Saxon

Saxon were rather uneven in the early days, the exception album is Strong Arm of the Law which is great from start to finish. 1980 was a great year for Heavy Metal. Iron Maiden, British Steel, Heaven and Hell and Strong Arm of the Law. I do think Saxon produced most of their peak songs in the first half of the 80's, but the average quality is much higher now.

Saxon were rather uneven in the early days (the exception album is Strong Arm of the Law which is great from start to finish), although I do think they produced most of their peak songs in the first half of the 80's.

From 80 to 84 is really a golden period for them and then it all goes dodgy until Dogs of War steadies the ship in the mid 90's after a decade of trying to flirt with the charts. I think i saw a video from that period where they were glammed up a bit with lots of dry ice and sultry looks at the camera. Pretty funny because even in the 80's they were never the prettiest band...

Saxon were rather uneven in the early days..., I do think Saxon produced most of their peak songs in the first half of the 80's, but the average quality is much higher now.
I guess we can say ''uneven'', yes. I would say a song like ''Lionheart'' (from 2004) is one of their peak songs too, but the big classics were indeed in the first half of the 80's - their golden period is from 1980 to 1984. In the 90's they have some great albums like Solid Ball Of Rock, Dogs Of War and Unleash The Beast. They get better with age, but I don't think some of their new albums are better (as a whole piece) than some albums from the 80's and even the 90's. Although somehow the quality of the songs is much higher now.

The new album is growing on me. I instantly liked it, as usual, but the hooks are rooting in my heads and I'm starting to appreciate little nuances, licks and details. I still haven't warmed up to the title track's chorus, which brings down an otherwise good song, but that is countered by one of the album's best solos.

Biff and son Sebastian Byford apaprently made a quarantine album together. It is really fucking good. Good enough that I instantly ordered the vinyl.

The new album is growing on me. I instantly liked it, as usual, but the hooks are rooting in my heads and I'm starting to appreciate little nuances, licks and details. I still haven't warmed up to the title track's chorus, which brings down an otherwise good song, but that is countered by one of the album's best solos.
Yep, it's easily one of their catchiest albums. I like the title track's chorus a lot.

The album tour hasn't started yet, but the stage set for their 2022 shows is great:

saxon live 2022.jpg

Another new Saxon album in 2024 - with a big tour to follow. They never stop! :rocker:

Paul Quinn does stop apparently. :(

Bring back Graham Oliver. It would make sense since the Oliver/Dawson Saxon project ended in 2021. Interesting side note: according to the Blaze Bayley book, Blaze was briefly considered as the singer for Oliver/Dawson Saxon, but it never made it past the initial phone conversation.

New album in january 2024. :) More informations tomorrow. ;)

View attachment 31808
Wow. I never expected such a cover from them (the title is also atypical for them). It's their most detailed in a while. One of their best imo. It looks epic.
I wonder who is the artist?

I hope they will bring some dark and longer stuff to fit the cover (not just heavy) and maybe do some ''experiments''. The latest album was solid (especially as a whole piece), but since they release albums every 2 years, they should try different stuff as well.
Who will be the 2nd guitarist on the album. Quinn is needed.

Wow. I never expected such a cover from them (the title is also atypical for them). It's their most detailed in a while. One of their best imo. It looks epic.
I wonder who is the artist?

I hope they will bring some dark and longer stuff to fit the cover (not just heavy) and maybe do some ''experiments''. The latest album was solid (especially as a whole piece), but since they release albums every 2 years, they should try different stuff as well.
Who will be the 2nd guitarist on the album. Quinn is needed.
There are two possibilities about the artist who painted this cover : Gyula Havancsak or Stan W. Decker. :)

About the epicness, I think there will be some great surprises. ;)

The 2nd guitarist on the album will still be Paul Quinn. Diamond Head's guitarist is only helping Saxon on stage.

New album will be released on January 19, 2024.

Track list:

1.The Prophecy
2.Hell, Fire And Damnation
3.Madame Guillotine
4.Fire And Steel
5.There's Something In Roswell
6.Kubla Khan And The Merchant Of Venice
7.Pirates Of The Airwaves
9.Witches Of Salem
10.Super Charger

Producer: Andy Sneap.

Biff (about the title of the album): ''It was a very 'Yorkshire' saying back in the day''.

The first single is the title track:

Back