Saxon

New single -> ''There's Something In Roswell''

A standard solid and nice Saxon song. The verses are right, but the chorus is just decent; it's not interesting enough (it is typical) and could have been darker imo. Another Metallica-esque intro. They bring the riffs! The calm middle part with the chaotic solos is a good idea (for a second single in a row). The outro (first part of the intro/pre-solos) riff is really cool. Overall, the song could have been much more interesting with a longer instrumental section.

A standard solid and nice Saxon song. The verses are right, but the chorus is just decent; it's not interesting enough (it is typical) and could have been darker imo. Another Metallica-esque intro. They bring the riffs! The calm middle part with the chaotic solos is a good idea (for a second single in a row). The outro (first part of the intro/pre-solos) riff is really cool. Overall, the song could have been much more interesting with a longer instrumental section.
All the songs on 'Hell, Fire And Damnation' are solid and great. This is my favorite Saxon album since 'Battering Ram'. :) My official review of this record will come very soon. ;)

I agree with you. I personally feel that these two new songs are solid, but they are still a bit pedestrian ;) Hoping for something like The Pilgrimage on this new album :rocker:

Loving the new album today. As much as I’m looking forward to the new priest album based off the 3 songs released so far by JP (which I think are all very good) I can see this album beating the priest album overall for me.

I thinks biffs vocals are fantastic and quite ridiculous that he sounds this good at 73. Makes me think Maiden have a long time left yet if Saxon can still churn out out music at this high level at their advanced age.

Even more excited to see Priest and Saxon in march now at Wembley. Dragging the non metal fan wife along :):shred:

E
Loving the new album today. As much as I’m looking forward to the new priest album based off the 3 songs released so far by JP (which I think are all very good) I can see this album beating the priest album overall for me.

I thinks biffs vocals are fantastic and quite ridiculous that he sounds this good at 73. Makes me think Maiden have a long time left yet if Saxon can still churn out out music at this high level at their advanced age.

Even more excited to see Priest and Saxon in march now at Wembley. Dragging the non metal fan wife along :):shred:
Exactly what I thought when I listened to the album two weeks ago. <3:rocker: My review, normally, coming on sunday or on monday. :)

Yes it is crazy how good Biff sounds! He really hasn’t lost much, if any range.

The new album is solid as a whole piece. Great energy. The new guitarist made a difference in the sound with even heavier riffs and ripping solos. I think they are trying to sound heavier and more like classic Priest if you will (especially with the solos).
Biff sounds great, the solos and riffs are very good and should be noted, but most of (the songs) the choruses sound samey and uninteresting. I mean, they release albums every 2 years. One album needs variety imo. The songs are not bad by any means.

Best songs: ''Madame Guillotine'', ''Kubla Khan And The Merchant Of Venice'', ''1066'' and the title track.

Madame is probably the best one. A longer song with a heavy mid-tempo riff (really familiar riff) and a great melodic and memorable pre-chorus & chorus (with different lyrics). The 1st calm solo is a great idea and fits the song, while the 2nd one is a classic metal solo.
Kubla Khan is really saved by the cool pre-chorus. The riff, verses, middle part and solos are also very cool.
With 1066 is the same. This is the best riff on the album. The melody after the chorus really completes the song. The chorus follows the pre-chorus differently and that makes the difference. Another great calm middle part and faster solos.

As for the rest of the songs, they're all the same - fast, great riffs and solos, and a simple chorus. Only ''Fire And Steel'' stands out because of its wild and many solos. A true fast classic metal banger! ''Super Charger'' has a classic riff (let down by the chorus), ''Pirates Of The Airwaves'' is a typical 80's song with its verses and chorus. The other mid-tempo song, ''Witches Of Salem'', is a much weaker version of the mid-tempo beast from the previous album, ''Black Is The Night''. But I have to say that the production and the tempo are rewarding to these songs.

The last 2 albums are very strong.

Solid solid album. I have to say that I liked it a lot, the running time of the songs are right, catchy choruses and riffs. But I think the problem with the production is they sound like Judas Priest Firepower or so. You can imagine Rob Halford singing the title track or Ritchie Faulkner playing all those riffs.

My favorite songs are the title track, Kubla Khan, Roswell, Fire and Steel, 1066 and Witches of Salem. Thank God they have not include a ballad kind of song.

Back