1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadows Of The Valley

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

13.0%
  2. 9

10.9%
  3. 8

21.7%
  4. 7

26.1%
  5. 6

15.2%
  6. 5

6.5%
  7. 4

4.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.2%
  1. Donner

Donner Ancient Mariner

I feel like this track gets dismissed solely because of the intro. But once beyond that intro I think it's a fantastic song with one of the best choruses on an album of really great choruses.

The "into the valley of death fear no evil, we must go forward no matter the cost" is one of my favorite moments on the whole album.

Deanatron and Shavasku like this.
  2. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

My opinions are still crystallising re this album, but Shadows is going to end up among my favourites.

3. Babo 91

Babo 91 Nomad

It's beginning to become one of my favourite maiden moments. Adrians solo before that bit is also very different

4. Shavasku

Shavasku Nomad

It has happened with me. I was kinda mad with the wasted years intro and that made me dislike this song just because. Bad choice. Once I got over the wasted years intro, I started to like it and now I am in love with it. Probably top 3 or 4 from the album.

5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Losfer Words was the one I was thinking of. There may be one more that isn't springing to mind.

6. The Mid-Distance Runner

The Mid-Distance Runner Climb like a lemur!!

Adrian's solo is really nice. It sounds like a part of the wind sweeping across the valley of death. Or a raven journeying high above.

...do those comparing the opening to Wasted Years also compare the main riff in Hallowed Be Thy Name to the final part of Gengis Khan?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  7. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

This song is settling in nicely as my #3 of the album. (Behind TBOS and TRATB.) I've said it before, but I'm still holding out hope that this song will make it on to the live setlist. 8/10

8. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

Think this song is squeaking into my top 10 nowadays. Fantastic, fantastic song. I actually really enjoy the Wasted Years intro and hope they play it live to troll the living daylights out of people.

9. Brave New Pilgrim

Brave New Pilgrim What not to do if your bird sh#$% on you....

I love the melodies in this song, particularly towards the end. Could have done without the last chorus section, though. Still amongst my favorites on the album.

10. My third favourite from the album. Fantastic melody on this galloping song.

11. Nick2632

Nick2632 Nomad

8/10. This one is my 2nd least favorite on The Book Of Souls ahead of Death Or Glory, which sucks because that's an entire side on vinyl. That being said, it's still a good song on a great album! The intro is really the only thing I don't care for on the song, but the rest makes up for it. Maybe this song will grow on me more eventually.

12. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

This is interesting. This song is my 3rd favorite of the album, yet I also give it 8/10 as well. Either we have different rating systems, or you must LOVE this album immensely.

For the record, this is legitimately my favorite album since 7th Son, and my #3 Maiden album overall.

I did think about giving this song a 9/10, but I keep that reserved for incredible songs, While 10/10 is strictly for masterpieces.

13. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Well, for me it's 9/10, along with 9/10 for both TBOS and TRATB. In my opinion this album does not have masterpieces, being in fact the first album since Virtual to do so. :D

14. Josh

Josh Nomad

Still not getting the love for this one. Can't get into it.

15. JudasMyGuide

Well, I too wasn't convinced at first... I didn't like the Wasted intro. But then I concentrated on Bruce ("Mind over matter..." ... "Into the valley of death...") and my appreciation has grown a lot.

16. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

It's growing on me, I'm beginning to like it, along with The Great Unknown.

The only song I really can't get into is When The River Runs Deep.

17. Caveman Ninja

Caveman Ninja The Titanic doesn't fit inside

Me neither. It's also way too long for what it is.

18. RyanMaiden01

RyanMaiden01 Ghost of the Navigator

This song has some of my favorite lyrics from the album.
    "Into the valley of death, fear no evil
    We will go forward no matter the cost
    Into the valley of death, follow me now
    Bring me your souls and I'll make it our last"

Lampwick 43 and Dityn DJ James like this.
  19. JudasMyGuide

Also, the H solo. The H solo!

20. RTC

RTC Libera et impera!

The more I listen to this, the more I think this is the best song on the album, and potentially a 10/10 track (or at least a 9). It almost seems like a hybrid, like a mad scientist threw some previous Maiden songs together in a blender, and yet, it works, and works stupendously.

Bruce, the lyrics, the riffs, that chorus...it's amazing.