First impression from reading several album reviews,
Songs that will be killer:
Days of Future Past
The Time Machine
The Death of the Celts
Hell on Earth

Dark Horses: Senjutsu, Darkest Hour, The Parchment
It can go both ways type songs: Stratego, Lost in a Lost World
(I don't feel Stratego. To me it's a dark horse, which can be killer or just meh :oops:

We'll see how it will turn out after actually listening to the album :D

Last edited:
Not that AMOLAD is not a good album. Especially after the 2015 remastering it sounds super powerful and clear. But IMO it is too uniform if that makes sense. I think all songs have more or less a very similar feel (if you know what I mean). I am all for variation in an album and it seems Senjutsu is like that.
I think there is a lot of variation on AMOLAD, but I think I get what you mean. For me, one of AMOLADs strengths is how ties together the songs are. It's so consistent, and flows so well.

Sorry, I must have missed something. Where do these information come from? He's talked about it in an interview?

Bruce might have mentioned that on the interview for Fan Club magazine #100 (I cannot remember... I'm getting on a bit!), but he did say a couple of times in 2015 that Steve loved two of the songs he had demoed with Roy Z but they could only use one (If Eternity Should Fail), as the other one was co-written with Roy Z.

The bit about having 17 songs ready for a solo album came from Roy Z (online post somewhere, if I remember correctly).

Please correct me if I’m wrong. For all the reviews so far I don’t think anyone said there was a weak (or bad) track? Also, it seems reviewers had different favorites? This bodes very well if this is the case
There are 4 reviews in the German “Metal Hammer”:
Reviewer 1: 6,5/7
Reviewer 2: 5,5/7
Reviewer 3: 6/7
Reviewer 4: 3;5/7 (For this reviewer, it’s a weak album, a disappointment.)

There are 4 reviews in the German “Metal Hammer”:
Reviewer 1: 6,5/7
Reviewer 2: 5,5/7
Reviewer 3: 6/7
Reviewer 4: 3;5/7 (For this reviewer, it’s a weak album, a disappointment.)
First negative review, wonder how the reviewer rates the other reunion albums….

Listening to "The Writing on the Wall" again. Great song, great feel and the best solo section they've had for a single. Reaaaaally looking forward to this album. Production is loose and takes a while to get used to, but the playing is way more tight and controlled than "Speed of Light". Feel this is going to be a great one...

Just want to grab my guitar and play along all day.

First negative review, wonder how the reviewer rates the other reunion albums….
Reviewer 4, Metal Hammer Germany:
I tried it on different days, in different moods., gave it a chance to grow, to create an aha moment, to break through. The problems start with the introduction: Why put such a ponderous song at the beginning? Although there is not a single song on the entire album that completely wows me one of the livelier songs (Stratego, TWOTW) would have been better suited than this lame duck.
In general, the band seems to consciously stand on the brakes for long stretches. Besides the absence of any hooks, memorable riffs, uplifting refrains and sing-along passages, ponderous midtempo, progressive structures and expansive instrumental phases dominate and problems with the mixing and Bruce's vocals, which sound pressed in the highs instead of powerful, are noticeable in places.
The best are the moments reminiscent of “Dance of Death” ( Lost in a Lost World, The Time Machine, The Parchment and the neat conclusion Hell on Earth). It is and remains too cerebral, long-winded, expansive and below the line too indifferent.
Instead of a sword that cuts through the air, the band gives us a detailed but blunt blade that has already developed rust.

Reviewer 4, Metal Hammer Germany:

The best are the moments reminiscent of “Dance of Death” ( Lost in a Lost World, The Time Machine, The Parchment and the neat conclusion Hell on Earth). It is and remains too cerebral, long-winded, expansive and below the line too indifferent.
Interesting that this negative review lists Lost in a Lost World, as one of the best.

Back