Sabaton

Just bought my ticket to the show with Hammerfall in Phoenix Thursday 10-10! Seen Hammerfall before but this will be my first time for Sabaton! Trying to bring co-workers with me

Saw Sabaton for the first time last night! God what an experience. FULL club and very enthusiastic! Great performance both musically and visually.

Hammerfall opened and they did great winning the crowd over.

Sabaton's setlists have gotten stale as of late. It's almost the same setlist they've been touring for the past 3 or 4 years, but with just some Great War tracks thrown in.

It's what's putting me off getting a ticket for Wembley in February, after I was left a tiny bit disappointed at Bloodstock.

The Sabaton live experience is still really good, and I don't have the same setlist complaint - but I also haven't thought about it. I've seen them twice, both headline shows, plus @terrell39's list:

Played 3x:
Ghost Division
Swedish Pagans
The Last Stand
Carolus Rex
Resist and Bite
Night Witches
Primo Victoria
Shiroyama
To Hell and Back

Played 2x:
The Lion From the North
Blood of Bannockburn
Sparta
Winged Hussars
The Lost Battalion

Played 1x:
Great War
Fields of Verdun
The Attack of the Dead Men
The Red Baron
The Price of a Mile
Bismarck
82nd All the Way
Uprising
Cliffs of Gallipoli
The Final Solution
White Death
The Art of War
Attero Dominatus
Union (Slopes of St. Benedict)
Screaming Eagles
Poltava

Yeah when I look at it, 9 songs of 18 at 3x is pretty high for a band like this. They're always gonna play about half of those, but I'd really like to see them drop Resist and Bite, which is just a totally underwhelming song.

Sabaton's setlists have gotten stale as of late. It's almost the same setlist they've been touring for the past 3 or 4 years, but with just some Great War tracks thrown in.

My only major complaint with Sabaton is their opening and closing tracks at gigs. I totally understand wanting to start and end on strong tunes, but IMO Night Witches would make a far superior opening song and Ghost Division would be a killer closer. The only song I wouldn't mind never hearing again is Swedish Pagans because 1. it doesn't fit their theme and 2. the whole "this my least favorite/Tommy's favorite song" bit is stale.

I've seen Sabaton 6x (and this week will make 7) in the last 5 years and I've heard 27 different songs. Three of these shows were opening slots and two of them from the same exact tour (and they still added/changed a couple tunes). Using LC's method, here's my breakdown:

Played 6x:
Carolus Rex
Ghost Division
Primo Victoria
To Hell and Back

Played 4x:
40:1
Night Witches
Swedish Pagans
The Art of War

Played 3x:
Blood of Bannockburn
Metal Crue
Resist and Bite
Sparta
Winged Hussars

Played 2x:
Gott Mit Uns
Shiroyama
The Last Stand
The Lost Battalion

Played 1x:
Attero Dominatus
Union (Slopes of St. Benedict)
Cliffs of Gallipoli
Into the Fire
A Lifetime of War
Lion from the North
Screaming Eagles
The Final Solution
Uprising
White Death

The largest category is still one-off choices, so they're still doing pretty good in my book.

I'll be seeing them both on Saturday so I'll most likely get to see their first duet performance. The song choice is seriously a bummer though, I hope it doesn't take a spot away from any actually good song.

While I remember, I did hear some gossip recently about attempts to organise a special Sabaton gig in the UK to commemorate a historical event. It may never come off, but great if it does.

Back