Shadows Of The Valley

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This one has been growing on me as of late. I'm still not too keen on the intro due to the Wasted Years riff re-use, but the rest of the song is quite good, especially the chorus.

This one hasn't clicked with me yet. It's good, but not great, and I think they could have shortened it by a minute or so for a better track.

This song is the only one that hasn't clicked with me. I like the references to old songs in the lyrics but the Wasted Years thing at the beginning is too blatant for me. Especially given that they've rehashed that riff a couple times already. Normally this sort of thing doesn't bug me too much, but it's pretty distracting here. Hopefully the rest of the song grows on me though.

I couldn't agree more. I have no problems with some subtle references (like the "sea of madness" line), but that riff is virtually identical.

Yes. The into the valley part is really one of the highlights of the album for me, certainly best part of SOTV. With the whoas, I think it would be fun to sing along with if played live.

It's a great melody. It's stronger than the chorus, maybe it should've been ... Works well where it is though

I love everything about this song, except the wasted years intro. Again, the "into the valley" part is just... beautiful. 9/10

Worst song on the album... I call it Fillers Of The Valley.
Classifying every song we don't like as filler is a tiresome habit, in my view. Maybe you think of it that way, but odds are, the band didn't when they recorded it, so regardless of the quality of the result, "filler" isn't really a good way to refer to Maiden songs we like less than others.

My favorite part of this amazing song is "listen closely to THE raven's call". I just love it!
Classifying every song we don't like as filler is a tiresome habit, in my view. Maybe you think of it that way, but odds are, the band didn't when they recorded it, so regardless of the quality of the result, "filler" isn't really a good way to refer to Maiden songs we like less than others.
People have been calling weaker songs on albums fillers for a very long time now so I don't see a problem with it.

My favorite part of this amazing song is "listen closely to THE raven's call". I just love it
People have been calling weaker songs on albums fillers for a very long time now so I don't see a problem with it.
It strikes me as a passive-aggressive way to say you don't like a song. If you don't like a song, fine, tell us why, don't handwave it with "filler."

Of course, this album hardly needs a filler.
It's another thing if it's like 35 minutes long and they say "ok, let's put that dinosaur song so it's standard length", but definitely not this one :D

This song is the only one that hasn't clicked with me. I like the references to old songs in the lyrics but the Wasted Years thing at the beginning is too blatant for me. Especially given that they've rehashed that riff a couple times already.

The Clansman (backing for chorus) and ...?

I feel like this track gets dismissed solely because of the intro. But once beyond that intro I think it's a fantastic song with one of the best choruses on an album of really great choruses.

The "into the valley of death fear no evil, we must go forward no matter the cost" is one of my favorite moments on the whole album.

Back