Sea of Madness

How good is Sea of Madness on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Jer

Chaotic Energy
Percussive crashes introduce a busy, driving riff that settles into a nice groove with the bass. This underpins a strong verse and a great rising pre-chorus that leads into an excellent chorus. Great interplay between the instruments throughout.

Another round of verse through chorus and we break into a bright interlude and a fantastic solo that gives way to a great softer bridge with some high "oohs" from Bruce and some variations on the title lyric. Awesome guitar atmospherics and bass work here.

A return to the opening riff carries us through another round of verse through chorus, before a series of excellent variations on the final chorus line carry us to the end along with some great soloing and a long final vocal note.

Such an excellent song. If the verse had been a little stronger this could have garnered another perfect score, but as it stands it's still a robust 9/10.

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Another gem on Somewhere in time. Chorus is great and the second half of this song is really beautiful. 9

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
At one point in time, this was a Top 5 Maiden song for me, but it's falling quite a lot since then. A great chorus and beautiful mid-section hold it up well, but I dislike Bruce's singing on the verses and as a whole it doesn't stand out enough among the band's discography to remain a favorite. Strong, but not the best. 7

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Probably one of the heaviest songs from Maiden in the 80's. Great bombastic start of the song. Steve shines with his bass playing. The verses are ok and the chorus is not bad. The highlight of the song is the amazing solo from Adrian (he is full of them on the SIT album). And of course the calm middle part is great - I wanted after it the song to continue to be calm (or with a long solo through the end). The riff is great. Heavy repetition of the phrase ''of madness'' at the end of the song, but Adrian does good short guitar fills/solo (like the ones in IESF) under it. It's not one of my favorite songs and I think it's the weakest song from the album (the album is still flawless). I think it's a little bit overrated. 7/10

Jer

Chaotic Energy
It's not one of my favorite songs and I think it's the weakest song from the album (the album is still flawless). I think it's a little bit overrated. 7/10
How can an album be flawless, but still have an overrated 7/10 song on it...? :huh:

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
I like the bridge, the chorus and the instrumental part a lot. The problem is that it takes going through a riff and a verse that I find much less interesting to reach them.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
How can an album be flawless, but still have an overrated 7/10 song on it...? :huh:
It's not like I rated the song 2, right? Actually, without any problems could jump to 8. The song is good (that's why I said a little bit overrated IMO) and like I said, it is not one of my favorites, but that no means it is a bad song.... (how a song rated 7/8 can be bad?). As a part of the whole album is great and the album is flawless!

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Wouldn’t every song on the album be a 10/10 if the album were truly flawless...?
That is one way to define a flawless album. However in my opinion "flawless" doesn't automatically mean 10/10. I think that instead of counting the flaws in something, the better way to determine the rating is to count how many great or amazing elements the song has. I absolutely understand the idea of rewarding a flawless song with a 10/10 rating, but the flaws can also be balanced by the truly great elememts.

Jer

Chaotic Energy
For me a flawless albums is when there is not a single bad song on it.
So in your mind an album that was full of completely mediocre, but not bad, songs would be “flawless”? I don’t think that word means what you think it means...

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
So in your mind an album that was full of completely mediocre, but not bad, songs would be “flawless”? I don’t think that word means what you think it means...
I wanted to say something about A Matter of Life and Death being flawless, then I remembered we are not in the blasphemy thread [off to count on how many levels this sentence can function]. :D

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Mediocre song is when you rate it 3 or 4/10. I don't have a rating below 7 for my ratings of SIT songs.

Read the comment of @KidInTheDark666 above - he perfectly described my thoughts about the matter.

Jer

Chaotic Energy
Mediocre song is when you rate it 3 or 4/10.
Mediocre would be more like a 5/10, as it’s not bad, so it’s not in the lower end of the scale.
I don't have a rating below 7 for my ratings of SIT songs.
What you’re describing is an album that’s consistently good — one that doesn’t have any overall bad songs on it. This is very different from a flawless album, which by definition would have no imperfections whatsoever.

I understand your meaning, but you’re using the wrong word for it.