Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I think I have a postcard belongs to the Somewhere on Tour '87 in Japan with a giant Eddie as a Jedi fighting vs a Samurai with light sables destroying Tokyo city. I'm going to look for it.
Edit: I don't get it. I guess I've lost it :/

Last edited:
This lead melody part in Hell on Earth is played by Dave though:

I was thinking about this over the last week, as I'm recording a guitar cover for this song. I think the 3 of them play melody leads in this song. It's clear that the two guitars that play 2:46-3:00 are not the same that play from 3:01 on. Not sure if it's Smith/Gers (2:46-3:00) and Murray (3:01 onwards) or Smith/Murray (2:46-3:00) and Gers (3:01 onwards). I suspect it is the former. Interesting that Steve gave one solo and at least one melody lead for each in this song. It really looks like a career finale from different perspectives.

I was thinking about this over the last week, as I'm recording a guitar cover for this song. I think the 3 of them play melody leads in this song. It's clear that the two guitars that play 2:46-3:00 are not the same that play from 3:01 on. Not sure if it's Smith/Gers (2:46-3:00) and Murray (3:01 onwards) or Smith/Murray (2:46-3:00) and Gers (3:01 onwards). I suspect it is the former. Interesting that Steve gave one solo and at least one melody lead for each in this song. It really looks like a career finale from different perspectives.
It's Murray from 3:01, Gers doesn't slide like that, and doesn't use that much effects (very fat tone). Murray also plays the clean lead during the intro.

And from 2:46 to 3:00 that's Smith/Gers or Smith/Murray ?
Without listening to the song, I am gonna guess it's Adrian and Janick. They have at least played a lot of lead with Dave doing rhythm on recent albums. And with Dave playing the part right after it makes sense if he plays rhythm there.

And from 2:46 to 3:00 that's Smith/Gers or Smith/Murray ?
Smith plays the low octave and Gers the high one, as they usually do (e.g. TRATB ).

It's Murray from 3:01, Gers doesn't slide like that, and doesn't use that much effects (very fat tone). Murray also plays the clean lead during the intro.
There might be other changes in the lead throughout the song. For example, 6:25 it's Murray again?

There might be other changes in the lead throughout the song. For example, 6:25 it's Murray again?
That part sounds like Smith, because of the distinct vibrato style.

And regarding the lead during the intro in Hell on Earth, compare this one to Murray's clean parts in older songs - for example Brave New Word (he starts the song and is mixed in the centre) and The Nomad (the middle section is Dave on lead together with Jeff Bova on orchestration), and it's played in a very similar style to these. He hits the clean notes in a totally different way compared to how Gers plays. It's a just bit more smooth when Murray plays clean, hard to put into words.
@Kalata

Last edited:
I think some people who doesn't play an instrument themselves might have difficulties in distinguishing different guitar styles and sounds overall. It's easier if you ear is trained a little bit.

This lead melody part in Hell on Earth is played by Dave though:

But a lot of people think it's played by Janick, propably because Steve always gave him such parts, that are following the lead vocals, in the past.
I do happen to play guitar but i think its pretty easy to distinguish who plays what. Although ive heard a few people say it harder than ever on this album but i dont find thats the case. The tones and phrase of each player are totally different and very distinguishable

I do happen to play guitar but i think its pretty easy to distinguish who plays what. Although ive heard a few people say it harder than ever on this album but i dont find thats the case. The tones and phrase of each player are totally different and very distinguishable
Yeah, it's easy to know who plays what. The best trick for that is to watch some Maiden show and observe the guitarists playing their respective solos. When the camera is pointing to Adrian, listen to the sound of his guitar. Do the same with Dave and Janick. And then, you'll be able to distinguish every guitar sound on each studio track. ;)

Back