Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Overall, I see Loudwire's review as a very positive and promising. My only gripe is from this sentence:
"There’s some fans out there that will just never accept that this is where Steve wants to be, at least when left to his own devices. As typical as the acoustic intros have become regarding songs of this length, these epics are far from being stuck in any sort of comfort zone. Differentiating these is a ridiculously huge task, especially after authoring so many like this.
Even so, there is much sweeter fruit to be tasted elsewhere on Senjutsu. There’s a bit of a disconnect on some of these parts."

What exactly reviewer is implementing here? That Steve likes to write long prog songs and stubborn fans of classic Maiden will be disappointed? I am ok with long songs, but I really don't want the new songs to sound somewhat similar to British Lion (because musically it is also Steve's child) So, where Steve wants to be musically? :oops: Soon we will found out.
About "disconnect on some of these parts". Some of you pointed earlier that some songs on Burning feels connected from different parts. In a negative way.

Last edited:
There are apps for making the whole thing much easier. Snap a picture and let the app both read and translate the thing.

Guys, I think the song writing case study for Steve is quite clear. If you check the making of for AMOLAD,while Steve is doing the arrangement for The legacy, you can here him say something like......the two more of these and then that....so he is just saying how many times each of the parts would be repeated while singing the vocal line. From what we know so far it seems that Steve's got lots of ideas and he:
1) Does the arrangement for other people's songs
2) Glues his parts together to do his own songs. IMO he is more commited in the lyrics telling a complete story than providing an arrangement that is not plodding.

Keeping in mind that he likes to take his time to provide the main hooks of each song.... I remember him saying to Jan for OOTSP....let's do not give it to them right away (the gallop that is). Thus we get the acoustic intro then the mid tempo groove,then the galloping and so on.
As for the "parts are disconnected" part. Steve used to build up his epics now he is just repeating parts and have tempo changes that are indeed sudden and unrelated. e.g Fortunes of War, Dream of mirrors and so on.

All of us in here are quite experiences on the Maiden sound,right? So I do not see how Steve, after doing the same thing for so long, is going to do something different. I am ok with leaving this to H and Bruce. So of course we would still have repeating parts, we would obviously have the third guitar just following Bruce's vocal line, of course we would have 3 minute intros with the same C D E chord progression.
If we also consider that the songs are recorded as soon as they are arranged....then it is only logical that there are parts that can be improved.

The quiestion here is whether this time aorund Steve would do it better than in the other albums. I mean there is nothing wrong in the formula he uses, it just need to be done in a cohesive way. IMO - and please I do not want to have people bashing me about this again- I do not thing that he is as sharp as he used to be in order to understand what is the limit and where he needs to actually try and edit his parts. He did that back in the day and thus he gave us some of the best heavy metal anthems in music history.

One thing is for sure though. EWven he still provides songs that are unnecessarily long, there would still be some killer ideas in them.

Last edited:
Alright , first part of the first review (note , there are two in this magazine)

Review 1 of 2 Rating 9/10

The loudest Folk-Band on the Planet

Iron Maiden themselves probably never thought about sitting 3 years on a finished record and weren't able to talk to you about it. Recorded 2019 in Guillaume Tell Studios in Paris, a Studio they know and love. 22 Years ago they recorded Brave New World and also 2015 Book of Souls was created in the western part of Paris. Senjutsu, the name of their 17th output, was kept a secret way to long. After completion the Band toured through North- and South America, shortly after everyone was going their own way to different parts of the world. The last time they've been together was October 15th 2019 in Chile. They worked a little on Legacy of the Beast and Adrian Smith worked with Richie Kotzen on their Self titled collaboration. Then, Corona hit and everything fell kind of flat. After Bruce rejoined maiden in 2000, their musical output can be described in short : Songs are getting longer and more playful. This proud band is taking it's time in creating new songs. Some older fans might mourn the loss of fast paced rockers. But still, Maiden is extremely exciting to this day. If you are burning for more progressive songs while also getting older, they are right there for you. This also accounts for Senjutsu. Maiden successfully create are very thoughtful Double Album clocking in at 82 Minutes. It greatly differs from The Book of Souls. It's closer to Brave New World due to amazing melodies while keeping the progressive direction the Band hast taken since. You instantly hear how unagitated Bruce sings these songs without sounding rushed. Also noteworthy is the production by Kevin Shirley. this is the first record which allows you to put on some headphones and enjoy it. Senjutsu sounds powerful and clear. They didn't sound THAT good since their 80's.

The Brits start off the record kind of monumental and heavy, but also bulky. Nicko takes center stage in >Senjutsu< , drumming like a Shaman, swinging around his kit with ease. in combination with raw guitar chords , the first seconds remind me of Saigon Kicks - New World until it unfolds into a tough and thrilling Maiden Epos. This Harris / Smith song sounds more like a Smith / Dickinson song which could have landed on a Bruce Solo Record. It instantly sits in your ear and doesn't let go.

The robust >Stratego< by Harris / Gers is patented maiden galloping. The chorus is kind of Brave new World flair from Bruce. Haven't heard them that tight in a long time. Great guitar work.

>Writing on the Wall< is a song which enriches Maiden-Folklore with a Southern twist. Great Hard Rock.

>Lost in a Lost World< is the first 9 Minute Harris Epic. It gets carried by foggy Keyboard sounds and an acoustic guitar while Bruce sings lowly and creates a big amount of tension. Creepy Choirs appear out of the fog and lead us into a Guitar and Bass attack after 2 minutes. We are right in it, resemblance of Fear of the Dark, Rime and Form the Greater good of God come to mind, without the same tempo and no rushed verses. The Chorus is sublime and is underlined with fine Synths. Highly addictive !

Actually Steve is very generous to us fans. He writes the long songs with killer ideas so that some of the fans can: 1. cut the songs 2. remix/master them as you like 3. speed up/slow down accordingly DIY :)

Besides these, I can't wait for this new album! Sounds to be a very good one, I already like the sound effects as the intro of Senjutsu (the song)!

Steve also wrote Futureal, one of the best rockers since the 80’s and under 3 min when played live :)
Good song but it reuses the riffs form HBTN and ROTAM. Cool solo though and the live rendition with Bruce is quite punchy.

Alright , first part of the first review (note , there are two in this magazine)

Review 1 of 2 Rating 9/10

The loudest Folk-Band on the Planet

Iron Maiden themselves probably never thought about sitting 3 years on a finished record and weren't able to talk to you about it. Recorded 2019 in Guillaume Tell Studios in Paris, a Studio they know and love. 22 Years ago they recorded Brave New World and also 2015 Book of Souls was created in the western part of Paris. Senjutsu, the name of their 17th output, was kept a secret way to long. After completion the Band toured through North- and South America, shortly after everyone was going their own way to different parts of the world. The last time they've been together was October 15th 2019 in Chile. They worked a little on Legacy of the Beast and Adrian Smith worked with Richie Kotzen on their Self titled collaboration. Then, Corona hit and everything fell kind of flat. After Bruce rejoined maiden in 2000, their musical output can be described in short : Songs are getting longer and more playful. This proud band is taking it's time in creating new songs. Some older fans might mourn the loss of fast paced rockers. But still, Maiden is extremely exciting to this day. If you are burning for more progressive songs while also getting older, they are right there for you. This also accounts for Senjutsu. Maiden successfully create are very thoughtful Double Album clocking in at 82 Minutes. It greatly differs from The Book of Souls. It's closer to Brave New World due to amazing melodies while keeping the progressive direction the Band hast taken since. You instantly hear how unagitated Bruce sings these songs without sounding rushed. Also noteworthy is the production by Kevin Shirley. this is the first record which allows you to put on some headphones and enjoy it. Senjutsu sounds powerful and clear. They didn't sound THAT good since their 80's.

The Brits start off the record kind of monumental and heavy, but also bulky. Nicko takes center stage in >Senjutsu< , drumming like a Shaman, swinging around his kit with ease. in combination with raw guitar chords , the first seconds remind me of Saigon Kicks - New World until it unfolds into a tough and thrilling Maiden Epos. This Harris / Smith song sounds more like a Smith / Dickinson song which could have landed on a Bruce Solo Record. It instantly sits in your ear and doesn't let go.

The robust >Stratego< by Harris / Gers is patented maiden galloping. The chorus is kind of Brave new World flair from Bruce. Haven't heard them that tight in a long time. Great guitar work.

>Writing on the Wall< is a song which enriches Maiden-Folklore with a Southern twist. Great Hard Rock.

>Lost in a Lost World< is the first 9 Minute Harris Epic. It gets carried by foggy Keyboard sounds and an acoustic guitar while Bruce sings lowly and creates a big amount of tension. Creepy Choirs appear out of the fog and lead us into a Guitar and Bass attack after 2 minutes. We are right in it, resemblance of Fear of the Dark, Rime and Form the Greater good of God come to mind, without the same tempo and no rushed verses. The Chorus is sublime and is underlined with fine Synths. Highly addictive !
Great notes about the sound! TWOTW showed this and it is very promising.

Back