Short-answer questions

I became a fan of Iron Maiden around 2017, just after the Book of Souls tour ended. Now I am an extremely big Iron Maiden fan, listen to Maiden every day (a day not listening to Maiden is a wasted day) and have seen them live in 2022 and will go again this year. I hate myself every day for not becoming a fan sooner and seeing some incredible tours like Maiden England, The Final Frontier World Tour or the Book of Souls World Tour. The themes of all those tours are so incredible and even just thinking about them gets me hyped even though they are long gone.

Anyway, do you think Iron Maiden will ever play songs from The Final Frontier or Book of Souls live again? I think about the hard fact that Maiden is not getting any younger and although they say they will never retire there has to be an end somewhere, right? Look at Ozzy, who has announced he will stop touring a few days ago. Iron Maiden has 17 studio albums and I have a feeling we won't see anything from the last ones (with the exception of Senjutsu, coming out this year). And that's really sad to think about since I LOVE The Book of Souls. But I feel like songs like If Eternity Should Fail, Red and the Black and The Book of Souls are NEVER going to appear in a setlist anymore.

I think they could bring back Coming Home, El Dorado, Speed of Light or Death or Glory, but I can't see them doing any of the epics.
And if we can take Bruce's word for it, If Eternity Should Fail will come back on his next solo tour.

I don't think they'll ever even play an AMOLAD or DOD song again, let alone TFF or TBOS.
Well, with playing Greater Good live again and revisiting SIT this year - anything is possible. But maybe the classics (and new albums songs) will be a priority more than ever now. The longer epic songs don't have much of a chance, but a song like Wild Wind is totally possible (Red & Black, I think not). Dance Of Death for sure. As for other songs, I'd say: No More Lies, Colours, 1000 Suns, Benjamin Breeg, Final Frontier, El Dorado, Coming Home, Speed Of Light, Death Or Glory. I wanted to say Paschendale and Lord Of Light too. Legacy, Talisman and Book Of Souls are really difficult songs to sing live.
And if we can take Bruce's word for it, If Eternity Should Fail will come back on his next solo tour.
When did he say that? The song works best when it's the opener.

Why Dennis Stratton was really fired? The explanation given in the History Part I is not convincing.
Because the musical genre that Iron Maiden wasn't his cup of tea. Dennis has always been more a rock/hard FM lover than a heavy metal supporter. His style of playing wasn't heavy enough to please to Steve Harris and co. Plus, he tried to make Maiden a softer band.

Why Dennis Stratton was really fired? The explanation given in the History Part I is not convincing.
Not exactly. An agreement was reached between him and the band (management) for him to leave the band. The real reason (this comes directly from Dennis, whom I interviewed for my book covering the story of Steve and Maiden between 73-83 and was also confirmed by other people who I interviewed and worked for the band during that period) was basically because Rod didn't consider him a team player. The whole thing about him not being into the music and that he likes the Eagles is pure rubbish as Steve also liked the Eagles and even went to see them in the late 70's.

You can read more about this whole issue with details here: https://t.co/gmSDdtZdcI

The real reason (this comes directly from Dennis, whom I interviewed for my book covering the story of Steve and Maiden between 73-83 and was also confirmed by other people who I interviewed and worked for the band during that period) was basically because Rod didn't consider him a team player.

How I read this: They were quite serious and determined since the very start. By 1983 they had a stable line up for the decades to come. This was the time Steve & Rod had to loosen their grip which they apparently didn't as we had 2 more leaks the following years by Adrian & Bruce.

Reunion time, Gers was not fired which was a great move from Steve. On the other hand Steve started to take credits for all but one song until 2015. Even managed to pissed of Mark the illustrator, best thing happened to Maiden since Riggs if not better (in a way). Not cool.

But yet, no matter the shortcomings they managed to be a band, not an one man show, not as collective as Metallica, Judas Priest or early Sabbath but way more than Megadeth, Annihilator or Iced Earth.

How I read this: They were quite serious and determined since the very start. By 1983 they had a stable line up for the decades to come. This was the time Steve & Rod had to loosen their grip which they apparently didn't as we had 2 more leaks the following years by Adrian & Bruce.

Reunion time, Gers was not fired which was a great move from Steve. On the other hand Steve started to take credits for all but one song until 2015. Even managed to pissed of Mark the illustrator, best thing happened to Maiden since Riggs if not better (in a way). Not cool.

But yet, no matter the shortcomings they managed to be a band, not an one man show, not as collective as Metallica, Judas Priest or early Sabbath but way more than Megadeth, Annihilator or Iced Earth.
You are quite right about they being pretty determined since the very start (of 1979 I must add). When Rod came into the picture he had good experience managing bands but he was still learning, the reason why he thought it was a good idea to keep the members together almost at all time (to build the camaderie within the band).

By 1983, and especially by the end of it, all band members are more mature and have gained a lot of experience by travelling almost everywhere in the world. However, no one can change the different personalities of the band members and their wishes... Adrian was never really entirely happy within Maiden because, after all, his heart was more in Rock and AOR rock, besides the fact that he was quite happy writing the songs he wanted to play and expressing himself with his music while in Maiden (and this comes directly from his mouth) he was just a cog in the machine. As for Bruce, he isn't an easy person at all and him and Steve have VERY different personalities and background which is one of the reasons why they use to collide a lot during the early days. The story behind Dickinson leaving has a lot of reasons, but it all comes down to wanting to express himself in a way that Maiden (Steve) just couldn't allow.

As for the reunion, there are also many factors to consider, but it all came down to wanting to continue and business... In order to have Adrian and more importatly Bruce back in the fold, Steve had to make a lot of concessions, the most evident, control over some Maiden issues like setlist, stage, music, etc. All in all, now is all for the best

Rod had said (iirc) that he was always afraid that Adrian and Bruce would want to change Maiden's sound or something like this.

Steve has always been the main songwriter (80's/90's/Reunion era). The Smith/Harris/Dickinson songs are probably mostly Smith/Dickinson, idk.

What happened to Mark Wilkinson isn't good because he is a fantastic artsit, but didn't he retire? And the same thing had happened with Derek Riggs and maybe Melvyn Grant(?). Both sides have their right imo. They will find a great artist again, I'm sure.

I think Maiden as a collective band have always been a better example than Priest or even Metallica.

On the other hand Steve started to take credits for all but one song until 2015.

But yet, no matter the shortcomings they managed to be a band, not an one man show, not as collective as Metallica...

Metallica is far less of a collective than Maiden, it's been the James & Lars Show since day one and has become even more so in recent years. I'd also say that Steve has a bigger right to put his name on Maiden's songs than Lars does in Metallica, who has a writing credit on all but three (if I remember correctly) of Metallica's songs, mostly for "arrangement". Steve's role is much the same, but he's also likely contributed lyric and melody ideas.

Rod had said (iirc) that he was always afraid that Adrian and Bruce would want to change Maiden's sound or something like this.

Steve has always been the main songwriter (80's/90's/Reunion era). The Smith/Harris/Dickinson songs are probably mostly Smith/Dickinson, idk.

What happened to Mark Wilkinson isn't good because he is a fantastic artsit, but didn't he retire? And the same thing had happened with Derek Riggs and maybe Melvyn Grant(?). Both sides have their right imo. They will find a great artist again, I'm sure.

I think Maiden as a collective band have always been a better example than Priest or even Metallica.
Well, he was right almost from day one. As I said, Adrian was never completely happy in Maiden, after all, he had to abandon HIS band and music in order to join Maiden. Bruce, on the other hand, not only has a strong personality and (as most singers) has a very big ego, he also knows his talents and came from a different background that Steve, so they were headbutting almost always.

There's kind of a funny story about how Steve and Bruce didn't really get along, told by Mick Wall as somewhat as follows: At the end of the World Slavery Tour, Tour Manager Tony Wiggins wanted to play a joke on Steve, so he arranged that on the flight back home, Bruce would be sitting beside Harris knowning that the bass player and singer have different interest and that the flight is long. Anyway, they board the plane each one takes their seats and of course, Harris realises what Tony has done. The plane departs and just after some hours of flight have gone by, Steve stands and goes to Wiggins and says to him, 'You so-so what the hell? Having me sitting beside Bruce who is going with all this airplane shit and history and bla bla bla, YOU go and sit beside him and I will take your seat!"

About the Smith/Harris/Dickinson you're right. Usually what has happened is that Bruce and Adrian have most of the song and take it to Harris who makes a suggestion and he gets a writing credit.

Yeah, very sad thing what has happened with Mark but well, maybe he just got tired of it all.

Metallica is far less of a collective than Maiden, it's been the James & Lars Show since day one and has become even more so in recent years. I'd also say that Steve has a bigger right to put his name on Maiden's songs than Lars does in Metallica, who has a writing credit on all but three (if I remember correctly) of Metallica's songs, mostly for "arrangement". Steve's role is much the same, but he's also likely contributed lyric and melody ideas.

Why I don't agree:
1) Metallica are two (James +Lars) to run the show where in Maiden was always one. And as we know 2>1.
2) Metallica has been stable with few members changing comparing to Maiden.
3) Lars, in Jason's words "gets writing credits because he's playing drums", but I see collectiveness here; James giving away his share to his mate, whereas Steve used to throws an intro adding his name to the credits for 15+ years.

Why I don't agree:
1) Metallica are two (James +Lars) to run the show where in Maiden was always one. And as we know 2>1.
2) Metallica has been stable with few members changing comparing to Maiden.
3) Lars, in Jason's words "gets writing credits because he's playing drums", but I see collectiveness here; James giving away his share to his mate, whereas Steve used to throws an intro adding his name to the credits for 15+ years.
Well I disagree with that. At least with Maiden nowadays. In the 80s that was the case.

Yes, Steve is still in charge of the music portion, but most people don't realise that Bruce is in charge in most other areas. Products, image etc is mostly Bruce now. And it seems that 'Arry is happy with that.

Regarding H, he might not be that vocal about things, but I believe he is the key part in the studio, even though he isn't in charge. His ear is very much missed in the 90s Maiden albums and for example Tyranny Of Souls.

So, in short, Maiden are more of a collective than Metallica since 99 IMO. In the 80s, it was a different story.

Lars writes lots of stuff. He cant play guitar, but he replaces it with humming. For example Kirk's early version of the famous Sandman riff is very different than final version which Lars came up with. Lars contributes a lot to Metallica songs. Actually Kirk has came up with a lot of their best riffs too its not all James show.

The comparison is complicated since the way Metallica works in the studio is entirely different to Maiden. Outside of Kill 'Em All, none of Metallica's material would exist in the form we know it without Lars since it was all written and arranged by James and Lars jamming together and figuring out which riff or part goes where from material produced by everyone in the band. Sometimes things get layered, like Ride the Lightning's intro being written by Lars but with a harmony part added by Cliff, onto a track consisting of riffs by James and Dave Mustaine.

Maiden's always had incredibly defined songwriting roles in comparison. Bruce works with Adrian on some tracks, Adrian works with Steve on others, Steve usually writes two songs using Janick's material (and in some cases like The Pilgrim, Janick writes basically the entire song, lyrics and all) while also writing at least one lengthier track entirely by himself, and also one other based on an idea Dave had. There's no collective filter that functionally writes all the tracks in their complete form. Also, the lyrics are a crapshoot. Bruce only does lyrics on a song if he's explicitly credited as a songwriter, while Metallica's lyrics are solely by James outside of St. Anger.

Back