Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
@Welsh Phantom Great apart from replacing Wales with England when talking about The Trees?

I think it was all inspired by the lyrics. As you say, it’s this evil little fairy tale with a nasty ending. It was an example of writing to the lyrics and trying to do a soundtrack to that lyric. It’s also the fact that we were out in the country and Alex always has an acoustic guitar nearby. He’s an absolutely marvelous acoustic player. So it sort of seemed like an “English countryside” way to start the song [laughs]. You’re definitely inspired by your surroundings wherever you’re working. Even though you’re working eight hours a day in a bunker, in between that you’re watching English television, walking in the English countryside; there are sheep talking to you in the early morning when you’re trying to sleep. The full bucolic ambience of the place starts to seep in. The lyrics came first, and we wanted to construct a dynamic little tale as a soundtrack to those lyrics.

@Welsh Phantom Great apart from replacing Wales with England when talking about The Trees?

I think it was all inspired by the lyrics. As you say, it’s this evil little fairy tale with a nasty ending. It was an example of writing to the lyrics and trying to do a soundtrack to that lyric. It’s also the fact that we were out in the country and Alex always has an acoustic guitar nearby. He’s an absolutely marvelous acoustic player. So it sort of seemed like an “English countryside” way to start the song [laughs]. You’re definitely inspired by your surroundings wherever you’re working. Even though you’re working eight hours a day in a bunker, in between that you’re watching English television, walking in the English countryside; there are sheep talking to you in the early morning when you’re trying to sleep. The full bucolic ambience of the place starts to seep in. The lyrics came first, and we wanted to construct a dynamic little tale as a soundtrack to those lyrics.

I noticed that (and starting growling ha ha) but then I noticed he went on to talk about the recording studio in London, so I think he was referring to that and maybe confusing memories with Rockfield. Easily done 40 years later I guess. Geddy is intelligent enough to know the UK is not called England, and that Wales is a different country ;)

It rather sounds like he forgot they did the preparations in Wales. All the countryside talk, sheep included(!), all that happened in Wales, but he still calls it English.

New 40th anniversary of Hemispheres is disappointing. For 40 years we have waited for a live version of the title track (side 1) and now that they finally have the opportunity to release it, all they give us is just the last chapter (VI)?! Instead we get yet another live version of 2112. Sure it's the entire song and it is back when Geddy's voice was still strong but that leads to another problem. The song 2112 is all in 1 track. Sure that is how it is meant to be heard, but not every time. Maybe sometimes I want to hear just part of it, say VII for example. Should have been broken down into individual tracks like on Different Stages. Very disappointing. Just tried to listen to 2112. Terrible production. Alex is using guitar effects during Overture I never heard before that are too distracting. Also, when his guitar is not panning back and forth between the channels, it is mainly in the right channel, not the left where it usually is on live lps (which is where it should be as that matches our point of view; Alex is on our left)

I hope in 2022 when they hopefully release Signals 40th anniversary, they include the live versions of Chemistry and Countdown we have waited so long for.

Last edited:
^ That was lovely! :ok:
(Although I could have done without the delay towards the end.)

Also, see in the first clip WP put up: are they playing with two bass guitarists? o_O

I have a theory: the Presentation chapter of 2112 is not just about our hero presenting his new found guitar and music to the Priests (powers that be), but is also about what Rush went through when they presented the previous lp Caress of Steel to their label, management, & fellow musicians.

What say you?

If we're following that theory, it makes sense that the album after 2112 is A Farewell To Kings since that album isn't very good. At least not in my opinion. Xanadu is the only good song on that album...well, it's a fricking magnificent song. Nothing else on the album comes even close to just slightly matching it in quality.

Back