Saxon

So about a month ago I ended up going on a work trip to London, saw Priest and Saxon because it aligned perfectly. Essentially hadn't heard of them at all and was blown away by their performance, they earned a fan that night. Since then I've heard the The Eagle Had Landed, Power & Glory, Denim & Leather, Crusader, Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Hell, Fire And Damnation, and Heavy Metal Thunder albums.

What do people recommend as the next steps to take in their massive discography.

So about a month ago I ended up going on a work trip to London, saw Priest and Saxon because it aligned perfectly. Essentially hadn't heard of them at all and was blown away by their performance, they earned a fan that night. Since then I've heard the The Eagle Had Landed, Power & Glory, Denim & Leather, Crusader, Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Hell, Fire And Damnation, and Heavy Metal Thunder albums.

What do people recommend as the next steps to take in their massive discography.
I would recommend trying more from each decade. Innocence is No Excuse (1985), Solid Ball of Rock (1991), Unleash the Beast (1997), Lionheart (2004), Sacrifice (2013), and Thunderbolt (2018). There is some good variety amongst those albums. However, there are good songs on ALL their studio albums, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Whilst I love the 80’s albums, even the much maligned albums like Destiny and Rock the Nations, personally my favourite period of Saxon is late 90’s until now.

I would recommend to anyone to start with Unleash the beast which is a superb album and then just work your way through each album release after that. Personal favourites are Metalhead, Killing Ground, Lionheart and battering Ram.

Once you’ve got through all these albums then I’d dip back in the 80’s. Sound like you already have the classic 80’s albums so you should start with innocence is no excuse and work your way through the albums up to Unleash the beast.

In my opinion Saxon don’t have any truly stinker albums but, their style does change a lot over the years and some people prefer certain periods of their career and despise others. From the debut up until Power and the glory they were a straightforward British heavy metal band with a style and songs that would put them in the pack with Priest and Maiden. Then they tried to crack America and Starting with innocence is on excuse they added a lot more pop melody to their sound and their albums started to sound like twisted sister mixed with motley crue. They came back to a more straightforward harder rock sound on solid ball of Rock in the 90’s and kept this going for the next few albums until in 1997 they released Unleashed the beast. A thumping Heavy Metal platter full of awesome songs. They went heavy and much more metal than they had ever been and have kept this style up ever since.

Hope that helps and have fun discovering the catalogue of a fantastic heavy metal band.

Back