Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Im only afraid that half of the song will be taken by chorus repeats. Other than that - im happy with Steve epics

Last edited:
The Parchement (Harris)...

Why would anyone write on the wall, just use the parchement
Why would you write on the wall, just use the parchement

Joke, joke...

I think we all agree that 'Arry indeed has made a lot of questionable decisions and some of his songs lately have been quite repetitive, but I always find it odd that there are lots of people in a Maiden forum genuinely "worried" or "disappointed" because goddamn Steve Harris wrote 4 epics.
Yeah...

To be honest I'm kinda surprised with the amount of criticism that TBOS has received lately on this forum.

I joined this forum in 2015 to wait for TBOS release and then discuss/share my opinions about the album. At that time, my impression was that the vast majority loved the album. Six years later and it looks like the vast majority don't like the album at all.

For me, TBOS is better than anything they have released since 7th son, which makes me even more optimistic about Senjutsu.

Yeah...

To be honest I'm kinda surprised with the amount of criticism that TBOS has received lately on this forum.

I joined this forum in 2015 to wait for TBOS release and then discuss/share my opinions about the album. At that time, my impression was that the vast majority loved the album. Six years later and it looks like the vast majority don't like the album at all.

For me, TBOS is better than anything they have released since 7th son, which makes me even more optimistic about Senjutsu.
I think it's because it hasn't aged as well as people hoped it would. On top of that, the production doesn't help it much ether. I like it but I go back to AMOLAD and TFF more than BoS.

I think it's because it hasn't aged as well as people hoped it would. On top of that, the production doesn't help it much ether. I like it but I go back to AMOLAD and TFF more than BoS.
And some of the songs just don't stick out enough. Shadow of the Valley is by no means a bad track for example, but do I get an itch to play it the same way I get about Brighter than a Thousand Suns? Not really, no. TBOS title track is epic though, probably the best reunion track.

I agree that AMOLAD has a better production than TBOS. But what about TFF and its muddy guitars? What about Bruce straining on Mother of Mercy and on other tracks? I think TBOS production is much better than TFF - it feels alive, while TFF feels kinda dead for me.

Anyway, just my opinion, but I'm kinda surprised that TFF has been receiving more love than TBOS.

I've been around for awhile @Shavasku, let me assure you that this is cyclical. TBOS was the shit for awhile, and now some people aren't fans of it. In a few years, there will be a re-assessment of it. Meanwhile, some people will fly the album's flag the whole time. It'll take about 10 years before it settles into a general consensus place. Maybe a little longer, as TFF is undergoing a bit of a re-evaluation right now.

Anyway, I know what I like. I like TBOS! There's a few songs I don't care for - as I didn't in 2015 - but overall, I still think it's a good album.

And some of the songs just don't stick out enough. Shadow of the Valley is by no means a bad track for example, but do I get an itch to play it the same way I get about Brighter than a Thousand Suns? Not really, no. TBOS title track is epic though, probably the best reunion track.
Really? Man, Shadows of the Valley is awesome.

Use The Time Machine, travel back to Powerslave days and put it in the album.

Instant classic.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it has happened in an alternative universe. Shadows of the Valley is a part of "Play Classics!" right there and people think it's overplayed.

I was over the moon when TBOS came out because it was the first Maiden album released after I became a fan, but I do agree with that. TBOS title track is by far the best for me as well, followed by IESF. TRATB and EOTC are really good in different ways too imo, the first being a fun jam to hear and awesome live, while Empire is an intricate composition that I like to hear when I'm in the mood for it. I wouldn't mind trimming a few minutes from both but it doesn't bother me that much. Those 4 are the longer tracks on the album so I think I'll like what Senjutsu has to offer. Other than those, one that stood out for me is TOAC, such a beautiful song. The rest are good songs but I don't have the urge to re-listen to them very often. I'd put it below TXF, BNW and AMOLAD for post 80s stuff, and on par with TFF.

Last edited:
Really? Man, Shadows of the Valley is awesome.

Use The Time Machine, travel back to Powerslave days and put it in the album.

Instant classic.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it has happened in an alternative universe. Shadows of the Valley is a part of "Play Classics!" right there and people think it's overplayed.
Ok ok, maybe a bad example as I also think it is one of the better tracks. Let's say... When the River Runs Deep or TGU.

I might take few steps back and away for little while, this announcement was as I hoped and expected (the best news in years), so Im definitely looking forward to the new album but I also have certain stuff going in real life aswell, so I will keep on reading stuff but gonna have some time off too.
I will be following as usual but might try to take the next 6 weeks a bit more casual, then when I got the album I will be back on fire as usual.
Im perhaps bit tired so I really have to give me some rest when the album is out..

Just got this feeling, maybe I've been too much lately involved with the cryptic clues and participated too much with the solving them.
I might give this couple days and see if I feel better. I got the 2nd vaccine today by the way..perhaps it's making me bit tired.

Last edited:
These song titles are very intriguing. Hell on earth is a title of a book about western prisoners of japan in ww2.? Darkest hour very well could be pertaining to Churchill/the pre-victory in the Battle of Britain era of WW2..?
Then the lost world, a Doyle novel about some of Steve’s favorite things: being lost/not knowing where you are, tribal warfare and dinosaurs.!
I haven’t been this excited since the first time I saw Eddie with cornrows.

Really looking forward to this album. I am bit wary of 4 epics by Steve though; let’s hope they cut the mustard.

Reactions: jcv
The Parchement (Harris)... Alternate take.

Don't you think I'm gonna destroy it?
Don't you think I could burn it?
Don't you think I could tear up the parchament?

Ok... Enough. Hopefully this song is a cracker.

I think this album is one of those precious in my life time that I've waited the most. This is surely among those few.
Im hopefully that Harris epics will truly be epic and special, he must have gotten inspiration from different aspects and so..

Bruce co-wrote that one (uncredited).

22 Acacia Avenue, The Fallen Angel, Wildest Dreams, Paschendale, Different World, The Great Unknown, When the River Runs Deep and Tears of a Clown are all Smith/Harris songs.
Also, not really related to your original thoughts, I always find it interesting that:
According to several interviews Dickinson was heavily involved in writing several of the album's songs, and in particular the tracks "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner" and "Run to the Hills".[3] Owing to his previous band Samson's ongoing contractual issues, Dickinson could not legally have any writing credit.[4]
Must have been really frustrating for Bruce to be on his first album with Maiden, but legally couldn't get his name to any credits.

Back