Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Yes, I understand that all sales are recorded in a database, but do Iron Maiden have access to these data (and how)? I guess that most stores have their own database, which are not accessible for external partners, hence they might be obligated to report to a central database as well.

Let me make it clear that I'm not asking this in terms of distributing leaks. I don't have interest in leaks.

I just don't understand, how the music business and Iron Maiden in particular can control, when and where all copies are being sold. It must be a huge work to collect all the data. And let's say that a small shop in a small town in Germany does NOT follow the rules and sells all their copies of Senjutsu two days prior to the release date. What can Iron Maiden do about it? I can't imagine that they'll go to court.
As I wrote, some labels put a digital fingerprint on the CDs called "watermark". When a CD is watermarked it means that it's like some DNA that can be used to find the culprit of a leak on the web. Especially when each store gets a particular bundle of records in boxes on which there is a sticker with the address of the store and a unique identification number corresponding to the ID of the store. In these boxes, the CDs that are watermarked with an ID corresponding to the records that have been sent to the retailer. That's the way labels can find people who uploaded the CD on the internet. ;)

That's the same principle for the mp3 sent to the journalists on the legal downloading platforms as Haulix or HearTheMusic. Each people who download the mp3 via the link that have been sent to his/her e-mail box is automatically recorded as the one who downloaded theses files and if some mp3 make its way to the internet, the journalist who is guilty is quickly identified. ;)

New forum posts cause incidents
The arguments, inelegant
You tell me, "It's their best one ever!"
Cynical? Well, me I'm neither
But wouldn't you like to have it now
And risk a ban, if you get caught?
The final week seems oh so long
But in the end, it will all turn out well...

Yeah, oh

Ban me
Ban me before I share the leak of new album
Save me
Save me from not respecting the Maidenfans rules, ow

As I wrote, some labels put a digital fingerprint on the CDs called "watermark". When a CD is watermarked it means that it's like some DNA that can be used to find the culprit of a leak on the web. Especially when each store gets a particular bundle of records in boxes on which there is a sticker with the address of the store and a unique identification number corresponding to the ID of the store. In these boxes, the CDs that are watermarked with an ID corresponding to the records that have been sent to the retailer. That's the way labels can find people who uploaded the CD on the internet. ;)

That's the same principle for the mp3 sent to the journalists on the legal downloading platforms as Haulix or HearTheMusic. Each people who download the mp3 via the link that have been sent to his/her e-mail box is automatically recorded as the one who downloaded theses files and if some mp3 make its way to the internet, the journalist who is guilty is quickly identified. ;)
Thank you for trying to make an old fart like me understand the digital world. I appreciate it. :)

However, let's say that I get my copy 2 days earlier and DON'T upload any leaks. Will the secret agents working for Rod still be able to find out that some moonlighting took place? ;)

Yeah, oh

Ban me
Ban me before I share the leak of new album
Save me
Save me from not respecting the Maidenfans rules, ow
There's got to be more to leaks than this
Or tell me why it's only 10 megabits?
I'd like to think that when I get banned
I'll get a chance, another try
And to return and leak again
Re-download it on Pirate Bay
And again
And again
And again
And agaaaaaain...

There's got to be more to leaks than this
Or tell me why it's only 10 megabits?
I'd like to think that when I get banned
I'll get a chance, another try
And to return and leak again
Re-download it on Pirate Bay
And again
And again
And again
And agaaaaaain...
Pirate bay has been a shell of it's former self for at least a couple years.

Thank you for trying to make an old fart like me understand the digital world. I appreciate it. :)

However, let's say that I get my copy 2 days earlier and DON'T upload any leaks. Will the secret agents working for Rod still be able to find out that some moonlighting took place? ;)
I think that if you buy it, it's OK for Rod, the band and the label because you bought the album. The problem for you would be if you put the record on torrent or direct download sites to share it with the world. ;)

The Final Frontier was leaked at August 9 - 4 days before album release.
The Book Of Souls was leaked at 28 August, 7 days before it’s release.

So it's a quite an an achievement that 6 days before release it has not leaked.

The Final Frontier was leaked at August 9 - 4 days before album release.
The Book Of Souls was leaked at 28 August, 7 days before it’s release.

So it's a quite an an achievement that 6 days before release it has not leaked.
But it's not an achievement. I've mentioned before that since TBOS 6 years ago, I've only ever seen albums leak within 24 hours of official release. The one exception being the Tool album 2 years ago that leaked 5 days early.

You know what? We should spend the rest of this week writing the lyrics for a parody album! We could call it Single Click of a Seventeenth Leak, with the story being something like:
  • Someone finds a leak
  • Debates what to do
  • Clicks on it and downloads it
  • Posts it to Maidenfans
  • The link gets deleted and they get banned
  • Someone else sees the link before it's deleted
  • The cycle begins again
@Diesel 11, @Belshazzar, what do you think?

I think that if you buy it, it's OK for Rod, the band and the label because you bought the album. The problem for you would be if you put the record on torrent or direct download sites to share it with the world. ;)
"I'll see you in Hell before I see you in Reno" (quote from Shawshank). In other words: that will never happen. :bigsmile::innocent:

I believe that's true. I remember when alice coopers paranormal album was leaked after being sold by store(s) early they were able to track it down and i assume come down pretty hard on them.

Back