Alexander the Great

How good is Alexander the Great on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
This song is a truly masterpiece ! Amazing vocals, the intro is majestic, both solos are one of the best in Maiden discography, especially Adrian's solo which is superb. Again very good pre-chorus. This song should be played live someday (even just for one time). This is the second favorite song of the fans, right after FOTD. :p

/10.

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
A windy opening with an effective spoken bit moves into a slow-building but fantastic opening piece of music, that gets bigger and bigger until it literally explodes into full force as every member hits the ground running hard. Bruce narrates the life of our protagonist hero with a thrilling performance, and the song moves through sequences like a film. The instrumental section is fantastic, and one of Maiden's best by far. It's a perfect song that was meant to be played live, and I hope that one day it'll get its due in the spotlight. 10

LooseCannon

Yorktown-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
You know, I'm going to challenge the usual concept that the song could have had better lyrics. Sure, we could have had a far more in depth treatise on the life of Alexander, but it wouldn't have been realistic.

However, if one kid out there heard this and did some research and fell in love with history... Then the song has done it's job.

Or in short: if you don't understand (the lyrics) read a history book!

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
You know, I'm going to challenge the usual concept that the song could have had better lyrics. Sure, we could have had a far more in depth treatise on the life of Alexander, but it wouldn't have been realistic.

However, if one kid out there heard this and did some research and fell in love with history... Then the song has done it's job.

Or in short: if you don't understand (the lyrics) read a history book!
There is no denying that Iron Maiden have opened the door to very interesting topics to generations of youngsters. No matter how mediocre I find Steve's lyrics on that song, the result was significantly better and much more interesting and thought-provoking than most metal songs of the time.

I do not know if I have posted this before, but my dad, a (now retired) Professor of Archaeology, used Iron Maiden references in his lectures more than once (thanks to his son: Flight of Icarus and Alexander the Great were the songs; he found The Ides of March less interesting without lyrics :lol: ). He would not have done that if he had thought there was no quality in their lyrics or music.

Last edited: