Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Woah, an album sung in Spanish and a record by a French band. You're not the typical British guy.
Edit : fantastic solo.

You bet! Although I have been living in the UK for a very long time, I was born in Spain (I have dual British/Spanish citizenship) and have Basque ancestry. The whole idea of chauvinism has never appealed to me. :)

Glad you liked the solo. The lead guitar player is Mikel Lazkano, a talented musician who has played with lots of different bands (not only hard rock ones) in the Basque country.

By the way, I am sure (based on your job/research interests) you will like the stage set of Leize's first concert of 2021.

1641981651556.png

You got a point about the whistling but generally I like the song. Quite a lot. I don't dig the Churchill theme much but reading the lyrics without context I like them a lot, except the naked part which doesn't click. The solo & guitar sound are terrific in my opinion and melody -wise it's the most closest to power ballad that they've ever written.

I'd pick Coming Home over it due to superior theme & lyrics but purely musically speaking, Darkest Hour is my best Maiden ballad.
Oh and I hate the seagulls, the length of it.
I also like it a lot (from the first listen). Classic ballad from Maiden - it's up there with ''Coming Home'' and ''Wasting Love''. The solos and guitar sound are indeed great. But it's true that the song is not so melodic like the rest of the album. About whistling the vocal melody, I can - the verses are great and the chorus is memorable imo. I personally don't think there is so much difference in the vocal melody during the verses of this song and ''Out Of The Shadows'', for example.

About the seagulls, I think it's great for the outro (although pretty long, like the outro of ''The Man Of Sorrows''), but maybe not so much for the intro.

Darkest Hour was my favourite song on first listen. Over time that perception has shifted, but I would still put it in the top 3 (after The Writing On The Wall and The Parchment).

I agree the lyrics are annoying though - I could've sworn it went "Here I stand"...

You bet! Although I have been living in the UK for a very long time, I was born in Spain (I have dual British/Spanish citizenship) and have Basque ancestry. The whole idea of chauvinism has never appealed to me. :)

I thought you were Galician. Most of my Spanish friends are Basques. Can you speak the most ancient native language in Europe?

I thought you were Galician. Most of my Spanish friends are Basques. Can you speak the most ancient native language in Europe?

One of my grandparents was from Galicia, so I can also claim to have some Celtic ancestry. :lol:

Sadly I cannot speak Basque (I know a few words that I use whenever I go to the Basque country so the locals can see that at least I try!). I’d love to learn the language though.

I hate it. Unmelodic. Just try to whistle the vocal melody. I don't know how such a thing has landed on this fantastic album. I guess Harris penning four songs wanted to let room to the others, even knowing some of their contributions were not good. For me, it's the worst Maiden song ever, and the lyrics are dull. When acknowledging Churchill was not perfect, Bruce cited his depression and alcoolism, forgeting his obsessive racism and his taste for eradication. A man who has ordered the firestorm of Hamburg in 1943, expecting it would kill as many civilians as possible, cannot be praised.

I can whistle the vocal melody. In fact I'd rather whistle than sing those lyrics! :lol:

I agree with you that Churchill was a massive piece of shit, notwithstanding his role in winning World War Two.

I can whistle the vocal melody. In fact I'd rather whistle than sing those lyrics! :lol:

I agree with you that Churchill was a massive piece of shit, notwithstanding his role in winning World War Two.
That piece of shit recommended several medals and honors to another piece of shit "bomber" Harris for destroy Dresden and other several German cities killing all the civilians who lived there. :turd:
Lyrics by Dickinson praising Churchill who awarded "Bomber" Harris nickname of Steve Harris in the early days. Ironic :facepalm:

That piece of shit recommended several medals and honors to another piece of shit "bomber" Harris for destroy Dresden and other several German cities killing all the civilians who lived there. :turd:
Don't forget the Bengal Famine. Or Gallipoli. Or Ireland. Or the tanks in George Square. Or...

Point being that yeah, he was a scumbag. Unfortunately he was also the right scumbag at the right time which is why history ignores all the bad shit he did.

There's a reason why the returning soldiers voted him out in 1945. They didn't like him either.

I never got the feeling that Dickinson was praising Churchill in Darkest Hour. Rather, he’s praising how a flawed and shitty man helped save his people from an even shittier man. He’s also kinda said this in interviews regarding the song, though I’m paraphrasing.

It’d be like in 10 years if Metallica wrote a song about how Trump saved the US during some crisis. (He didn’t, but follow my logic).

I never got the feeling that Dickinson was praising Churchill in Darkest Hour.
Maiden wrote a song about The Beast, a song about Icarus, a song about a Prowler, a song about a prostitute, a song(s) about war...

I don't think writing a song about a person, entity or subject means that the band is praising or endorsing that person, entity or subject.
Maiden do lots of storytelling. I can't remember them making ethical claims in their songs

I never got the feeling that Dickinson was praising Churchill in Darkest Hour.

Big time man.

Here I stand
In a serenade of glory...

Yeah he was.
+1

Also:

I faced them down the only one
I stood alone and warned the day would come
But they were wrong, appeasers every one

And not for the last time we all stand alone

I watch the sun move away
As I embrace the night
And my black dog has its day
For six long yеars, you shall not pass
Barbarians at the gates
We will ovеrcome

You sons of Albion awake

Defend this sacred land

Pretty positive outlook.

So then,

I have the fire, I have the force
I have the power to make my evil take its course

Is praising Satan, right?

Nobody would ever admit that but the words & images have a power within them, no matter the context.
For sure not something you'd sing in your language to your infant child to sleep. I know I wouldn't.

Lord of Light & The Parchment below, Lord of Light is the lucifer:
/
Infernal sacrifice of Hell
Fire breathing, lead the way
Mounds of bodies, as they all burn into one

Free your soul and let it fly
Give your life to the Lord of Light

We are the shadows of the one unholy ghost
In our nightmare world, the only one we trust
Lord of light in the darkness, our guide
Sell your soul not give them power
/

In any case, Darkest Hour is pretty much more clear and evident as pro Churchill than are the above mentioned, pro S.

Big time man.

+1

Also:

I faced them down the only one
I stood alone and warned the day would come
But they were wrong, appeasers every one

And not for the last time we all stand alone

I watch the sun move away
As I embrace the night
And my black dog has its day
For six long yеars, you shall not pass
Barbarians at the gates
We will ovеrcome

You sons of Albion awake

Defend this sacred land

Pretty positive outlook.

I'd say Bruce was probably even drooling when writing the lyrics.

Back