Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Seems to make sense, prog and power Metal seem to be a really big thing in Japan, more so than a lot of other territories. Don’t see the big deal.

Seems to make sense, prog and power Metal seem to be a really big thing in Japan, more so than a lot of other territories. Don’t see the big deal.
True... I just posted it, because I foud it a tad ironic. And also 1st and 2nd albums are great. Especially Helloween.

Where is it, and which ones are above, if you don't mind me asking?

Of course I do not mind you asking mate. Senjutsu would probably be at #5, right after the following albums:

1. Leize - Leize
2. Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament
3. Gojira - Fortitude
4. Smith/Kotzen - Smith/Kotzen

Don't get me wrong, I like the Maiden album and think Senjutsu is a solid record with some cracking tunes (and also some mediocre stuff). Unfortunately, I have not been blown away by it and, to be honest, I was expecting more from the band.

Gojira's album is actually really good. I used to dislike them a lot until they relesased Magma. The Smith/Kotzen thing is just completely alien to me: it's a bit like The Darkest Hour, I'm just unable to understand this music.

Gojira's album is actually really good. I used to dislike them a lot until they relesased Magma. The Smith/Kotzen thing is just completely alien to me: it's a bit like The Darkest Hour, I'm just unable to understand this music.
Isn't Smith/Kotzen just straight up hard rock? What don't you get about it?

Gojira are a great band. I got into them with Magma (I prefer them when they are less extreme musically than in their early days) and have followed them with great interest since then. It helps that I share their views on several things, which makes their lyrics more poignant.

Smith/Kotzen are heavily influenced by 70s hard/blues rock that I really like (Free, Pat Travers…), not to mention Adrian’s fantastic guitar playing and soulful voice.

Regarding The Darkest Hour, I do not agree with you: I can understand the music; it’s the lyrics I cannot understand (in the 21st century). :D

Isn't Smith/Kotzen just straight up hard rock? What don't you get about it?
Kotzen's voice to begin with: unbearable. Smith's is not very pleasant either. And the sound. And the writing. But to be honest, there is not a single Smith record I've liked in the past. I'm really happy he can explore those paths out of Maiden.

Senjutsu would probably be at #5,

no5' favorite :cool:

1. Leize - Leize
2. Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament
3. Gojira - Fortitude
4. Smith/Kotzen - Smith/Kotzen

The new no2 is great, but who is no1? :D

All kidding aside, I can't rank Senjutsu with mortal terms. I have it associated with so many great moments already, it has given me so many thrills, way over and above of what I could ever ask from a piece of art. So I'm grateful for it and keep it in a special place in my heart.

This is not the case (at all) with TBOS or TFF either. Truly a once in 16 -20 years moment.

The Senjutsu Darkest Hour? You don't like it?

The Senjutsu Darkest Hour? You don't like it?
I hate it. Unmelodic. Just try to whistle the vocal melody. I don't know how such a thing has landed on this fantastic album. I guess Harris penning four songs wanted to let room to the others, even knowing some of their contributions were not good. For me, it's the worst Maiden song ever, and the lyrics are dull. When acknowledging Churchill was not perfect, Bruce cited his depression and alcoolism, forgeting his obsessive racism and his taste for eradication. A man who has ordered the firestorm of Hamburg in 1943, expecting it would kill as many civilians as possible, cannot be praised.

You got a point about the whistling but generally I like the song. Quite a lot. I don't dig the Churchill theme much but reading the lyrics without context I like them a lot, except the naked part which doesn't click. The solo & guitar sound are terrific in my opinion and melody -wise it's the most closest to power ballad that they've ever written.

I'd pick Coming Home over it due to superior theme & lyrics but purely musically speaking, Darkest Hour is my best Maiden ballad.
Oh and I hate the seagulls, the length of it.

You got a point about the whistling but generally I like the song. Quite a lot. I don't dig the Churchill theme much but reading the lyrics without context I like them a lot, except the naked part which doesn't click. The solo & guitar sound are terrific in my opinion and melody -wise it's the most closest to power ballad that they've ever written.

I'd pick Coming Home over it due to superior theme & lyrics but purely musically speaking, Darkest Hour is my best Maiden ballad.
Oh and I hate the seagulls, the length of it.
A huge disagreement expressed in civil terms :). Thank you for that :applause:
:applause:

Kotzen's voice to begin with: unbearable. Smith's is not very pleasant either. And the sound. And the writing.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. Great songwriting, great playing and very good singing, although I admit Kotzen's voice can be a bit grating sometimes.

But to be honest, there is not a single Smith record I've liked in the past. I'm really happy he can explore those paths out of Maiden.

I am very happy he has been able to explore other musical interests outside of Maiden, as I personally find his solo work - especially Primal Rock Rebellion - to be the best out of all the solo stuff done by Maiden members this century.

Back