1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadows Of The Valley

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

13.0%
  2. 9

10.9%
  3. 8

21.7%
  4. 7

26.1%
  5. 6

15.2%
  6. 5

6.5%
  7. 4

4.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.2%
  1. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Keyboards are too prominent in the mix for me and I really don't like the intro. After that it kind of plods a bit too. Last few minutes save it.

2. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

The production and sound quite bad throughout the album. As a matter of fact somehow the bad sound is very prominent in this song. It has got some great parts but it is quite repetitive. I think that the whole album has some great parts. For the most part some really great solos.... great melodies....however the arrangements in many cases are quite poor.

3. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

This song doesn't do that much for me. I hear a lot of great parts, chorus and solos are great, but the songs doesn't leave a lasting impression on me, and would probably be the 2nd song I would cut of the album to make it more consistent.

6/10

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

9/10

The intro to Shadows of the Valley…is the main riff of Wasted Years. I mean, it still sounds good and it was apparently written by Janick Gers, but it’s virtually identical in almost every way. I don’t know how this song ended up making it to the record without Adrian saying, “Hey, you know I wrote that 30 years ago, right?” The intro lyrics even namecheck Sea of Madness, another Adrian tune from the Somewhere in Time album. Odd choices all around, especially considering H had nothing to do with this song. Once the song picks up, though, it’s awesome. The rollicking pace brings to mind Janick’s favorite sea-shanty style, a la Ghost of the Navigator or The Talisman (always a welcome sound in my opinion). Bruce slays on this track, as well, and the main unison is haunting in it’s jauntiness. The solo section is once again stellar, especially Janick and Adrian’s leads, and the post-solo vocal segment (“Into the valley of death…”) is one of the catchiest moments on the album.

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Very pleasantly surprised by this one. I was expecting a slower, more acoustic track, yet this is a seven minute rocker, plain and simple. The intro is a pleasant callback to Wasted Years, and the entire song is an enjoyable experience. One of the greats of the album. A strong 8/10, possibly a 9 later on.

6. Dentura

Dentura Invader

The introduction sounds a little too close to Wasted Years for my comfort, but it doesn't last long and when the song really gets going, the band fires on all cylinders and take no prisoners. The music sounds very tight and there is a great sense of synergy between the instrumentalists. Bruce Dickinson gives a very passionate performance as well. One of the most enjoyable songs on the album in my opinion. 8.75/10 (which i'll round up to a 9)