Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Earthshine drags on for too long.

One Little Victory
Peaceable Kingdom
Secret Touch
Earthshine
Out Of The Cradle

Let me put it this way: I hear that Earthshine is one of the few warmer, melodic songs (or at least: one of the few with a good melody). Very different from most other "cold" songs.

Now I also know how to describe the weakness of this album, compared to others:
Besides the big amount of cold (heartless) songs, mainly consisting out of repetitive riffs, we get an unusual big amount of weak vocal melodies. Lee's singing is more than often not pleasant to the ears (a great example is his agonizing contribution in the opening track One Little Victoryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yuck, what an annoying tone!).

I am used to his voice, but even a voice that I am used to can be annoying when the lines he sings suck.
  1. One Little Victory
  2. Ceiling Unlimited
  3. Ghost Rider
  4. Secret Touch
  5. Out Of The Cradle

Eliminated:
One Little Victory - 3 votes
Peaceable Kingdom - 3 votes
Out of the Cradle - 3 votes

I quite like Ceiling Unlimited and Earthshine but at the moment my picks to advance are Ghost Rider and Vapor Trails - perhaps the two most personal lyrics Neil has ever written.

Ceiling Unlimited
Secret Touch
Earthshine

Vote for Between The Wheels was accidental.

Apparently I'm blind. I did not see this survivor and you guys are already on Vapor Trails. :eek:

The Enemy Within
Between the Wheels
Ceiling Unlimited

Whoa! The first thing you do is vote for Between the Wheels? (Shakes angry fist)
Kidding of course. Welcome aboard.

Between the Wheels and I are taking a break from each other. It used to be my second favorite Rush song ever... so I went overboard with it and now I can't stand it. :p

Eliminated:
Ceiling Unlimited - 6 votes
Secret Touch - 5 votes
Earthshine - 4 votes

Ghost Rider is promoted to quarterfinals and Vapor Trail to semifinal.

Snakes and Arrows has joined the battle!

The Larger Bowl
Hope
Bravest Face
Good News First

Snakes and Arrows is a really good album. It's a relief after the last couple albums, which are the two worst Rush albums, imho. The sound is great, the songs are really good, and it's just overall consistent. The fact that this album was mostly written on acoustic guitars also gives it a melodic flavor that hasn't really been heard from Rush before. It's a unique album. Also has a new Rush "classic" with Far Cry.

My original take on Snakes and Arrows was negative.I think it was largely because I found the album so negative.
I like dark music, but I usually like it dark and angry. I found this album more gray and hopeless and unrelentingly depressing.
Several times I played the album from start to finish and inevitably I'd find it blurring together into a murky, bleary sameness.

It finally started to coming together when random songs would pop up on the iPod and I'd find myself enjoying them outside the context of the album.
And I'd have to say I ultimately agree with your points except the first two. While the album has good songs and holds together very well thematically, I've come to conclusion as a whole it is weaker than the sum of its parts.

(Which of course for Survivor, doesn't really matter a bit)

Again some nice melodic songs get the first beating. I like Bravest Face. There's a certain melancholy in the track that I like and Alex has an unusual solo. Nothing gray about it.

Also I have a Time and Motion deja-vu: this time it is Spindrift. Alex said: "We wanted to create tension and creepiness until it gets to the chorus, which is very pumping and uplifting."
The probably only exciting track on the album gets a vote first round, from the one who likes angry and dark music! ;)
Still I don't think it's the best track, but imo absolutely not the worst.

If Far Cry is a classic, then it's only because the band made it so by playing it often. Very energetic track, lots of power, but also lots of the same, monotone continuity.

As is often the case when we disagree Foro, the heavier emphasis I tend to put on lyrics is playing a role.

Bravest Face, Good News First, Faithless (and We Hold On and The Way the Wind Blows) comprise most of the gray I was talking about.
They are all decent songs on their own. But they all seem to blend together for me.
It's not that they are the same musically, just the same style and tempo, with the same weary "what-a-rotten-world-we-live-in-but-I'll-stand-over-here-and-keep-going-with-a-pained-expression-on-my-face" lyric and feel.

Far Cry is great because even though it has exactly the same lyrical themes, the music gives them a pumped-up "I'm going to do something about it" vibe instead of the defeated tone I get from the five above.

My vote against Spindrift is a different story. It is very much an interesting track technically. It's just that the melody doesn't appeal to me at all.

Boo Earthshine's elimination. Madness, I say.

I do enjoy the songs on the album separately a lot more than together, but I really like the album itself, too. The problem is that I'm always in the mood for the songs, but I have to be in the right mood for the album.

The only song from the album I'd place in my top 10, though, is Armor & Sword. However for now...

The Way the Wind Blows
Good News First
We Hold On

Back