RUN FOR YOUR LIVES WORLD TOUR (2025/2026)

Please, let's not start with them being "senile" now. Dementia is not a joke and people are throwing these words around far too carelessly.

That won't happen because we have you who tells everybody the right point of view and who is immature, who is weird etc.

The commenter did not even use the word "dementia". "Senile" means less physically and mentally capable due to age.

I would not use "senile" either because it can be seen as offensive but "dementia" was brought in by you not him.

That won't happen because we have you who tells everybody the right point of view and who is immature, who is weird etc.
::)

The commenter did not even use the word "dementia". "Senile" means less physically and mentally capable due to age.

I would not use "senile" either because it can be seen as offensive but "dementia" was brought in by you not him.
Eh, it depends on the dictionary. It's not uncommon to define senility as age related dementia.
As for the bolded, it seems you agree with my overall point, so is it worth it arguing semantics when we agree on the broader point?

Ah, good to finally know it depends on the dictionary! I have learned in my medical training it is an incorrect definition that laypersons sometimes have.
Thank you!

"Dementia is often incorrectly referred to as "senility" or "senile dementia," which reflects the formerly widespread but incorrect belief that serious mental decline is a normal part of aging."

Source

Maybe this is different in English, compared to other languages, but from what I've found "senile" has fallen out of favor in medical circles and is usually used as a synonym for dementia by people without medical training, often negatively. The comment I responded to said:

"The guys are all getting old and possibly senile now."

which can be interpreted in such a way, especially when the rest of the comment jokes about memory modification. I'm not mad at that comment, nor am I in any place to police the conversation. I'm just asking people to think twice about some of those jokes, because these conditions (and I specifically mentioned them separately) aren't really funny. Not all jokes can be winners.

Feel free to make fun of my comments and my stance if it makes you feel better I guess. I tried to be as charitable as possible, but it seems you're not interested in finding common ground on this.

You can choose to get offended by something just as you can choose not to.

You guys are heavy metal fans. Suck it up. No one was making a personal insult or referencing your family directly.

Back