Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

OMG! Our shitty, FM "hard" rock/"metal" station is playing TWOTW right now! They've NEVER played new Maiden on any other post-reunion album!
Haha, I called up 93X in 1996 to request some Bruce Dickinson and the D.J. tried to make fun of me, suggesting I call the adult contemporary station instead. I said, “Dude, he was the singer for Iron Maiden!”, and the guy stammered a bit and said he mixed him up with someone else (I’m guessing Bruce Hornsby). I said, “They actually pay you for this?” and he sheepishly said, “Yeah, it’s pretty amazing, huh…”

Haha, I called up 93X in 1996 to request some Bruce Dickinson and the D.J. tried to make fun of me, suggesting I call the adult contemporary station instead. I said, “Dude, he was the singer for Iron Maiden!”, and the guy stammered a bit and said he mixed him up with someone else (I’m guessing Bruce Hornsby). I said, “They actually pay you for this?” and he sheepishly said, “Yeah, it’s pretty amazing, huh…”

I remember MTV had a competition during the Fear of the Dark era to win a trip to Argentina to see Maiden, and they had a little video chat interview with Bruce to announce the competition. The host accidently called him Bruce Springsteen, and Bruce started taking the piss out of her "Bruce what-inson?"

The biggest rock/metal oriented radio station here (cleverly called Radio Rock) gives Maiden quite a lot of airplay, but it's usually Trooper-RTTH-666-FOTD-Wasted Years etc. - obvious enough. Of course The Writing On The Wall has been up there as well recently.

I've said this somewhere here before, but as an interesting Maiden airplay-obscurity, the same station once played Age of Innocence and Only the Good Die Young right after one another. :D It was due to a special show though, their playlists are generally quite boring, as you'd expect.

The other, relatively big rock station (Radio City) has a knack of playing some deeper cuts. It's not like they'd blast out Infinite Dreams or Alexander the Great, but for whatever reason they've played stuff like From Here to Eternity or Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter every now and then. I mean, they're single releases anyway and especially the latter is quite a popular song, but they're relatively obscure choices anyway. Same with Metallica for example, they do dig the vaults a little bit outside the most obvious picks, but their playlists in general are pretty generic anyway.

Then again, I'm not expecting much more from commercial radio stations. I don't fancy listening to Maiden songs from the radio anyway. Any (positive) media & airplay coverage for the band is obviously good thing itself, I guess!
Also, for what I've listened to Radio Rock (in Finland) they seem also play Speed Of Light, but other than that it's of course the more usual and obvious tracks that get played like you said.

Last edited:
Radio Rock in Norway plays Maiden all the time. I have heard at least these songs being played

The Trooper
Where Eagles Dare
Run to the Hills
Children of the Damned
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Flash of the Blade
Iron Maiden (Live After Death version)
Fear of the Dark
The Wicker Man
Blood Brothers
These Colours Don't Run

I actually heard No Prayer for the Dying on some rock radio station here in Sweden, a few months ago. Felt kinda random

I forgot something: Bruce states his opinions on the post-reunion albums. He says BNW was fantastic, DOD was more experimental, AMOLAD is first-class and underrated, TFF was 'okay', TBOS was 'good' but Senjutsu is special.
My take:

BNW - classic.
DOD - great (and underrated).
AMOLAD - classic.
TFF - good.
TBOS - very good/great.

After the reading the reviews this is my hype ranking:

1. Hell on earth-"The best of Arry’s four epics, no question and another all-time album closer in a long line of legendary endings."

2. Days of Future Past - "The verse screams vintage Maiden with a proper, ripping lead from the long-standing guitar player, but that chorus is firmly rooted in the modern day and Bruce belts out his best vocal performance so far"

3. The Time Machine- "I label The Time Machine my favorite track on Senjutsu."

4. Senjutsu - "A lot of people will probably say this sounds a lot like Tool."

5. Stratego - "This reminds me a lot of “Ghost of the Navigator” the way they play around with the pre-chorus/chorus/post-chorus bits. Janick continues to bring forth some of Maiden’s best material.The keys, that same shrill effect from the title track, help give this a big, big Dance of Death vibe."

6. Darkest Hour - “Darkest Hour would be a snug fit on Dickinson’s Accident of Birth or The Chemical Wedding solo albums"

7. Death of the Celts - "Within just seconds, “Death of the Celts’ feels like a sequel to the Virtual XI favorite The Clansman.”

Last edited:
Death of the Celts - "Within just seconds, “Death of the Celts’ feels like a sequel to the Virtual XI favorite The Clansman.”
Something curious about this song is that it will have a 4-5 minutes long intro - this will be the Maiden song with the longest intro (along with S15... TFF).

I'll play along.

BNW: Amazing
DoD: Very good, underrated but a bit disjointed.
AMOLAD: Amazing
TFF: Very good
TBOS: Good.
Senjutsu: I'm hyped AF. Just ordered the red vinyl as well on top of black vinyl and CD (the latter is a birthday present for dad). The price? 666 SEK.

BNW: 6 of the songs absolute high standard classics, but there's a weak underbelly of the 4 weakest songs of the reunion era
DOD: All songs are good but not a lot of variety in tempo/running time, and the running order doesn't help, Paschendale should not be just in a random spot in the middle of the album
AMOLAD: all classics
The Final Frontier: some nitpicking on opening 3 tracks but otherwise all great
The Book of Souls: all great

This is the song the first reviewer compared to senjutsu in terms of build up

I really enjoyed that! I'm sure Maiden could make something very atmospheric and hard hitting with a song in that sort of style. I did a bit of googling on Saigon Kick and I see they're a glam band, but this song isn't glam at all thank God!

Can people please use the spoiler thing when writing about reviews and shit

And here is my take on the reunion albums:
BNW: Amazing
DOD: Good
AMOLAD: Amazing
TFF: Very good
BOS: Very good
Senjustu: Beyond fucking stoked

Back