 9/10

Heaven Can Wait - Side 1 closes off with the speedy Heaven Can Wait, this song I used to despise, but it has grown on me and now I can recognize it as a strong song on an album filled with amazing tracks. I'm amazed at how fast Bruce is singing this track, the Take my hand portion of the track is really well delivered and reminds me of something off SSOASS - 8.5/10

The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner - A slower introduction leads into another faster paced track with Bruce singing more drawn out but still fast like Heaven can wait. A solid track. -8/10

Stranger In A Strange Land - Another absolute masterpiece, a killer track. Wicked solo, great lyrics and the band performs at the top of their game. Oh and the prechorus is amazing - 10/10

Deja Vu - The beautiful guitar tone continues, seriously why don't more bands have this tone in the studio... the track picks up and is another stronger track. -8.5/10

Alexander The Great - The album closes with another masterpiece track not quite on par with the other 3 but it is a fantastic track - 9.5/10

Overall 93%

Caught Somewhere In Time - 9.25/10
Wasted Years - 10/10
Sea Of Madness - 9/10
Heaven Can Wait - 9.75/10
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 10/10
Stranger In A Strange Land - 8.75/10
Deja Vu - 8.25/10
Alexander The Great - 8.5/10

Average: 9,25/10

Last edited:
1. Caught Somewhere in Time 10
2. Wasted Years 10
3. Sea of Madness 10
4. Heaven can wait 10
5. The loneliness of the long distance runner 10
6. Stranger in a Strange Land 10
7. Deja vu 9,5
8. Alexander the Great 10

F***ING BRILLIANT

Last edited:
Caught Somewhere In Time 10/10
Wasted Years 10/10
Sea Of Madness 9/10
Heaven Can Wait 9/10
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner 9/10
Stranger In A Strange Land 9/10
Deja Vu 9/10
Alexander The Great 10/10

Average song rating 9,37
Overall album score 98% - My #1 album of any genre

A 98 is as high as you go?
Not necessarily, but it's the highest I've had yet. My current method goes like this: I take the average score and give bonus points for things such as production, cover art, musicianship, theme, and consistency. I may also take points away from the average score.

I mean, I'd give several albums a 100% because they work so perfectly well. I was just surprised that your favorite doesn't even get that.

Back