Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

What on earth is wrong with Lost in a Lost World? :huh:
I *like* the song, but it’s also one of Steve’s weirdest, most ham-fisted compositions. The intro has almost nothing to do with the rest of the song. The verses are cram-packed strangely (“They see the Eagle as he floooooooooOooOooats… ON THE WIND!”) the outro is a mouthful word salad, and the instrumental section is like a revisit of ‘90s Maiden. With all that in mind, I do still like it for what it is. It’s a weird song but to me it still works, although it’s also my second least favorite on the album after “Darkest Hour” (which is also not nearly as awful as harrisdevot claims).

I don't know, I really enjoy it. I haven't read the lyrics and don't pay attention to them when listening to the song, so maybe that helps, I don't know. I just like it for the music.

Bad chorus, aimless noodling interludes a la 90s Maiden.
This, pretty much. I also feel like the intro, while great on its own, really feels too disconnected from the rest of the song. The outro's pretty nice too, but that chorus and the interlude that just kinda goes nowhere really kills it for me. I don't think it's bad necessarily, but it's easily the weakest track on the record.

I don't know, I really enjoy it. I haven't read the lyrics and don't pay attention to them when listening to the song, so maybe that helps, I don't know. I just like it for the music.
It’s less about the lyrics and more about the way they’re structured. Again, it’s weird to me, but not bad.

Also @Jer I gotta disagree with you bro, I think the chorus is super fun. The first time I played the album it was a highlight. It’s kind of in the vein of “The Wicker Man” (the backing music is kinda similar too I think) and it hits only slightly less hard. Probably my favorite part of the song.

I *like* the song, but it’s also one of Steve’s weirdest, most ham-fisted compositions. The intro has almost nothing to do with the rest of the song. The verses are cram-packed strangely (“They see the Eagle as he floooooooooOooOooats… ON THE WIND!”) the outro is a mouthful word salad, and the instrumental section is like a revisit of ‘90s Maiden. With all that in mind, I do still like it for what it is. It’s a weird song but to me it still works, although it’s also my second least favorite on the album after “Darkest Hour” (which is also not nearly as awful as harrisdevot claims).
Great to see how different tastes we can have. I disliked Lost when I first heard it (most of all the main heavy riff) but it clicked really quickly. I love the verses (although I agree they are strange), the instrumental part is really dynamic (and the recurrence of some passages is really important, as the different themes perfectly complement each other), and for me, the outro is one of the most beautiful bits Harris has ever written, and it says a lot.

Last edited:
Also @Jer I gotta disagree with you bro, I think the chorus is super fun. The first time I played the album it was a highlight. It’s kind of in the vein of “The Wicker Man” (the backing music is kinda similar too I think)
Yeah, the backing music is very much “The Wicker Man” on that part, but that just sets up a comparison that the LIALW chorus is bound to lose. The vocal melody and performance doesn’t work for me at all on the LIALW chorus. Bruce sounds flat-out bad there, IMO, and it’s an example of the sort of thing that a stronger hand from the producer could have fixed.

But, different strokes, as always.

I didn't say it was bad, just that I personally think it'll have two camps. We'll find out soon enough :)

Bruce sounds flat-out bad there, IMO
Interesting. There are some lines in this song where he warbles but I dig him reaching for the highs in the chorus itself.

Also @harrisdevot LIALW was a highlight when I first spun the album but it fell fast, only to stabilize somewhere in the “hey, it’s not perfect, but it’s still a good Maiden song” category.

Also @harrisdevot LIALW was a highlight when I first spun the album but it fell fast, only to stabilize somewhere in the “hey, it’s not perfect, but it’s still a good Maiden song” category.
Interesting perspective. I get not liking a song so much at first and then it grows on you. Everyone has done that. I personally don’t ever recall loving a song at first and then later go “you know, it’s not as great as I thought.”

Back