Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I think some people who doesn't play an instrument themselves might have difficulties in distinguishing different guitar styles and sounds overall. It's easier if you ear is trained a little bit.

This lead melody part in Hell on Earth is played by Dave though:

But a lot of people think it's played by Janick, propably because Steve always gave him such parts, that are following the lead vocals, in the past.
I do happen to play guitar but i think its pretty easy to distinguish who plays what. Although ive heard a few people say it harder than ever on this album but i dont find thats the case. The tones and phrase of each player are totally different and very distinguishable

TheMercenary

Ancient Mariner
I do happen to play guitar but i think its pretty easy to distinguish who plays what. Although ive heard a few people say it harder than ever on this album but i dont find thats the case. The tones and phrase of each player are totally different and very distinguishable
Yeah, it's easy to know who plays what. The best trick for that is to watch some Maiden show and observe the guitarists playing their respective solos. When the camera is pointing to Adrian, listen to the sound of his guitar. Do the same with Dave and Janick. And then, you'll be able to distinguish every guitar sound on each studio track. ;)

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
How do you know that? Is there a recording diary he published?
From Kevin's diary - in both songs (''Darkest Hour'' and ''The Writing On The Wall'') it was noted that Janick will have a solo, but you can see the word ''out'' above. I guess they decided to replace his solos with guitar licks during the choruses at the end of the songs.

You can also see from the picture that initially ''The Time Machine'' was without a solo from Adrian... his proggy solo is really short - the solo fits the song perfectly. It would have been only the second song since the reunion (after ''Brave New World'') with solos from Janick and Dave, but not from Adrian.

-> it seems ''The Writing On The Wall'' and ''The Time Machine'' were the last songs recorded for the album (the first were Steve's last 3 epics).

Ruflux

Ancient Mariner
From Kevin's diary - in both songs (''Darkest Hour'' and ''The Writing On The Wall'') it was noted that Janick will have a solo, but you can see the word ''out'' above. I guess they decided to replace his solos with guitar licks during the choruses at the end of the songs.
I think you're reading too much into it, "out" almost certainly is just shorthand for "outro" as in outro solo since that what his solos functionally are - they play during the final chorus of both songs and there's no proper outro on either song, unlike say, Janick or Steve's tracks.

srfc

Ancient Mariner
Just reading a lot in the whole chart in general, I wouldn't be surprised if that chart is no more than a check list for recording guitar various bits and pieces and might have no more meaning than that, e.g. he accidentally wrote the Parchment twice so it can't be that important!

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
Just reading a lot in the whole chart in general, I wouldn't be surprised if that chart is no more than a check list for recording guitar various bits and pieces and might have no more meaning than that, e.g. he accidentally wrote the Parchment twice so it can't be that important!

That is because the song is so bloody long!

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
I think the highs on TBOS are higher than the highs on Senjutsu and that is why I probably rank the former higher than the current album.
Senjutsu is a better album than TBOS imo (I like the whole album, while in the latter I don't like at least one song so much... and the highs on the former are higher than the highs on the latter) - I rank it as my 2nd favorite album from the reunion era.

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
Senjutsu is a better album than TBOS imo (I like the whole album, while in the latter I don't like at least one song so much... and the highs on the former are higher than the highs on the latter) - I rank it as my 2nd favorite album from the reunion era.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Iron Lurker

Ancient Mariner
Senjutsu is my favorite reunion album. Not new album hype, either.

Jer

Love in anger
I’m leaning in this direction as well, though it’s a close race between Senjutsu and TBOS for second place in the reunion era behind AMOLAD, IMO. I want to get a little more play time and distance before I get specific about rating the new album, though.

Yax

Ancient Mariner
I'd rank Senjutsu around the middle. I like BNW and AMOLAD more, but Senjutsu is ahead of both DoD and TBOS. TFF and Senjutsu are right in the middle. I can't quite make out which out of those two I prefer. I've developed a new appreciation for TFF, as recently as the last month or so.

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
I’ve long considered BNW and TBOS to be Top 5 Maiden albums, and I don’t think that changes with Senjutsu. But it 100% stands on their level, all three of those albums are incredibly consistent and top DOD, AMOLAD, and TFF (more inconsistent with some duds) for me.