Saxon

I like the song. It's not something typical for their sound (even now) and that's what I wanted. 6 minutes length! This is the way. The song has a modern Priest vibe, a bit of Accept in the pre-chorus and of course the classic melodic Saxon in the later part of the chorus. There is even a very short twin harmony. The overall heavy mood of the song is fitting, although they could have added a dark intro (it's cool though) instead of the spoken part and a darker chorus. The opening Metallica-esque heavy riff is superb, while the verses are very fitting. The kind of pre-chorus is needed because of the actual chorus, in which the vocals from the title of the song are accompanied great. But as I said, they should have done it even better (something like Bruce's Killing Floor chorus). Because of the melodic bit of it, I think it's nice. The highlights are the melodic bridge riff and the great Egyptian-sounding solo after it (I wish both were longer). The instrumental section is very good. Biff scream at the end! Overall a solid and modern sounding song for the band.

Some of the song titles intrigued me, and I really hope they will deliver some ''surprises'' (longer songs & instrumental sections) and more metal (not heavy rock) sound/approach for this album with such cover and themes. This song is a good start. The Prophecy also would have been a good album title. It seems Quinn won't be part of the album or?

Listening to new Saxon... Imo, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death and The Book of Souls albums already do sound little bit similar to Andy Sneap's style, or at least within his 'framework'. Only much worse. Heck, even Senjutsu fits into that style.

The 2nd guitarist on the album will still be Paul Quinn. Diamond Head's guitarist is only helping Saxon on stage.
Not true. This is from the press release: "Hell, Fire And Damnation is an album which sees SAXON investigate all areas of history and mystery amidst ten of their most confident and thunderously powerful songs yet. (...) The guitars of Doug Scarratt and Brian Tatler are fresh and fiery, a perfect complement to each other, carrying an overall energy and fury which will have fans salivating."

Not true. This is from the press release: "Hell, Fire And Damnation is an album which sees SAXON investigate all areas of history and mystery amidst ten of their most confident and thunderously powerful songs yet. (...) The guitars of Doug Scarratt and Brian Tatler are fresh and fiery, a perfect complement to each other, carrying an overall energy and fury which will have fans salivating."
Previously, Biff and Paul have said that the line-up would be the same for the new album. I don't understand. Brian has normally been hired only to replace Paul on stage... The band has surely changed its mind in meantime... :blink:

Last edited:
Anyone would suck as Iron Maiden's producer because Steve's shot hearing still has final say.

An Andy Sneap produced Maiden album without Steve deciding on the final mix would be their best sounding record since BNW.
A Kevin Shirley produced Maiden album without Steve deciding on the final mix would also be the best sounding record since BNW.

New album will be released on January 19, 2024.

Track list:

1.The Prophecy
2.Hell, Fire And Damnation
3.Madame Guillotine
4.Fire And Steel
5.There's Something In Roswell
6.Kubla Khan And The Merchant Of Venice
7.Pirates Of The Airwaves
9.Witches Of Salem
10.Super Charger

Producer: Andy Sneap.

Biff (about the title of the album): ''It was a very 'Yorkshire' saying back in the day''.

The first single is the title track:

Hmmm... Mediocre at best.

The best bit is definitely Brian Blessed's intro, although he could have used this one!

Previously, Biff and Paul have said that the line-up would be the same for the new album. I don't understand. Brian has normally been hired only to replace Paul on stage... The band has surely changed its mind in meantime... :blink:

That seems to be the case. I was also under the assumption that Paul Quinn would be playing guitar on the albums following his retirement from the live shows.

Last edited:
Andy Sneap has his signature sound that he uses with a slight variation on every album. I would hardly call it basic sounding though. It's the million dollar sound in regards to that kind of sonic ideal. The fact that it's on countless album doesn't remotely devalue it to basic, same as Iron Maiden's songs aren't basic just because there are a lot of them that share similar traits.

Andy Sneap has his signature sound that he uses with a slight variation on every album. I would hardly call it basic sounding though. It's the million dollar sound in regards to that kind of sonic ideal. The fact that it's on countless album doesn't remotely devalue it to basic, same as Iron Maiden's songs aren't basic just because there are a lot of them that share similar traits.

That is my main issue with Andy Sneap. You get the "Andy Sneap sound" instead of the best possible sounding album from the band being produced without sounding too similar to other albums you have produced. This is one of the reasons why Martin Birch was so amazing: he was able to make albums sound amazing whilst the bands retained their unique personality.

That is my main issue with Andy Sneap. You get the "Andy Sneap sound" instead of the best possible sounding album from the band being produced without sounding too similar to other albums you have produced. This is one of the reasons why Martin Birch was so amazing: he was able to make albums sound amazing whilst the bands retained their unique personality.
It's essentially the same thing though, as AC/DC and Motörhead having a very specific and narrow musical identity. They weren't really moving bodies, but everything they did fit into a small compartment or box. It's exactly the same thing, and that's also the general criticism of the two bands - Their music sounds so similar that If you've heard one album, you've heard them all (and some apply that to Maiden as well, but Maiden's creative box is tangibly bigger). If you want the Sneap sound, you go with Sneap.

And while Birch is one of my favorite guys (and probably the favorite) I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of people wishing his signature go-to sound was Powerslave, or whatever.

The whole Saxon issue is a little up in the air. Paul Quinn retired from touring then a couple of months went out on the road again with the Cards.

He also appeared on stage with Graham Oliver in Japan I believe which is intriguing, great to see the classic guitar twins reunited albeit not in Saxon. Oliver has Parkinsons now so is unlikely to tour much and Dobby has already retired.

Biff really is last man standing from the classic lineup.

Back